Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OKAY. Did some makeup-ing before I took it off and went to the gym. Excuse my scary "before" eyes.

BEFORE
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1418426250.508899.jpg


AFTER CORRECTOR(tarte CC undereye primer, this pic is for reference where it should go)
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1418426328.967149.jpg


BROWS(Pixi natural brow duo with lowest arch and end parts marked off, do not grossly overextend your brows past these points)
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1418426393.559020.jpg


EYESHADOW TIME(All from Smashbox Master Class 3 Palette)

This is the highest up your shadow should go. Then blend:
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1418426515.010876.jpg
 
Continuing on, EYELINER(black Lancôme waterproof pencil on one side, sephora brand liquid on other. Use whatever you like, just don't make it a super heavy obvious line. No massive cat eye either)
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1418426826.885992.jpg


ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1418426836.403510.jpg


My mascara is Loreal Voluminous carbon black, the best freaking stuff on the planet. Set your undereye concealer with some loose powder. Eyeshadow primer(mine is "too faced" brand) is so essential. Comb through your lashes so no clumps.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1418426937.550184.jpg


I don't like the heavy eyeliner on the bottom look for an interview or everyday, so I used some matching eyeshadow instead-
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1418426980.856601.jpg



And finally, if you want @Winged Scapula to love you, go with the eyeshadow look on the right!
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1418427032.047070.jpg




I did two different color "looks" - one more brown and faintly bronze/gold with no shimmer or glitter, and the other a taupe/gray/nude. I'm obviously brown so I used a little more than I maybe would have just for photographic purposes so it shows up.

Enjoy!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Only you think they're weird.

Most others think that an adult woman wearing a puffer coat on occasions that don't involve strapping a fiberglass board to her feet is weird.


To be fair. I am currently wearing a knee length black down coat with a huge puffy collar that could double as a sleeping bag with a zipper if I tried really hard. Heh.

Then again, I'm not going on an interview like this.

To an interview, I would wear a sort of fitted wool coat with no weird accents or crazy zippers or fur sticking out of it or anything.
 
To be fair. I am currently wearing a knee length black down coat with a huge puffy collar that could double as a sleeping bag with a zipper if I tried really hard. Heh.

Then again, I'm not going on an interview like this.

To an interview, I would wear a sort of fitted wool coat with no weird accents or crazy zippers or fur sticking out of it or anything.
I was being intentionally ridiculous to make my point.

The point is is that although you may see women wearing puffer coats in extreme cold, such as you, it is not appropriate for a job interview, as you've noted.
 
I don't have a really interview friendly coat, but my next and last interview is only 3 short blocks away from where I live, just gonna go with my dad and have him take my big blue winter jacket back home with him or just run over in my suits.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I'm going to go to Nordstrom one day and pretend to be a frantic interviewee looking for clothes last minute for my med school interview bc "the airline lost my bags" and try on a bunch of what I think are appropriate but still pretty outfits and post them.
Why the pretense? You can just try things on, take pictures and post.
 
Really @Winged Scapula ?

Wear a puffer coat over your interview getup. Take it off when you get into the admissions building and put it into your bag/suitcase if you have one, or into the coat rack at the admissions office. Your interviewers won't have a damn clue what you came in wearing!
 
Really @Winged Scapula ?

Wear a puffer coat over your interview getup. Take it off when you get into the admissions building and put it into your bag/suitcase if you have one, or into the coat rack at the admissions office. Your interviewers won't have a damn clue what you came in wearing!

No way is my gigantic down coat fitting into anything short of a full size suitcase, are you planning on bringing one of those to your interview? What if there is no coat rack to hAng your coat? What if the coat rack is full? What if you are running a few mins late and have no time to find aforementioned coat rack? Better safe than sorry
 
Really @Winged Scapula ?

Wear a puffer coat over your interview getup. Take it off when you get into the admissions building and put it into your bag/suitcase if you have one, or into the coat rack at the admissions office. Your interviewers won't have a damn clue what you came in wearing!
Note that I didn't say she *had* to wear one or that it would impact her performance at the interview.

She asked if she had to wear one of those "weird wool coats" and I explained that no one thinks they're weird and that they are considered more professional (and more grown up) than a puffer jacket. The response that "lots of women wear puffer coats" is not evidence for the appropriateness of them for an interview. You've seen the same argument in the Men's Interview thread so I know you agree with me on that.

If users are going to ask for advice, they will get advice. If they don't like the answer, I and others cannot be responsible for that. So when someone asks if a puffer coat is appropriate, I will continue to say "no". If they ask if they will be judged negatively for wearing one, I will also answer "no".

As an aside (and edit), no one should take these responses personally. I may disagree with many of you on what's considered appropriate, but that doesn't affect my personal feelings about a user. I enjoy this (my business partner just asked for help in finding a style; another friend offered to assist me since it was "at least a 2 person job". LOL).
 
Last edited:
Are these shoes appropriate? They're in my budget, and I think I can learn to walk in them to some degree, in time for interviews. I don't want to risk it with the thinner heeled pumps.

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-bernadette-heeled-loafer/-/A-16312007#prodSlot=_1_25

The "patent leather" shine and styling mean they are not the preferred style especially if you're considering a skirt suit. These would be a better choice; although a thinner heel, its lower than the one above: http://www.target.com/p/women-s-mer...mp-assorted-colors/-/A-14930965#prodSlot=_1_6

P.S. And thoughts on wearing a well-made turtleneck under the suit?

Too casual. Sweaters by nature are more casual. A turtleneck even more so, regardless of the material.
 
Are these shoes appropriate? They're in my budget, and I think I can learn to walk in them to some degree, in time for interviews. I don't want to risk it with the thinner heeled pumps.

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-bernadette-heeled-loafer/-/A-16312007#prodSlot=_1_25
If you don't have a Target near you, I found these at Walmart a little while back. They're not going to hold up with a lot of use, but for interviews only they're fine.
k2-_53a3cf21-6dbb-411f-94ef-a0415a9f2318.v1.jpg

I hadn't worn heels at all in years and never have regularly, but they were fairly easy to walk in and not too uncomfortable. Wouldn't be uncomfortable at all if you were used to heels, since they're nicely padded. My feet were tired of the position after a couple hours, but I made it 12 hours with no real problems or serious pain (and I have minor arthritis issues in my feet that tends to flare up with heels or cold). I own other, prettier, heels but know for sure that I couldn't wear them all day.
 
No way is my gigantic down coat fitting into anything short of a full size suitcase, are you planning on bringing one of those to your interview? What if there is no coat rack to hAng your coat? What if the coat rack is full? What if you are running a few mins late and have no time to find aforementioned coat rack? Better safe than sorry

My calf length mens overcoat needs a coat rack or barely fits into my backpack folded and rolled. It's gigantic and not really something I can carry around all day. Thing weighs like 10 lbs.
 
Note that I didn't say she *had* to wear one or that it would impact her performance at the interview.

She asked if she had to wear one of those "weird wool coats" and I explained that no one thinks they're weird and that they are considered more professional (and more grown up) than a puffer jacket. The response that "lots of women wear puffer coats" is not evidence for the appropriateness of them for an interview. You've seen the same argument in the Men's Interview thread so I know you agree with me on that.

If users are going to ask for advice, they will get advice. If they don't like the answer, I and others cannot be responsible for that. So when someone asks if a puffer coat is appropriate, I will continue to say "no". If they ask if they will be judged negatively for wearing one, I will also answer "no".

As an aside (and edit), no one should take these responses personally. I may disagree with many of you on what's considered appropriate, but that doesn't affect my personal feelings about a user. I enjoy this (my business partner just asked for help in finding a style; another friend offered to assist me since it was "at least a 2 person job". LOL).

I like how strict you are with your standards for professionalism b/c I am clueless in this arena. I was just shocked that puffers were a major fashion faux pas. I hope I didn't offend you by calling wool coats 'weird' though. My speech can be brutish and inelegant at times lol.
 
I like how strict you are with your standards for professionalism b/c I am clueless in this arena. I was just shocked that puffers were a major fashion faux pas. I hope I didn't offend you by calling wool coats 'weird' though. My speech can be brutish and inelegant at times lol.

I get the sense that you're "resisting the uniform" -- You've stated several times that you're "clueless" about interview clothes, yet keep posting possibilities that don't look anything like the "standards" suggested. Just wondering...
 
I get the sense that you're "resisting the uniform" -- You've stated several times that you're "clueless" about interview clothes, yet keep posting possibilities that don't look anything like the "standards" suggested. Just wondering...

I'm not pretending to be clueless, nor am I consciously resisting the standard. I cannot do the standard pointed heel for interviews; as someone who has never worn heels, I'd rather worry about the actual interview instead of the possibility of face-planting in the snow. And I get leg pain in the winter as well. It would be nonsensical to blindly follow the standard in my case, so I'm just looking for acceptable/appropriate alternatives to the standard. With that being said, I do appreciate all your advice on this thread.
 
I'm not pretending to be clueless, nor am I consciously resisting the standard. I cannot do the standard pointed heel for interviews; as someone who has never worn heels, I'd rather worry about the actual interview instead of the possibility of face-planting in the snow. And I get leg pain in the winter as well. It would be nonsensical to blindly follow the standard in my case, so I'm just looking for acceptable/appropriate alternatives to the standard. With that being said, I do appreciate all your advice on this thread.

In that case, the Target loafers you posted wouldn't be too bad. And they'd be fine with a slacks suit. The better long term option though, since you're now an adult and have to dress the part, is to learn how to walk in mid-height heels -- provided wearing them a few hours a day for a few days a week won't cause or exacerbate medical problems.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sooooo I have **** ankles. As in I've broken both of them in the last ten years doing stupid things, never followed through with PT, etc. I'm really nitpicky about my shoes because of this, obviously I want them to be pretty but there aren't many brands that I can actually stand in for hours on end.
That said, one of the more affordable brands that don't hurt me has been j crew- I understand that they don't seem all that cheap at first glance but the sales and promo codes that they put out routinely, like 40% off everything on final sale, make buying one nice/fashion safe/comfortable pair of heels more doable.
 
In that case, the Target loafers you posted wouldn't be too bad. And they'd be fine with a slacks suit. The better long term option though, since you're now an adult and have to dress the part, is to learn how to walk in mid-height heels -- provided wearing them a few hours a day for a few days a week won't cause or exacerbate medical problems.

I think I found a happy medium between the Target loafers and the classic pump. But yes, I'm definitely going try and learn to walk in mid-height heels.
 
I have a comfy, padded pair of Rockport pumps that get me through the day, even with oddly-shaped feet that make walking in most heels a painful experience. They come in low and mid height, and have a bit of a thicker heel that I think is the key to their wearability.
 
Any advice for what to wear under a women's suit? I bought a simple blue collared button-up when I purchased my interview suit, and it definitely looks professional, but it's so hard to make sure the collar is always in the right place. Are simple, professional, non-button-up shirts acceptable?
 
Are simple, professional, non-button-up shirts acceptable?
Definitely acceptable, in fact some of the adcoms who have posted on this thread have expressed the opinion that they can appear even more professional when done right (appropriate color, appropriate material, appropriate cut, NO CLEAVAGE, etc). Some have stated they feel button-ups for women are more informal and that a professional looking top or shell is a better choice. This thread has TONS of links and examples from adcoms of acceptable tops besides button-ups if you want to peruse.

I personally have followed that advice and kept away from the button-up (my shape and figure also make button-ups unsightly though so I may be a little biased). Ultimately, you should where something professional that you are comfortable in, and if that's a button-up then go for it!
 
hi!
im from florida and wore a skirt suit for my last interview. i now have an interview where the weather should be 30-40 degrees, do you guys think i should get a pant suit instead? im not used to cold at all but im sure i can deal with it since we will be inside most of the time. but im also concerned whether it would be weird to wear a skirt when its cold out? i also feel manly in a pant suit so i rather avoid it if its not too weird!

thank you!
 
hi!
im from florida and wore a skirt suit for my last interview. i now have an interview where the weather should be 30-40 degrees, do you guys think i should get a pant suit instead? im not used to cold at all but im sure i can deal with it since we will be inside most of the time. but im also concerned whether it would be weird to wear a skirt when its cold out? i also feel manly in a pant suit so i rather avoid it if its not too weird!

thank you!
Skirt suits are always acceptable.
Wear opaque tights if it's cold.
 
hi!
im from florida and wore a skirt suit for my last interview. i now have an interview where the weather should be 30-40 degrees, do you guys think i should get a pant suit instead? im not used to cold at all but im sure i can deal with it since we will be inside most of the time. but im also concerned whether it would be weird to wear a skirt when its cold out? i also feel manly in a pant suit so i rather avoid it if its not too weird!

thank you!
It should be fine to wear a skirt suit with 30-40 degree weather. Just bring a nice coat for tours.
 
Does anyone have any tips for preventing your feet from sliding forwards while wearing pantyhose? I already have foot petals and heel grips in them. They fit perfectly sans pantyhose, but the grips are pretty much useless with hose on [emoji53]
 
Does anyone have any tips for preventing your feet from sliding forwards while wearing pantyhose? I already have foot petals and heel grips in them. They fit perfectly sans pantyhose, but the grips are pretty much useless with hose on [emoji53]


Doesn't dr scholls make grip type things?

edit- just saw what you said

double stick tape? works great for dresses you don't want to fall out of if its a no bra sort of dress, maybe it would help keep stuff from sliding around in the shoe??
 
I apologize if this has been answered, I have no fashion sense as far as interview attire and have been trying to read and compile some information but I may as well collaborate all my questions in one post.

1.) I'm a tall lady and don't wear heels, it seems like flats are a no-go from what I've been reading, should I wear a heel instead? I was planning on finding a black flat until perusing through this thread.

2.) I bought a black pantsuit and a white bouse with no collar or buttons and somewhat of a v-neck (though no cleavage)...is a gold necklace appropriate?

3.) My pantsuit is meant for a slim fit, IE my pants are straight legged and fitted on my upper thighs/butt. It's not overly fitted but it isn't loose. Is this appropriate, if not what is the appropriate style for pants?

4.) can I wear my hair down in curls with the front pinned back or should I wear it up?

Thank you so much ladies! I just don't want to be "that girl" at my interview, however, I don't exactly know what is/is not appropriate. <3
 
I apologize if this has been answered, I have no fashion sense as far as interview attire and have been trying to read and compile some information but I may as well collaborate all my questions in one post.

1.) I'm a tall lady and don't wear heels, it seems like flats are a no-go from what I've been reading, should I wear a heel instead? I was planning on finding a black flat until perusing through this thread.

2.) I bought a black pantsuit and a white bouse with no collar or buttons and somewhat of a v-neck (though no cleavage)...is a gold necklace appropriate?

3.) My pantsuit is meant for a slim fit, IE my pants are straight legged and fitted on my upper thighs/butt. It's not overly fitted but it isn't loose. Is this appropriate, if not what is the appropriate style for pants?

4.) can I wear my hair down in curls with the front pinned back or should I wear it up?

Thank you so much ladies! I just don't want to be "that girl" at my interview, however, I don't exactly know what is/is not appropriate. <3
I'm a tall lady also (6'1") and I wore a small 1-1.5inch heel for my interviews. I just think they look better than flats personally. And as far as the hair goes, I did the same kinda thing with mine except it's straight. I think having it down looks nice but then pulling the top back a bit keeps any whispy hairs from getting in your face.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a tall lady also (6'1") and I wore a small 1-1.5inch heel for my interviews. I just think they look better than flats personally. And as far as the hair goes, I did the same kinda thing with mine except it's straight. I think having it down looks nice but then pulling the top back a bit keeps any whispy hairs from getting in your face.


Thank you!!
 
Dear applicants: Wear your jackets, don't just bring them.
Leave your tour shoes (tennis shoes, topsiders, flip flops) in your bag until the tour. Don't wear them to the interview.
No matter how unique you are, wear a suit jacket in a muted color.
Leave your parents at home (or at least have them drop you off).
Gold and silver are not appropriate fabric colors (or shoe colors).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize if this has been answered, I have no fashion sense as far as interview attire and have been trying to read and compile some information but I may as well collaborate all my questions in one post.

1.) I'm a tall lady and don't wear heels, it seems like flats are a no-go from what I've been reading, should I wear a heel instead? I was planning on finding a black flat until perusing through this thread.

2.) I bought a black pantsuit and a white bouse with no collar or buttons and somewhat of a v-neck (though no cleavage)...is a gold necklace appropriate?

3.) My pantsuit is meant for a slim fit, IE my pants are straight legged and fitted on my upper thighs/butt. It's not overly fitted but it isn't loose. Is this appropriate, if not what is the appropriate style for pants?

4.) can I wear my hair down in curls with the front pinned back or should I wear it up?

Thank you so much ladies! I just don't want to be "that girl" at my interview, however, I don't exactly know what is/is not appropriate. <3

1) Not sure how tall you are, but unless you are dutch, you are probably fine with kitten heels. Flat just seem relaxed. Don't worry about your height, it's not a bad thing.
2) As long as it's not distractive then it should be fine. The bottom line is, be simple and sleek. A pearl one can work great for white blouse
3) Slim fit pant suit works great on tall girls (white skirt suit seems to flatter petite gals) and I'm a living proof. Without going into details, I can tell you that at least some of my interviewers really like it.
4) The rule of being simple and sleek applies to hair as well. So up-do is better imo.

I'm not an adcom, but my interviews have been successful so take my suggestion for what's worth.
 
This thread is really long and I have skimmed through a good number of pages. I don't know if I missed it, but has anyone asked about lipstick. I think that is always my main issues, not knowing what color is appropriate to wear. I generally wear nudes, but then that looks like I have nothing on. And outside of that only shades of red tend to look good with my skin tone, I can't wear pinks or at least have yet to find a shade of pink that is natural enough that doesn't make me look like a clown. I am scared even if I wear a soft shade of red I might not be looked at as professional. Maybe I am over thinking this too much.
 
This thread is really long and I have skimmed through a good number of pages. I don't know if I missed it, but has anyone asked about lipstick. I think that is always my main issues, not knowing what color is appropriate to wear. I generally wear nudes, but then that looks like I have nothing on. And outside of that only shades of red tend to look good with my skin tone, I can't wear pinks or at least have yet to find a shade of pink that is natural enough that doesn't make me look like a clown. I am scared even if I wear a soft shade of red I might not be looked at as professional. Maybe I am over thinking this too much.
I think the shade of the color matters more than the color itself. Nude and pink are actually more fashion looking. I went with a serious China Red. It looked formal, simple and standard.
 
Last edited: