Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This thread is really long and I have skimmed through a good number of pages. I don't know if I missed it, but has anyone asked about lipstick. I think that is always my main issues, not knowing what color is appropriate to wear. I generally wear nudes, but then that looks like I have nothing on. And outside of that only shades of red tend to look good with my skin tone, I can't wear pinks or at least have yet to find a shade of pink that is natural enough that doesn't make me look like a clown. I am scared even if I wear a soft shade of red I might not be looked at as professional. Maybe I am over thinking this too much.
I always use this for professional settings: http://www.clinique.com/product/1603/4772/Makeup/Lip-Glosses/Almost-Lipstick. It's subtle and pretty universally flattering and I don't have to worry about it smearing on anything.
 
Hi there,
Was hoping to get some informed opinions on two things for my interview in march and how they will come across. i have heard its good to have something small to make you stand out but obviously i don't want to come off as unprofessional or distract them from what I'm saying!
good or bad idea?
1. small nose ring
2. i am a brunette but the past year i have been dyeing my hair a sort of bright red color. not over the top crazy red but it is definitely not my natural color. i think i look better with it red but again, want to make sure i am not distracting the committee

thanks so much for your help
 
Hi there,
Was hoping to get some informed opinions on two things for my interview in march and how they will come across. i have heard its good to have something small to make you stand out but obviously i don't want to come off as unprofessional or distract them from what I'm saying!
good or bad idea?
1. small nose ring
2. i am a brunette but the past year i have been dyeing my hair a sort of bright red color. not over the top crazy red but it is definitely not my natural color. i think i look better with it red but again, want to make sure i am not distracting the committee

thanks so much for your help
No nose ring.
No bright dye.
You do not want to be remembered by anything you wore.
Edit: n=thousands
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,
Was hoping to get some informed opinions on two things for my interview in march and how they will come across. i have heard its good to have something small to make you stand out but obviously i don't want to come off as unprofessional or distract them from what I'm saying!
good or bad idea?
1. small nose ring
2. i am a brunette but the past year i have been dyeing my hair a sort of bright red color. not over the top crazy red but it is definitely not my natural color. i think i look better with it red but again, want to make sure i am not distracting the committee

thanks so much for your help
Neither. The only thing that should stand out is YOU. The applicants who have been insanely successful this cycle are the ones who you don't necessarily notice. n>10
 
I think the shade of the color matters more than the color itself. Nude and pink are actually more fashion looking. I went with a serious China Red. It looked formal, simple and standard.

I always use this for professional settings: http://www.clinique.com/product/1603/4772/Makeup/Lip-Glosses/Almost-Lipstick. It's subtle and pretty universally flattering and I don't have to worry about it smearing on anything.

Thanks guy. I actually think I look really good in red and those are the type of shades I usually wear, but my mother says that it is unprofessional and looks disgusting to wear colors like that. But, then again my mother is a conservative Asian immigrant.
 
Thanks guy. I actually think I look really good in red and those are the type of shades I usually wear, but my mother says that it is unprofessional and looks disgusting to wear colors like that. But, then again my mother is a conservative Asian immigrant.
If you are asian then you should especially well suited to handle red. I'm saying this as an asian female in her 30s.
Here is a photo comparing red Vs. more neutral color to show you what I mean when i said that pink and nude are suited for more fashionable appearance.
http://natehairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/bob-hairstyles-asian-hair.jpg
Don't you think the red is more formal looking?

Since I can't show you my interview photo. I tried to find a sample photo online, but the results were mostlly NSFW when I google "Asian female in suit with red lip". :smack:
 
If you are asian then you should especially well suited to handle red. I'm saying this as an asian female in her 30s.
Here is a photo comparing red Vs. more neutral color to show you what I mean when i said that pink and nude are suited for more fashionable appearance.
http://natehairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/bob-hairstyles-asian-hair.jpg
Don't you think the red is more formal looking?

Since I can't show you my interview photo. I tried to find a sample photo online, but the results were mostlly NSFW when I google "Asian female in suit with red lip". :smack:

I am not surprised that they are all NSFW. But, I am mixed (half Asian half White) and I think red is a classy color and very formal sometimes, I just have people that don't agree with me obviously. With the right outfit you look perfectly classy or professional, but I was just scared that I was wrong. My mother keeps telling me to go nude and she thinks that is more professional, which is why I needed a few second opinions.
 
Hi everyone! SoCal girl who grew up in tropical climates here, interviewing in North Chicago in a few weeks. Was thinking of wearing a pant suit but I cannot, for the love of God, find pants that suit me (pun not intended). I have an outer coat and a skirt suit (grey) but am worried that my legs will freeze to death. Is it okay to wear black tights underneath? I also have professional looking boots that I've been wearing wuth pant suits (back when they fit me) but they go a few inches above the ankle. Can I wear those with the skirt and tights? Thanks in advance.
 
Hi everyone! SoCal girl who grew up in tropical climates here, interviewing in North Chicago in a few weeks. Was thinking of wearing a pant suit but I cannot, for the love of God, find pants that suit me (pun not intended). I have an outer coat and a skirt suit (grey) but am worried that my legs will freeze to death. Is it okay to wear black tights underneath? I also have professional looking boots that I've been wearing wuth pant suits (back when they fit me) but they go a few inches above the ankle. Can I wear those with the skirt and tights? Thanks in advance.

You could always wear tights and take them off in the rest room when you get there then put them back on when you leave. It's winter and people are used to seeing these kinds of things. Keeping the tights on indoors will probably make you miserable.
 
I apologize if this has been answered, I have no fashion sense as far as interview attire and have been trying to read and compile some information but I may as well collaborate all my questions in one post.

1.) I'm a tall lady and don't wear heels, it seems like flats are a no-go from what I've been reading, should I wear a heel instead? I was planning on finding a black flat until perusing through this thread.

A tall slender woman in heels exudes confidence and looks terrific so don't, whatever you do, try to look less tall.

Regarding the red lipstick -- There is such a thing as too red. The relatively sheer lip tint posted above seems like a great way to bring in a little color without veering into 'porno' or 'fashionable' territory. If you need something darker, a more muted shade of berry, brick or wine will work.
 
Hi everyone! SoCal girl who grew up in tropical climates here, interviewing in North Chicago in a few weeks. Was thinking of wearing a pant suit but I cannot, for the love of God, find pants that suit me (pun not intended). I have an outer coat and a skirt suit (grey) but am worried that my legs will freeze to death. Is it okay to wear black tights underneath? I also have professional looking boots that I've been wearing wuth pant suits (back when they fit me) but they go a few inches above the ankle. Can I wear those with the skirt and tights? Thanks in advance.
You may wear tights and booties with your skirt for commuting but they would be considered too casual for the actual interview. As noted above, you can change out of them and into sheer hosiery when you arrive.
 
Would a simple black/white windowpane blouse still be too bold of a pattern? I'd probably be wearing it with a navy suit (haven't decided on pants or skirt yet)
c66fd16fe0c738cd9c4cd7afecf1ae16.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would a simple black/white windowpane blouse still be too bold of a pattern? I'd probably be wearing it with a navy suit (haven't decided on pants or skirt yet)
c66fd16fe0c738cd9c4cd7afecf1ae16.jpg

That particular shirt is much too casual, but a windowpane pattern, in general, is not too bold or out there. But do consider the point @FriendlyFH makes about how much/little would be visible under a suit though because it might just be distracting. You don't want your interviewer to be subconsciously trying to figure out the pattern instead of looking at your face.
 
  • Like
Reactions: FFH
Thank you all! I do like the shirt (if I find it I'll probably buy it for casual wear), but perhaps sticking to a shell is safer. Maybe a cream colour or emerald green?

Just to clarify what @FriendlyFH said about the slim opening of a suit, is it considered sloppy or informal to have the blazer open? I didn't give that much thought until now, as I haven't tried on my suit yet (for clarification, I'm Canadian so our interviews are much later and the dress code tends to be less formal than down in the US).

Also, I think I saw it earlier in the thread but I don't think there was a clear consensus: is a Michael Kors Hamilton bag okay for interviews? I removed the dangley key thing. I'm not sure if the black/gold is too flashy.
MK_Large_Hamilton_Saffiano_Tote_Black_large.JPG
 
Thank you all! I do like the shirt (if I find it I'll probably buy it for casual wear), but perhaps sticking to a shell is safer. Maybe a cream colour or emerald green?

Just to clarify what @FriendlyFH said about the slim opening of a suit, is it considered sloppy or informal to have the blazer open? I didn't give that much thought until now, as I haven't tried on my suit yet (for clarification, I'm Canadian so our interviews are much later and the dress code tends to be less formal than down in the US).

Also, I think I saw it earlier in the thread but I don't think there was a clear consensus: is a Michael Kors Hamilton bag okay for interviews? I removed the dangley key thing. I'm not sure if the black/gold is too flashy.
MK_Large_Hamilton_Saffiano_Tote_Black_large.JPG

No. You want something sleek and professional. Stick with black tho.

Eta: i know it's boring but look for a small leather buisness bag. Men's department. No embellishments. Professional interviews are just not a place to carry a purse. Or to wear your long hair down. You'll want one for residency interviews anyway.
 
  • Like
Reactions: FFH
Thanks @giantswing, somehow you managed to guess my next question which was what to do with my hair (I think there's a separate thread for interview hair and makeup though?)
Is it really true that purses are a no for interviews? Can someone else weigh in on this? I've seen links to other purses that were considered appropriate. I can understand why the one I linked has too many embellishments, however. I still will around for a briefcase as it might be useful in the future.
 
Thanks @giantswing, somehow you managed to guess my next question which was what to do with my hair (I think there's a separate thread for interview hair and makeup though?)
Is it really true that purses are a no for interviews? Can someone else weigh in on this? I've seen links to other purses that were considered appropriate. I can understand why the one I linked has too many embellishments, however. I still will around for a briefcase as it might be useful in the future.
Levenger has been making functional, durable, elegant and reasonably priced professional goodies for many decades. http://www.levenger.com/Bags-11/Women-s-Bags-1001.aspx

Purses won't be a deal breaker. But it's just not ideal.

For hair, the same rules apply. The sleeker the better.
 
Michael kors and the one just linked and geez. What are you guys doing that you have so much money to put on something you will carry for a little bit and then stow away in the locked room/closet most schools provide the day of where no one will see? And why are you giving it up to become a doctor?
 
Gold and silver are not appropriate fabric colors (or shoe colors).

I wore a gold/tan shirt under my conservative navy suit. I thought it looked classy. The gold wasn't shiny, metallic, or reptilian in appearance. It must've been ok since I got accepted. I wanted to be just a little bit out of the box. Perhaps that would have turned out differently at another school.

I get the don't do anything/ wear anything/ bring anything that will distract from your stellar personality and performance, but really some of the stuff on this thread seems excessive.
 
I wore a gold/tan shirt under my conservative navy suit. I thought it looked classy. The gold wasn't shiny, metallic, or reptilian in appearance. It must've been ok since I got accepted. I wanted to be just a little bit out of the box. Perhaps that would have turned out differently at another school.

I get the don't do anything/ wear anything/ bring anything that will distract from your stellar personality and performance, but really some of the stuff on this thread seems excessive.
This is a thread about "best practices." Have I accepted people who didn't follow them? Yes.
Do I let my students repeat these mistakes in their residency interviews? You can guess.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is a thread about "best practices." Have I accepted people who didn't follow them? Yes.
Do I let my students repeat these mistakes in their residency interviews? You guess.
It's amusing to me that many applicants chase after academic perfection, but then when it comes to dress for the part, which is no small deal, somehow they are no longer perfectionists. Of course, an otherwise good candidate can get away with many things, I got away with grammar mistake on my AMCAS primary, but we can all agree that it's not the best practice.
 
Last edited:
Michael kors and the one just linked and geez. What are you guys doing that you have so much money to put on something you will carry for a little bit and then stow away in the locked room/closet most schools provide the day of where no one will see? And why are you giving it up to become a doctor?

I already owned the Michael Kors bag (it was 30% off when I bought it), I wasn't planning on buying it just for interviews. I'm not much of a purse girl, so I only own a couple, but I try to buy decent quality so it won't fall apart and it'll last for a while. One could argue that medicine is a way to maintain a nice lifestyle but that's obviously not my motivation.
 
So what's the consensus on wearing black stockings with a dark skirt-suit? It's winter, so is the nude stockings necessary?

PS: The weather is going to be like 12 degrees on the day of my interview, skirt suit is still acceptable right?
Stick with nude stockings. It's more professional and has no risk of looking...sexual? A skirt suit is fine in cold weather since you'll be inside for most of the day.
 
So what's the consensus on wearing black stockings with a dark skirt-suit? It's winter, so is the nude stockings necessary?

PS: The weather is going to be like 12 degrees on the day of my interview, skirt suit is still acceptable right?
It's not like black hose are going to be warmer then nude ones right?

A very sheer black is fine but it is generally considered more appropriate for evening although the rules are slightly changing. I think either is fine assuming you're talking about sheer hose not tights.
 
Last edited:
I wore a gold/tan shirt under my conservative navy suit. I thought it looked classy. The gold wasn't shiny, metallic, or reptilian in appearance. It must've been ok since I got accepted. I wanted to be just a little bit out of the box. Perhaps that would have turned out differently at another school.

I get the don't do anything/ wear anything/ bring anything that will distract from your stellar personality and performance, but really some of the stuff on this thread seems excessive.

Why yes, please keep telling an adcomm that they're wrong when they're making the decisions lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No lol. A few months ago I remember reading on this thread that black panty hose was appropriate for the winter seasons. That's why I brought tht up.
Thanks though!
Here's what I think about black hose:

- they remind me of the 80s, when we girls wore a lot of colored and patterned hose and tights
- they seem sexier to some people (not me necessarily)
- they are better for evening and I could stretch that to include winter as well
- they must be very sheer to work; tights only with casual clothes
 
I already owned the Michael Kors bag (it was 30% off when I bought it), I wasn't planning on buying it just for interviews. I'm not much of a purse girl, so I only own a couple, but I try to buy decent quality so it won't fall apart and it'll last for a while. One could argue that medicine is a way to maintain a nice lifestyle but that's obviously not my motivation.
I don't usually quite axiom but "haters gonna hate". Don't worry about what they say.
 
Haters gonna hate but frankly, I find this whole thread sickening.

I saw a med school dean wearing a puffy coat yesterday.

Requiring women (but not men) to wear heels makes me wonder if we will someday require foot binding, too.

If I had one wish for med school interviews it would be to go to "business casual" for interviews. The suits applicants are wearing are costumes that have no relationship to the world they live in now or the one they hope to live in for the next 4 years. /rant
 
Why yes, please keep telling an adcomm that they're wrong when they're making the decisions lol.

I'm not saying the adcomm is wrong. We all know there are exceptions and that people get in who don't necessarily do everything right. When I applied to PA school in 1998 I didn't know any better and interviewed in a brown plaid skirt and matching suit jacket. I still don't know how I was supposed to have known about wearing a navy suit back then. I was truly clueless. I now know that the outfit was FAR from best practice, and I'm thankful that adcomms do look at more than just what you wear.

I brought up the shirt to try to point out that although you do want to put your best foot forward, having a slight clothing irregularity won't destroy your chance of acceptance.
 
I'm not saying the adcomm is wrong. We all know there are exceptions and that people get in who don't necessarily do everything right. When I applied to PA school in 1998 I didn't know any better and interviewed in a brown plaid skirt and matching suit jacket. I still don't know how I was supposed to have known about wearing a navy suit back then. I was truly clueless. I now know that the outfit was FAR from best practice, and I'm thankful that adcomms do look at more than just what you wear.

I brought up the shirt to try to point out that although you do want to put your best foot forward, having a slight clothing irregularity won't destroy your chance of acceptance.
I was clueless when I applied too. That's why we offer advice from the other side now!
 
Obviously, I read and follow this thread, although I am not a True Believer in all that is Revealed here. Much fashion advice is based on personal aesthetics, on trends and popularity (however long- or short-lived) and on "received wisdom." Were it otherwise, high school yearbook photos would not be so shudder-producing, generation after generation, and standards would be much less variable than they are. (Even "classics" do not endure forever--early Chanel IS distinguishable from later incarnations; hem length, patterns, color combinations, styling details. . .all clue us in on whether we are looking at "vintage" or at "fashion forward.") Come on, folks--we know this, with whatever certitude we offer our (sincere) pronouncements.

Having dared that observation, I have to say that I am a believer in White Coat Hypertension and am intrigued by the findings of empirical studies such as those conducted by Leonard Bickman and Robert Cialdini. These results suggest that people are more likely to comply with a stranger's request if he (and the masculine pronoun seems to be crucial here) is dressed in "professional" clothing and that more pedestrians cross against a red light when the first to do so wears a business suit than when he (he, again) is clad in jeans or other casual clothing or in a non-police uniform of any kind. The term "face validity" (in its less-scientific contexts) springs to mind.

The prejudice for certain forms of dress is just that--a prejudice. I doubt that any of us is prepared to argue that prejudice is powerless. Our interviewers, for instance, would deny vehemently that the "wrong" clothing (and a sequined club dress is certainly "wrong" in a way that a green plaid suit with black tights is simply not) determines their evaluation of our suitability for medical school. They might also maintain that verbal patterns--accents, speech habits, vocal quality, and other idiosyncrasies--play no part in their judgments. No intentional bias, perhaps--but we know that some interviewers obviously take exception to our height, weight, complexion, hair length, natal place. Our search for advice about what to wear reflects our desire to overcome as many unacknowledged negative influences as possible. (I know someone who confessed that she voted not to hire someone whose conversational filler was "ya know?" and who substituted "anyways" for "anyway" and "infer" for "imply." Yet I notice that, although I often cringe in response to many misspellings and grammatical errors in postings on sdn, there is no thread offering guidance on speech. Perhaps the visual impression is more immediate or more easily improved.)

So I follow the small controversies here and consider the advice offered and am grateful for the perspective. Nevertheless, "it"--it being the acceptable or preferred choice--moves, whatever the orthodox view may be. I have had interviewers (more than one, female) ask me where I purchased my "sensible-but-stylish" and decidedly "flat" shoes. Those interviewers bemoaned the difficulty of looking professional and moving quickly and feeling comfortable simultaneously--so I have continued to ignore the admonitions concerning heel height. For all I know, my footwear may be responsible for my earning only a place on a particular waitlist rather than being welcomed into the clearly accepted desirables. All the factors count; I don't doubt that.

So thank you, those of you who are kind enough to consider our nervous questions and who respond to our anxious requests about what "works" and what does not. I am sincerely grateful. I do notice, however, that judges on Project Runway disagree on every program. Isaac Mizrahi and Zac Posen have dramatically different responses; Heidi Klum and Nina Garcia quibble about whether an outfit is flattering or hideous. Aesthetics is a philosophical inquiry, and not all agree on what is beautiful--or even appropriate. It is helpful, though, to see through the eyes of another.
 
Hello! I did a search on the forum but did not find an answer- apologies if this has been asked before (and I must assume it has been). I'm a fairly low maintenance hair person and am curious if any of you could share some hair tips. I understand the basics (sleek, usually pulled back, etc) but struggle to know what this actually looks like in person. Any photo help? I get the makeup and clothing stuff, but man am I clueless about hair :/
 
Hello! I did a search on the forum but did not find an answer- apologies if this has been asked before (and I must assume it has been). I'm a fairly low maintenance hair person and am curious if any of you could share some hair tips. I understand the basics (sleek, usually pulled back, etc) but struggle to know what this actually looks like in person. Any photo help? I get the makeup and clothing stuff, but man am I clueless about hair :/
I don't know how to do much with my hair either, and its medium length, so I've just been straightening it (it's already pretty straight) to keep it from getting frizzy and looking messy, and wearing it down as usual.
What is your hair like naturally? I think your options will depend a lot on that.
 
It's thick and wavy and a few inches below my shoulders. I'd prefer to put it up as I have a strong tendency to fiddle with it over the course of the day 😛 unfortunately for me there is no such thing as a 'sleek' ponytail... It's more like a horse's tail!! But a bun seems severe, ya know?
 
It's thick and wavy and a few inches below my shoulders. I'd prefer to put it up as I have a strong tendency to fiddle with it over the course of the day 😛 unfortunately for me there is no such thing as a 'sleek' ponytail... It's more like a horse's tail!! But a bun seems severe, ya know?

You could always just straighten it then put it in a sleek/low pony, my hair is unruly and that's what I did.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've spent the last few days skimming through this thread, but haven't been able to find an answer to this question. Is a white wool coat alright? I've read black, charcoal, camel, and even red, but no mention of a white coat.

I have a coat that looks very similar to this one that I would like to wear.
 

Attachments

  • white coat.jpeg
    white coat.jpeg
    3.7 KB · Views: 132
It's thick and wavy and a few inches below my shoulders. I'd prefer to put it up as I have a strong tendency to fiddle with it over the course of the day 😛 unfortunately for me there is no such thing as a 'sleek' ponytail... It's more like a horse's tail!! But a bun seems severe, ya know?

If you pull the front back and leave the back hanging (a la Kate Middleton) that would be neat but not severe.

Do you all think that this blouse is appropriate? I plan on wearing it with a navy pants suit! I appreciate any feed back 🙂

http://www.anntaylor.com/diamond-pr...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=9906

PS: It's got a verrrrry subtle pattern.

Nothing wrong at all with the pattern as it is very subtle. The pocket could be an issue with you jacket, but very possibly not. Only you can say.
 
I've spent the last few days skimming through this thread, but haven't been able to find an answer to this question. Is a white wool coat alright? I've read black, charcoal, camel, and even red, but no mention of a white coat.

I have a coat that looks very similar to this one that I would like to wear.

The white wool is very attractive and not at all inappropriate, so long as it is clean. Keeping it clean is the difficult part -- but your problem, not mine ;-)

Is this sheath dress appropriate with a blazer?
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1005910&vid=1&pid=554945012

Is this tweed sheath too casual?
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1005910&vid=1&pid=288496002

Or should I just go for the navy suit?

Thanks a lot in advance!

A sheath dress and blazer is a classic and very attractive look, provided that you're not too curvy (think sexy curvy, not 'heavy' curvy) and it's not too tight. While the tweed is more casual, it would be easier to pair with a solid black jacket. The solid sheath - unless it has a matching jacket - might be harder to pair.