Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You know guys, I had a moment of clarity while desperately searching for the "perfect interview outfit." This is not about fashion at all. Basically you just want to not be offensive. You don't want to stand out with your clothes. I know this is tough for people who like fashion (like me) but it just hit me that you want your clothes to basically shrink away during the interview. Just wear the most boring thing you can ok? Well-fitted conservative black/gray suit, at the knee. A shirt that does not even come close to bearing cleavage or being too tight (not too crazy a color or pattern, but color's ok unless your school is uber conservative). And boring black pumps. you can wear a pretty necklace/earrings, but nothing big. I even wore (yikes) stockings! It's one day. Just remember that. You can go back to your funky self tomorrow once you've gotten yourself in! Just think BORING and let your personality be the thing they notice, not your clothes. (BTW, I got in, so I think it worked 😉

Hear hear!! 🙂

Why would you want to risk it? Just err on the conservative side, the idea is to look professional and mature, they're not judging you on your unique fashion taste!

As mentioned above, just make sure the suit fits you well, so that YOU feel comfortable and confident.
 
I've read many posts about changing into flats for the tour. I haven't had my first interview yet, so I was wondering, when is an appropriate time to change shoes? Aren't you being observed the entire time?? I think that would be a little awkward. Thank you for your advice!
 
How many suits should you purchase to last the whole interview season? Would one be enough? Can you use the same one at each interview or should you have a spare?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've read many posts about changing into flats for the tour. I haven't had my first interview yet, so I was wondering, when is an appropriate time to change shoes? Aren't you being observed the entire time?? I think that would be a little awkward. Thank you for your advice!
Bathroom break?

How many suits should you purchase to last the whole interview season? Would one be enough? Can you use the same one at each interview or should you have a spare?
How many interviews are you planning on, and are any of them two-day affairs? Are you pretty clean or pretty messy? Would you be able to get your suit cleaned quickly if need be? I don't think that there's any basic need for more than one suit, and once you figure out your accessories that's one less thing to worry about for subsequent interviews.
 
I've read many posts about changing into flats for the tour. I haven't had my first interview yet, so I was wondering, when is an appropriate time to change shoes? Aren't you being observed the entire time?? I think that would be a little awkward. Thank you for your advice!

At least at the interviews I went on, there were plenty breaks and downtime (while waiting for the next presentation/tour/event). My interview days were 6-9 hours long! So there's lots of opportunities to change your shoes. It's not a big deal at all to quickly take off your heels, and throw on flats before the tour.
 
So I browsed through the thread and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet...but are one-button suit jackets okay?

I tried this on (http://www.express.com/suits-1049/control/page/5/show/3/index.ens) and it was really comfortable, but I'm wondering if a two- or three-button suit would be more professional.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it! Lol I dunno...HELP!

One-button suit jackets are fine!! It's what I wore 🙂. And sometimes the one-button suit jackets are more flattering on some body types than the 2 or 3 button ones. That suit looks great!

One-button is fine. It's what I'll be wearing 🙂

+1.

Also, very nitpicky...but has anyone else noticed nails? French manicures can be pretty, but white tips that are too long begin to look pretty...tacky and overdone. You're better off going au naturel.
 
So I browsed through the thread and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet...but are one-button suit jackets okay?

I tried this on (http://www.express.com/suits-1049/control/page/5/show/3/index.ens) and it was really comfortable, but I'm wondering if a two- or three-button suit would be more professional.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it! Lol I dunno...HELP!

Wow! They still sell that suit??? I love that suit! That's what I wore for my interviews when I applied in 2009! I chose that suit because the shorter 1-button jacket looks better on me compared to a 2- or 3-button jacket since I'm short (5'4'').
 
I'm thinking of changing from my traditional black skirt suit to a new look, and I was wondering if people on this thread had thoughts about dress suits. I'm looking at this gray dress from BR (http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=8531410021007&cid=30729&locale=en_US) with a pale pink work shirt underneath. Would it be acceptable to wear a black suit jacket with this or do I need to get the matching gray? And does the suit jacket need to stay on all day or is the dress/shirt combo business attire by itself? Thanks!
 
I'm thinking of changing from my traditional black skirt suit to a new look, and I was wondering if people on this thread had thoughts about dress suits. I'm looking at this gray dress from BR (http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=8531410021007&cid=30729&locale=en_US) with a pale pink work shirt underneath. Would it be acceptable to wear a black suit jacket with this or do I need to get the matching gray? And does the suit jacket need to stay on all day or is the dress/shirt combo business attire by itself? Thanks!

Do you mean a long-sleeved collared button-down shirt when you say work shirt? I think the dress is cute, but I think pink and gray, especially in that design, would make you look more like a secretary or office worker than an applicant. I would keep the suit jacket on for sure. And I think it should match the dress.
 
Thanks for the response! I do mean a long-sleeved, collared button up shirt. I'll stick with a suit jacket then.
 
hey guys,

I've got this new bright orange button down shirt, which I want to wear with my plain black suit pants...I'm just not quite sure if bright orange would be 👍 or 👎 ..??
it seems there are mixed opinions about the colour of shirts that can be worn under the suits...
 
hey guys,

I've got this new bright orange button down shirt, which I want to wear with my plain black suit pants...I'm just not quite sure if bright orange would be 👍 or 👎 ..??
it seems there are mixed opinions about the colour of shirts that can be worn under the suits...

Ooh, I'm not too sure about black and bright orange...too Halloween-y! I would stick with pastels or jewel tones.
 
Ooh, I'm not too sure about black and bright orange...too Halloween-y! I would stick with pastels or jewel tones.

I agree. Orange would look okay with a brown/tan suit. It would be very fall-like. Probably look best on someone with a darker complexion also.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do we think about no hose with skirt suits in humid 80 degree weather? My skirt is definitely knee length and I don't have varicose veins or hairy legs. Is it really necessary? Will our interviewers notice?
 
What do we think about no hose with skirt suits in humid 80 degree weather? My skirt is definitely knee length and I don't have varicose veins or hairy legs. Is it really necessary? Will our interviewers notice?

In order of your questions:
Gotta wear them.
Yes.
Yes.

Keep in mind that it will probably still be cool in the buildings even if it is hot outside.
 
In order of your questions:
Gotta wear them.
Yes.
Yes.

Keep in mind that it will probably still be cool in the buildings even if it is hot outside.

good point. haha FINE. guess i have to go shopping again. "have to"... :laugh: thanks lucille!
 
Also, very nitpicky...but has anyone else noticed nails? French manicures can be pretty, but white tips that are too long begin to look pretty...tacky and overdone. You're better off going au naturel.

I came on here to ask this very question. I am a chronic polish wearer and my natural nails leave a lot to be desired. I am not a french manicure type, but would either of these styles be acceptable? Is the grey too much?

IMG_0012w.jpg


Essie+Topless.jpg
 
Not so hot on the gray personally, but I like the bottom color.

There's always the American manicure option. The tips are a lot less drastically white than a French manicure and the pink coating is clear with a reddish tint. The overall result is more subtle and natural, leaving you with what appears to be very clean nails+tips with a gloss on top.
 
Not so hot on the gray personally, but I like the bottom color.

There's always the American manicure option. The tips are a lot less drastically white than a French manicure and the pink coating is clear with a reddish tint. The overall result is more subtle and natural.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. A lot more clean-cut. I have very subtle melanonychia on a finger, so I'm a polish girl. On a cheaper note though, because I can't do French/Americans to myself....Rook, it looks like you're an Essie fan. I also am. Admittedly, in my experience it's not as durable as OPI, but hey, formaldehyde-free! Try using one of their base coats, one coat of simple pink like Ballet Slippers and top coat. Your nails (even the tips) should still look polished without having to spend $$$. Just don't go play with mud or clay before your interview, haha.
 
Last edited:
Essie is good stuff. I try and grab it when it's on clearance. I'm kind of cheap when it comes to nail polish.

Oh for those interviewing at WesternU/COMP specifically, make sure you're ok with taking off your jacket during the OMM demo (you grab a partner next to you and assess them for symmetry).
 
What do you think about this dress: http://cki.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pCKI1-10225094v275.jpg ... could I wear it without a jacket or would that look unprofessional? I want to err on the side of jessiemsy's wisdom and it doesn't bother me to buy another piece, I'm just not sure if it's necessary or not.

It's not unprofessional, but it is a bit too office secretary sans a jacket.

Very cute though.

There was one interviewee who changed out of the suit jacket and into a cardigan after the interview portion was over. Whatever.

I finally cleaned out 7 years' worth of slovenly chemistry undergrad/grad student clothing in my closet. It's time for a makeover.
 
What do you think about this dress: http://cki.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pCKI1-10225094v275.jpg ... could I wear it without a jacket or would that look unprofessional? I want to err on the side of jessiemsy's wisdom and it doesn't bother me to buy another piece, I'm just not sure if it's necessary or not.

It's not unprofessional, but it is a bit too office secretary sans a jacket.

Very cute though.

Agreed. Doesn't look unprofessional, but definitely unusual at interviews. I would personally recommend wearing with a jacket for the interview. There are a few who don't, but I've always erred on the side of dressing more conservatively (unless it was a night out with the girls 😉 haha)

I think the priorities for dressing are:
1. look professional. you want to stand out as an applicant for your words, not your clothes.
2. feel comfortable.
3. feel free to use some flair, but subtly. (i.e. suits other than black, colored shells, shoes are okay, but don't go overboard and don't bust out the bling)
 
Last edited:
Wow, so much about interview attire! I just got my first invite and never considered what I would wear to an interview, so this thread is immensely helpful.

I have a question about non-earlobe piercings... I have a piercing on my ear cartilage and was wondering if I should leave it in or wear a clear retainer or just take it out. It looks like this. Unfortunately, I have really poofy hair and can't wear it down.

Would an interviewer even notice such a small earring? Would seeing a hole there be worse than seeing the earring? Does it give an un-doctor-like vibe?

Thanks!
 
Wow, so much about interview attire! I just got my first invite and never considered what I would wear to an interview, so this thread is immensely helpful.

I have a question about non-earlobe piercings... I have a piercing on my ear cartilage and was wondering if I should leave it in or wear a clear retainer or just take it out. It looks like this. Unfortunately, I have really poofy hair and can't wear it down.

Would an interviewer even notice such a small earring? Would seeing a hole there be worse than seeing the earring? Does it give an un-doctor-like vibe?

Thanks!

I have the same piercing 🙂. Just to be safe, I took out the earring for my interviews. The hole is so small, you can barely see it, so I didn't use a clear retainer or anything. It probably doesn't matter, but I would just play it safe.
 
I have the same piercing 🙂. Just to be safe, I took out the earring for my interviews. The hole is so small, you can barely see it, so I didn't use a clear retainer or anything. It probably doesn't matter, but I would just play it safe.

Okay, I'll do the same then. Thanks for the tip! 🙂
 
I came on here to ask this very question. I am a chronic polish wearer and my natural nails leave a lot to be desired. I am not a french manicure type, but would either of these styles be acceptable? Is the grey too much?

IMG_0012w.jpg


Essie+Topless.jpg

I just got so excited when I saw this, as I just put that exact light pink Essie color on for my interview this week! With this color, more than 1 coat turns out looking almost white, which isn't as professional looking as light pink, so I stuck to 1 coat.

I also have the grey color, but I wouldn't wear that to the interview because it's too trendy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got so excited when I saw this, as I just put that exact light pink Essie color on for my interview this week! With this color, more than 1 coat turns out looking almost white, which isn't as professional looking as light pink, so I stuck to 1 coat.

I also have the grey color, but I wouldn't wear that to the interview because it's too trendy.

So funny! I guess I'll go with the pink also since that seems to be the general consensus. My last bit of unfinished interview prep is to find a reasonable bag, so that's today's adventure.
 
what are acceptable cuts for skirts to wear with a suit jacket? do they have to be pencil skirts? i don't like how form-fitting they are. is a-line acceptable?

also, does anyone have any examples of acceptable dresses to pair with a suit jacket?

edit:

for example, is this skirt OK?
hmprod


how about this one?
hmprod
 
Last edited:
what are acceptable cuts for skirts to wear with a suit jacket? do they have to be pencil skirts? i don't like how form-fitting they are. is a-line acceptable?

also, does anyone have any examples of acceptable dresses to pair with a suit jacket?

edit:

for example, is this skirt OK?
hmprod


how about this one?
hmprod

I think both are definitely interview appropriate, but I like the second one best for wearing with a jacket. As far as dresses to pair with jackets, Banana and the Limited both have dresses in the same line of materials as their suits that would work well.
 
hey all, what do you think about the following article?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/fashion/makeup-makes-women-appear-more-competent-study.html
I've been told to wear makeup to interviews, but as natural as possible (shouldn't be apparent that you are wearing makeup). Personally I don't feel comfortable without some eyeliner (I'm Chinese, you can tell I'm wearing it) and was planning on wearing it anyhow.

One flaw I can think of is that they judged based on still photos. We're all used to seeing photos of newscasters and congresswomen (and men!) wearing mountains of makeup, but that can be jarring in person. Frankly, on a day to day basis I try to avoid most makeup and feminine clothing because don't like calling attention to my gender in my (mostly male) lab.

What were you planning on wearing, makeup-wise?
 
Hey ladies, I was wondering what kind of bag I should bring to the interview. I dont have any business-ey/professional bags/stylish briefcases. If you find any online, please do paste the link to it! Thanks


I'm not taking a bag but a leather portfolio type thing. It can fit cards and papers has a built in holder for a pen and a clip board inside. I think most universities sell them in their bookstores and have their fancy insignia/crest on them.
 
So here are some guidelines I'm using to put myself together

1. earnings = small, like tiny pearls. No bracelets or things that are distraction.

2. Hair simply down or pony tale no flashy accessories. I like to pull it into a low pony tail to the side.

3. Nylon are a must and carry an extra set in your bag, briefcase, portfolio etc

4. Shoes very comfortable no more than 2 inch heels. A wider pump is great. I find Naturalizer shoes to be very comfy (they appeal to a more mature clientele).
http://www.naturalizer.com/en-US/Womens/_/_/Dress+Shoes/_/Products.aspx


5. Make up, mascara, eyeliner, neutral shadow or none. Clear gloss

6. I like skirts so I do a skirt blazer combo. I have two options. One I wear a black pencil (knee length) with a black blazer. Two I wear the same skirt with a very dark grey blazer with black trim. I prefer the grey blazer as it is very nice but I worry about not having the same color suit so I'll probably cave and go with the black blazer. For a blouse I recommend long sleeve incase you have to take off your blazer. For now I have a light pink blouse with ruffles around the neck its from Banana Republic

My question is do most people where matched suits? Or is it ok to have the bottom be a different color than the top?

Going shopping tomorrow to maybe get a new blazer! 😍
 
I've posted some of my thoughts on both the makeup and bag topic earlier--there are more good pearls of wisdom in this forum if you use the search function.

Here's my opinion on the full run down. The others have had good things to say.

In general, jewelry (including watch) should be of metal or precious stones (or good fakes, but no rhinestones). No plastic, ceramic, fabric, or feathers. The style should be classic and simple, not trendy.

Earrings: If your ears are pierced, you need to wear earrings. I wouldn't wear clip-ons unless you're 110% they won't fall off. The formal rule is that earrings should not dangle below the earlobe, and I generally abide by this rule--I really think there are enough options out there for every ear shape 🙂. Great earrings for an interview would be pearl studs, round silver ball studs, or knot earrings.

A few examples of pretty, quality earrings that would meet the bill (and not break your budget!):

http://www.bluenile.com/freshwater-pearl-stud-earrings_4071
http://www.bluenile.com/sterling-silver-earrings_8098
http://secure.jamesavery.com/jewelry/search/product/EP-1317/Original-Lovers-Knot-Ear-Posts/

And for Biophilia...my go to earrings: http://www.davidyurman.com/shoponline/product.aspx?itemid=Y4352&folderid=/women/earrings

If you MUST wear something that dangles, stick to a small hoop (<1/2" in diameter) or a one-stone drop earring. Do NOT wear anything that resembles a chandelier in any way.

Watch: Should be analog. I wear of lot of two-tone (gold and silver) jewelry, so I have a two-tone watch. You don't have to buy one for the interview if you don't have one, but I tend to think they are the most professional accessory you can add. Fossil makes a good watch for <$100, and Seikos can look really, really nice for just a little bit more.

Necklace: Depends on the style of your blouse. I think if you have a lot of chest real estate showing (i.e., a wide cut and below the collar bone neckline...but obviously, no cleavage!), a necklace helps fill the gap. The long chain necklace look isn't interview appropriate. Good options are pearls and simple pendants or short chains.

Bracelets: Should not jingle or clank, and I'd avoid the multi-bangle look. If you tend to take your bracelets off throughout the day, I wouldn't wear one.

Rings: No more than one per hand (counting a wedding ring and engagement ring as one ring set).

As for make up...I think everyone should wear make-up to an interview. It will make you look more polished and pulled together. That being said, the key is to look natural.

The bare minimum:
-Concealer for blemishes or dark circles

-Powder (sets the concealer and a light dusting all over reduces shine)

-Tinted chapstick or lipstick (gloss is not business formal)

I'd recommend adding
-Blush: I think almost everyone looks a bit healthier with blush. You can 1) brush it down your cheek bones from your temple or 2) dust the rosies of your cheeks.

-Mascara: a light swab across your top lashes (can do the bottom ones too if you're accustomed to it). Make sure there are no clumps on your lashes or smudges on your lids. (I've used a safety pin point to declump lashes in an emergency...do not try without steady hands!)

Optional
-Eye shadow: use to highlight only, stick to shades of browns or pinks, no shimmers! Nothing dark!

-Eye liner: should be the pencil type, not liquid type, and should be just a VERY thin line on the edge of your upper lid. Match the color of your mascara.

EDIT: Not make-up per say, but eyebrows should be groomed. Pluck/wax/thread away strays and and then make sure they're brushed in the same direction on interview day.

The key here is, wear it, but a little bit goes a LONG way. If you don't regularly wear make-up, and are planning to try something new, I'd try it out before interview day!
 
Here's one on bags...

You're going to hear a lot of differing opinions here, but your main options are a purse, tote/briefcase, or a zippered padfolio. Honestly, I think you'll be fine with any of them, but I'd recommend a tote over a briefcase.

If you go with a purse or tote (I define a tote as a bag that holds letter-sized notebooks or a laptop, and would not be carried as an everyday bag otherwise), make sure you've cleaned out the non-essentials so you don't have to dig through junk in your bag in your interview.

I prefer a tote and then carry a thin folio in it, but to each her own.

EDIT: To expound upon this opinion: in your interview day, they will most likely give you a packet of information. You should also have a packet of important documents such as your personal statement, AMCAS activities, etc. If you are holding a purse in one hand and a folio in the other, it is more difficult to shake hands with your interviewers as you enter/leave. If you can get away without a purse by just carrying a zippered folio, or if you're like me and have to have a bag, then if you carry a tote in which to put the packet, then it saves you the awkward hand switch / stuff adjustment phase. It's also one less thing to carry on tours. Silly reason? Maybe. But that's my thought process 🙂

(FYI, this is my tote -- in black, not red, and they did a horrible photoshop job re-coloring the picture on the front page...the "more photos" link is better) http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLAT...Category=11-1001-1002|Level=2-3-4|pageid=6578

Regardless, the bag should match your shoes in color, and be leather, faux leather, or quality microfiber.
 
I have to go to rounds for Southwestern the day before my interview. They said that we should wear "business attire". I have a gray sheath dress with cap sleeves that looks like it's made out of the same fabric as a suit. It's similar to this http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=578998&CategoryID=39096&LinkType=#fn=sp%3D4%26spc%3D251 or this http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produ...40&CategoryID=39096&LinkType=#fn=sp=6&spc=251. Would that be appropriate?

I have an interview here too and am wondering the same thing. On the school thread they said dress shirt and tie is okay for men, but nobody really said what women wear. I'll ask! 🙂
 
I thought this one was kind of obvious, but evidently not, so imma just throw it out there:

At my last interview, there was a girl who had on a t-shirt under her jacket (...) that was longer than her jacket, and untucked...

Don't do that. She seemed like a solid applicant when I was talking to her, but I was constantly distracted by how unprofessional he ensemble was.
 
I thought this one was kind of obvious, but evidently not, so imma just throw it out there:

At my last interview, there was a girl who had on a t-shirt under her jacket (...) that was longer than her jacket, and untucked...

Don't do that. She seemed like a solid applicant when I was talking to her, but I was constantly distracted by how unprofessional he ensemble was.

Maybe something happened to her shirt? (ripped, ketchup spilled, burned while ironing, etc) Maybe she explained it to her interviewers? It does seem pretty bizarre...and embarrassing 🙁
 
Is it necessary to wear a button down shirt under your suit jacket?
If not, what are some alternatives?
Also, do you have to keep the jacket buttoned closed?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm wondering about trumpet style skirts. I currently have a very nice skirt suit that I love, but is the trumpet skirt that is part of it acceptable? Should I just go see if I can find a flattering pencil skirt or pants instead?
 
Is it necessary to wear a button down shirt under your suit jacket?
If not, what are some alternatives?
Also, do you have to keep the jacket buttoned closed?

No, you can wear a nice non-flashy shell. I'd stick with solid colors and not too much embellishment, although a little is fine! You should keep your suit jacket buttoned at all times when you're wearing it.
 
I'm wondering about trumpet style skirts. I currently have a very nice skirt suit that I love, but is the trumpet skirt that is part of it acceptable? Should I just go see if I can find a flattering pencil skirt or pants instead?

I think that sounds cute! 🙂 As long as the skirt is long enough I don't see a problem.