Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I briefly browsed this thread, and I have 3 questions:
1) I never realized it was problematic to carry a tote?? I was planning on carrying this one - http://www.saksoff5th.com/alice-leather-trimmed-small-tote/0493974649540.html (not huge - 12½"W X 12½"H X 6"D - but still a tote... and I'm more petite)
2) I saw that it's recommended to wear a "matching" dress & blazer if not going for a full-on suit. I was planning on just wearing a gray dress (this one in the "heather flannel" color) with a black suit jacket - they aren't part of a matching set but that should be ok, right?
3) what is the general consensus on changing into flats for the tour? I'm not great at walking in heels - my feet get sore pretty fast
[I am fairly petite and young looking, so yes I know I absolutely must wear heels for the interview]

I've changed into flats for the tour on 80% of my interviews and the only remark I've gotten has been, "Ooohh that's a good idea.." So I think it's ok! On all my tours, I was told that I definitely wasn't being evaluated by the tour guide, so I really doubt it's a problem 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So before my first interviews a few weeks ago I thought this thread erred slightly on the neurotic side and now I think more people should read up on what to wear because I saw some totally inappropriate outfits! Super short suit-type sleeveless dresses with no jacket, one girl wearing a floral print dress and oxford shoes (yea, I know) and a plethora of other professional dress faux pas. I'm a fan of the nontraditional especially when it comes to something like expressing yourself through clothing but honestly some of what I saw was just distracting and made it seem like the interviewee wasn't interested in making a good impression so keep on with the good work on here everyone!!
 
I briefly browsed this thread, and I have 3 questions:
1) I never realized it was problematic to carry a tote?? I was planning on carrying this one - http://www.saksoff5th.com/alice-leather-trimmed-small-tote/0493974649540.html (not huge - 12½"W X 12½"H X 6"D - but still a tote... and I'm more petite)

Totes are simply more casual and therefore, not appropriate for interviews. Secondly, I have to wonder what you're carrying that you need such a large bag. It's not an overnight trip. It looks high maintenance (and believe me, I'm high maintenance). Lastly, the accompanying photo with the 5'5" model makes the tote you've selected look huge.
2) I saw that it's recommended to wear a "matching" dress & blazer if not going for a full-on suit. I was planning on just wearing a gray dress (this one in the "heather flannel" color https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-clothing/suiting/dresses/PRDOVR~02537/02537.jsp?color_name=black) with a black suit jacket - they aren't part of a matching set but that should be ok, right?

No. Mismatched suits or dresses with jackets are more casual and are not recommended.

3) what is the general consensus on changing into flats for the tour? I'm not great at walking in heels - my feet get sore pretty fast
[I am fairly petite and young looking, so yes I know I absolutely must wear heels for the interview]

It's fine.

I've changed into flats for the tour on 80% of my interviews and the only remark I've gotten has been, "Ooohh that's a good idea.." So I think it's ok! On all my tours, I was told that I definitely wasn't being evaluated by the tour guide, so I really doubt it's a problem 🙂

If the tour guide is a medical student or employed by the school, I would not count on them not "evaluating you". They may not be on the admissions committee but if there is something beyond the pale with a certain candidate, it does get reported. So do not led your guard down on the tour.

oh one last question - I know that wearing a slightly pointy pump can be ok, especially since I tend to look young... are these too pointy? http://www.dsw.com/shoe/calvin klein nadine leather pump?prodId=290883&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006

They're fine.

Hi all..

New member here. This residency interview is a new thing for me and I feel like I need guidance in what is considered appropriate wear. I am contemplating between carrying a portfolio like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SQZE5U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or carrying a small purse like this one plus bring a simple leather portfolio:

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Collection-Crocodile-Leather-Satchel/dp/B0089RBVBI/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_8

Thank you!

I don't think you need a purse and a portfolio.
 
Totes are simply more casual and therefore, not appropriate for interviews. Secondly, I have to wonder what you're carrying that you need such a large bag. It's not an overnight trip. It looks high maintenance (and believe me, I'm high maintenance).
well basically I wanted to bring a tote so I could bring a change of shoes, not sure how else I could manage that 🙁
 
well basically I wanted to bring a tote so I could bring a change of shoes, not sure how else I could manage that 🙁
I see. I guess I assume that a pair of flats can fit into a regular sized purse.

My main issue with totes is that some people bring things that look like beach bags (eg, cotton, bright colors etc) or a carpet bag.
 
Just finished an interview and there were a couple of women's clothing issues that I'm sure have been mentioned but I'll bring them up anyway.
1) Please remove any extra stitching keeping your slits together (tacking)
2) Leave the large tote at home but if you must bring one please don't use your light colored one.
And last but not least
3) Make sure your skirt is long enough!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Just finished an interview and there were a couple of women's clothing issues that I'm sure have been mentioned but I'll bring them up anyway.
1) Please remove any extra stitching keeping your slits together (tacking)
2) Leave the large tote at home but if you must bring one please don't use your light colored one.
And last but not least
3) Make sure your skirt is long enough!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent advice and worth repeating! Also note that tacking stitches can be found on the back vents on your jacket as well. Make sure to remove those before wearing.
 
Excellent advice and worth repeating! Also note that tacking stitches can be found on the back vents on your jacket as well. Make sure to remove those before wearing.
I am so tempted to say something when I see the basting stitches! So far I have managed to stay quiet...
 
Worst thing I observed from fellow female interviewees (at DO schools) was the sheath dress without jacket - or maybe worse - sheath dress with cardigan sweater "look." I was really glad to be dressed appropriately thanks to excellent advice from real-life female role models and reading this thread, and wondered how uncomfortable those women must have felt. I don't mean to throw anyone under the bus, but... DON'T BE THAT LADY WITHOUT A SUIT!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would a bag like this be okay? I don't really own a purse (just a cross-body bag) and the only other bag I have aside from a backpack is a beige/camel leather tote. It looks pretty similar to this minus the logo and the weird zippers.

coach-handbag-beige-gall-44019-0p.jpg
 
Would a bag like this be okay? I don't really own a purse (just a cross-body bag) and the only other bag I have aside from a backpack is a beige/camel leather tote. It looks pretty similar to this minus the logo and the weird zippers.

coach-handbag-beige-gall-44019-0p.jpg
Well I assume it won't match or even coordinate with your suit and shoes so by definition, it's more casual.
 
Flip-flops?!?!?!? I completely understand that not everyone can afford really nice shoes, but COME ON! The only thing I can imagine that would be less professional is sweatpants.
 
At my first two interviews, everyone was, for the most part, dressed appropriately. However, for my most recent interview, I was shocked at the short dresses, the mismatched jackets with skirts or pants, and the number of heels that were over 3 inches. One pair looked at least 4.5 inches. And I saw brown mixed with grey, I saw skirts or dresses that landed halfway between hips and knees when standing, and I saw a grey mixed with black. No flip flops...but still...don't wear stilettos!
 
I'd also recommend staying away from hairstyles like this. I've seen it a few times and (while a great style in general) it is incredibly distracting on interview day. Also IMHO it looks rather high maintenance.
upload_2014-10-18_17-8-24.png
 
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but is there ever a time when dress pants and a matching jacket is inappropriate/less professional as compared to a skirt suit?
To put it kindly, I've got a booty and most all skirts (unless a few sizes up and thus ill fitting) feel too form fitted. Or, does anyone know of skirts that would work nicely with curves?
 
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but is there ever a time when dress pants and a matching jacket is inappropriate/less professional as compared to a skirt suit?
To put it kindly, I've got a booty and most all skirts (unless a few sizes up and thus ill fitting) feel too form fitted. Or, does anyone know of skirts that would work nicely with curves?

If we have similar body types, then those skirts a few sizes up will be correct on the hips but too big on the waist, is that your problem? If so, get one that does fit correctly on the hips and get it tailored in on the waist. I tried on at least 30 skirts and all of them had this problem, so I don't think it's brand related. Pants are fine, but I personally found skirts more flattering for curves (pants were cutting me at my widest part vs skirts at my thinnest).
 
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but is there ever a time when dress pants and a matching jacket is inappropriate/less professional as compared to a skirt suit?
To put it kindly, I've got a booty and most all skirts (unless a few sizes up and thus ill fitting) feel too form fitted. Or, does anyone know of skirts that would work nicely with curves?
A skirt suit is more traditional but there is nothing wrong with wearing trousers if it is more flattering for you.
 
Flip-flops?!?!?!? I completely understand that not everyone can afford really nice shoes, but COME ON! The only thing I can imagine that would be less professional is sweatpants.
I haven't had sweats yet, but we did have jeans last year (x2). They were both dark wash, though!
We weren't the only ones to notice. Neither of them had a position at the end of the cycle despite excellent scores from the best schools in the country...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed reading all you guys' posts! Since the weather is getting a little chillier, what do you think of wearing a knit vest over a collared button-up shirt, under the suit jacket? I am one who gets cold easily.
 
I really enjoyed reading all you guys' posts! Since the weather is getting a little chillier, what do you think of wearing a knit vest over a collared button-up shirt, under the suit jacket? I am one who gets cold easily.
Please don't.

You'll be inside.

Most people are nervous at interviews.

Nervous people tend to sweat.

Never let them see you sweat.

Knit vests are casual. Save them to wear on Christmas with some wool pants in front of the fire.
 
Wow... a really unfortunate choices indeed... Speaking about hose and manicure:
1.Do we need hose with pants too?
2. I don't usually do my nails. Can I get away with clean and short nails without manicures?

Last question, out of curiosity, is wearing those unfortunate choices a deal breaker for programs? I read that the first impression is very important and will influence how the interview go. I wonder what happened to these individuals in the matching process?

Thank you!
 
Wow... a really unfortunate choices indeed... Speaking about hose and manicure:
1.Do we need hose with pants too?

Knee high hose are fine.

2. I don't usually do my nails. Can I get away with clean and short nails without manicures?

Absolutely. In my field we don't have long nails nor do we wear polish, so as long as they are clean and well kept (preferably not obviously bitten down), its fine.

Last question, out of curiosity, is wearing those unfortunate choices a deal breaker for programs? I read that the first impression is very important and will influence how the interview go. I wonder what happened to these individuals in the matching process?

Thank you!

Its not a deal breaker. BUT it will cause most of us to view your application with more of a jaded eye, looking for other reasons to drop you off the match/accepted list. Its just not worth risking.

Since most of my interviews are at the residency level, I'm also looking at applicants with the question of whether or not I would be proud to call this person a colleague. Someone who is that clueless about societal proprieties does not generally come off on the positive side of that question.
 
Thanked you Winged Scapula! 🙂 I laughed when I read the "bitten nails" part!

Another thing, I am a very petite female. I managed to get a pants that fits just right, but the paired blazer was too loose for me.The blazer that fits, is the same color (black) but not a pair with the pants. You can notice the fabric is different, but the color is very close. Would this be okay?
 
Thanked you Winged Scapula! 🙂 I laughed when I read the "bitten nails" part!

Another thing, I am a very petite female. I managed to get a pants that fits just right, but the paired blazer was too loose for me.The blazer that fits, is the same color (black) but not a pair with the pants. You can notice the fabric is different, but the color is very close. Would this be okay?

It's obviously not ideal but if you don't have time to get the jacket altered then you may not have any other choices.

I have the opposite problem so tend to wear a lot of separates or knit wrap dresses which are more customizable.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been following this thread, but I can't recall. What's the consensus on snow-appropriate shoes? My interview invitation stated to wear clothing appropriate for the weather. If I'm wearing a pantsuit, can I wear boots underneath? I don't own a pair of dressy boots. Any recommendations?

I wasn't planning on bringing a purse at all, but it turns out I am going to need to bring a manual breast pump with me. So in that case, can someone just recommend the best handbag for me to purchase?

I appreciate the help.
 
I have this suit which is about six years old. Is it dated? It's a wool suit. I am either going to have this tailored or buy a new one.
 

Attachments

  • 1413767239959.jpg
    1413767239959.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 1413767254630.jpg
    1413767254630.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 220
I have this suit which is about six years old. Is it dated? It's a wool suit. I am either going to have this tailored or buy a new one.

It would be easier to tell with you in it. Lapels look a little wide and it looks pretty light; the latter of which is of more concern to me especially if you are interviewing in snowy areas.
I've been following this thread, but I can't recall. What's the consensus on snow-appropriate shoes? My interview invitation stated to wear clothing appropriate for the weather. If I'm wearing a pantsuit, can I wear boots underneath? I don't own a pair of dressy boots. Any recommendations?

You can wear boots, although I would recommend "shoe-ties" or ankle high boots as more appropriate. However, there's a difference between "snow boots" and dressy boots. The latter aren't any more "appropriate" or practical for snowy weather than the standard pump, so I'm not sure there's a benefit to buying them.

I wasn't planning on bringing a purse at all, but it turns out I am going to need to bring a manual breast pump with me. So in that case, can someone just recommend the best handbag for me to purchase?

I appreciate the help.

In YOUR case, I would actually recommend either a tote style or a doctor's bag. Something like this (50% today): http://www.anntaylor.com/pebbled-si...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=6600

or this satchel: http://www.anntaylor.com/sutton-sat...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=6600
 
Back for more advice about outfits -- this time on weatherproofing.

I have absolutely no idea what is professional-attire appropriate in terms of outer layers. Any dressy coat is ok? And scarves are fine, yes? Will there be something like coat-check? (Or... I'm guessing it would look fine to carry a coat draped over one arm? Are trench-coats ok?)

And then in terms of shoes, Winged Scapula just mentioned ankle high boots(?), and I don't even know what shoe-ties are...? Because I don't understand weather, I have given some thought to wearing pumps in New England/New York Nov-Dec, but pumps in the cold would look crazy/stupid... right? Are knee or mid-calf boots never ever appropriate? What to do if I get cold very, very easily?
 
Last edited:
Back for more advice about outfits -- this time on weatherproofing.

I have absolutely no idea what is professional-attire appropriate in terms of outer layers. Any dressy coat is ok? And scarves are fine, yes? Will there be something like coat-check? (Or... I'm guessing it would look fine to carry a coat draped over one arm? Are trench-coats ok?)

There will be a hanging rack or some other device to hang your coat.

Work appropriate coats are generally wool, although lighter weight trenchcoats may be appropriate depending on the weather. If you are wearing a skirt the coat should be longer.The most practical color would be black. I would stay away from coats with hoods, very bright colors, lighter colors in snowy locations, puffer jackets, or anything that would look appropriate on a ski slope. Scarves are fine.

Think long, black, single or double breasted, wool or cashmere.

And then in terms of shoes, Winged Scapula just mentioned ankle high boots(?), and I don't even know what shoe-ties are...? Because I don't understand weather, I have given some thought to wearing pumps in New England/New York Nov-Dec, but pumps in the cold would look crazy/stupid... right? Are knee or mid-calf boots never ever appropriate? What to do if I get cold very, very easily?

I'm not sure why you think pumps would look crazy or stupid in cold weather. The vast majority of your interview day will be inside. You aren't going to be traipsing around in piles of snow even if you have to go outside briefly for the tour. Pumps are the appropriate shoe choice regardless of the weather outside.

By mid calf boots I assume you're speaking of knee high boots. Boots are considered casual and are never appropriate for a formal business interview. If you wishdo you wear snowboots on the walk in from the car and then change into pumps, that is fine. But I cannot recommend wearing midcalf or knee-high boots with your skirt.

I interviewed and trained in the NE and rarely saw someone wear boots to the interviews even if it was snowing heavily outside.

Shoe-ties are just little ankle high booties that are styled like a pump and could be worn under trousers if you're insistent upon not wearing pumps.
 
There will be a hanging rack or some other device to hang your coat.

Work appropriate coats are generally wool, although lighter weight trenchcoats may be appropriate depending on the weather. If you are wearing a skirt the coat should be longer.The most practical color would be black. I would stay away from coats with hoods, very bright colors, lighter colors in snowy locations, puffer jackets, or anything that would look appropriate on a ski slope. Scarves are fine.

Think long, black, single or double breasted, wool or cashmere.



I'm not sure why you think pumps would look crazy or stupid in cold weather. The vast majority of your interview day will be inside. You aren't going to be traipsing around in piles of snow even if you have to go outside briefly for the tour. Pumps are the appropriate shoe choice regardless of the weather outside.

By mid calf boots I assume you're speaking of knee high boots. Boots are considered casual and are never appropriate for a formal business interview. If you wishdo you wear snowboots on the walk in from the car and then change into pumps, that is fine. But I cannot recommend wearing midcalf or knee-high boots with your skirt.

I interviewed and trained in the NE and rarely saw someone wear boots to the interviews even if it was snowing heavily outside.

Shoe-ties are just little ankle high booties that are styled like a pump and could be worn under trousers if you're insistent upon not wearing pumps.
This is very helpful. I guess I'm just worried because I've walked thus particular campus many times in the snow and it's usually not plowed or shoveled. There are often slippery areas and areas with a few inches of snow on the ground. I don't want to have to carry an extra pair of shoes so that is why I just wanted to wear a pair of boots to at least protect my feet from water.
 
This is very helpful. I guess I'm just worried because I've walked thus particular campus many times in the snow and it's usually not plowed or shoveled. There are often slippery areas and areas with a few inches of snow on the ground. I don't want to have to carry an extra pair of shoes so that is why I just wanted to wear a pair of boots to at least protect my feet from water.
So I guess in that case you simply have to decide which is the lesser of two evils: wearing boots which arent considered strictly professional or carrying an extra pair of shoes. I'm afraid we can't make that decision for you
 
Thanks Winged Scapula for all your answers! I have another question: some schools allow us to change after our interviews before we head home. Sorry if this is a weird question, but will they judge us based on how we "dress" in our casual attire?
 
So I guess in that case you simply have to decide which is the lesser of two evils: wearing boots which arent considered strictly professional or carrying an extra pair of shoes. I'm afraid we can't make that decision for you
Thank you! I very much appreciate your input. I'll probably have both pairs of shoes on hand and just hope it doesn't snow.
 
It would be easier to tell with you in it. Lapels look a little wide and it looks pretty light; the latter of which is of more concern to me especially if you are interviewing in snowy areas.


You can wear boots, although I would recommend "shoe-ties" or ankle high boots as more appropriate. However, there's a difference between "snow boots" and dressy boots. The latter aren't any more "appropriate" or practical for snowy weather than the standard pump, so I'm not sure there's a benefit to buying them.



In YOUR case, I would actually recommend either a tote style or a doctor's bag. Something like this (50% today): http://www.anntaylor.com/pebbled-si...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=6600

or this satchel: http://www.anntaylor.com/sutton-sat...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=6600

Thanks for the recommendations for purses! I especially like the satchel.

I don't think I'd be cold in it or are you saying I would look strange wearing a light suit?
 
Thanks for the recommendations for purses! I especially like the satchel.

I like that satchel as well; we were having a work event last night at Ann Taylor and I was tempted to buy it for myself LOL!

don't think I'd be cold in it or are you saying I would look strange wearing a light suit?

It's not that you would look strange in a light color suit or necessarily be cold but rather it's along the lines of the rules about wearing darker colors in the fall and winter. In general lighter color suits are most appropriate in warmer climates, such as in the south, and during the spring and summer.

In addition if you're interviewing in a snowy climate, a light colored suit will get dirty mucheasier and faster.
 
What do you think about buttoning your collared dress shirt? Is it okay to show a bit of chest as long as it isn't revealing or offensive?
 
What do you think about buttoning your collared dress shirt? Is it okay to show a bit of chest as long as it isn't revealing or offensive?

Save that for the weekend. Outside of the top button being unbuttoned (which is okay depending on how the shirt is cut), you really shouldn't be doing something like this if you have to ask if it's okay.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like that satchel as well; we were having a work event last night at Ann Taylor and I was tempted to buy it for myself LOL!



It's not that you would look strange in a light color suit or necessarily be cold but rather it's along the lines of the rules about wearing darker colors in the fall and winter. In general lighter color suits are most appropriate in warmer climates, such as in the south, and during the spring and summer.

In addition if you're interviewing in a snowy climate, a light colored suit will get dirty mucheasier and faster.
OK I'm just going to get a BR lightweight wool suit in black. 🙂