Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is a pant suit OK for girls? I am not a fan of skirts and would definitely feel more comfortable wearing a pant suit all day. Also, my suit comes with a pretty scarf to wear underneath the jacket. So is it OK to wear that instead of a white shirt?

I don't know, a scarf may be a little distracting. I would stick with a button-down or solid color shell.

Can I wear black suede boots with a pant suit or is a pump preferred? they're not completely flat

Boots would be fine under a pant suit as long as they are simple, IMO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like the ruffles, but it's pretty dark to wear under a dark suit...you will look very somber i think.
agreed.

the cream color is a nice alternative.

i swear, for all the nitpicking we do on here, i don't really notice once we're on the trail. Unless i see a girl with something that really stands out in a questionable way. (bright blingy bling hair pieces, not wearing a suit jacket, sparkly purple eyeshadow, etc.) I think the point is to be understated, honestly. It's a bigger risk to "make a statement" than it is not to. And who really wants to take risks on interview day?
 
i swear, for all the nitpicking we do on here, i don't really notice once we're on the trail. Unless i see a girl with something that really stands out in a questionable way. (bright blingy bling hair pieces, not wearing a suit jacket, sparkly purple eyeshadow, etc.) I think the point is to be understated, honestly. It's a bigger risk to "make a statement" than it is not to. And who really wants to take risks on interview day?

👍

From my interviews, I really only remembered one girl that wore a tank top (though it was a nice tank top with ruffles) with a skirt (no jacket... the only person at the interview day without a suit jacket), and (I kid you not) bright red, 6-inch, toeless heels.
 
To all you polish wearers:

As a follow-up to my previous questions about nail polish, I found the perfect shade for interviews: OPI Bubble Bath! With just 2 thin coats it looks very sheer and you can still see the natural nail. If you prefer, you can also make it opaque by adding another coat. Either way, totally subtle and professional.

Sheer:
DSC01134.JPG

So I saw this post and went out and bought this nailpolish. Gorgeous!

👍

From my interviews, I really only remembered one girl that wore a tank top (though it was a nice tank top with ruffles) with a skirt (no jacket... the only person at the interview day without a suit jacket), and (I kid you not) bright red, 6-inch, toeless heels.

Hawt. Some one's been watching too much Grey's.
 
Hi, I have my first interview coming up in December, and I'm trying to figure out what to wear.

1. I was thinking of bringing my everyday bag (http://www.polyvore.com/marc_jacobs_bow_wow_hillsy/thing?id=15207465) with me, but looking through this thread, I'm beginning to think that it's too casual (mostly because of its metallic detailing and the way it slouches when I carry it). Can I get some opinions?

2. I'm planning on wearing black shoes (like these http://www.zappos.com/fitzwell-lana-ii-black-patent). I didn't think anything of them before, but I'm getting kinda concerned that vinyl shoes will be too flashy...

Am I being paranoid? lol
Any feedback will be appreciated, Thanks!
 
Hi, I have my first interview coming up in December, and I'm trying to figure out what to wear.

1. I was thinking of bringing my everyday bag (http://www.polyvore.com/marc_jacobs_bow_wow_hillsy/thing?id=15207465) with me, but looking through this thread, I'm beginning to think that it's too casual (mostly because of its metallic detailing and the way it slouches when I carry it). Can I get some opinions?

2. I'm planning on wearing black shoes (like these http://www.zappos.com/fitzwell-lana-ii-black-patent). I didn't think anything of them before, but I'm getting kinda concerned that vinyl shoes will be too flashy...

Am I being paranoid? lol
Any feedback will be appreciated, Thanks!

Bag - no big deal if you use your bag, but if you can afford / own a tote, i'd use that instead just to be a tad more professional.

Shoes - are you wearing a pantsuit or skirt suit? if pantsuit, it's totally fine. If skirt suit...I still think it's fine. just so long as your skirt suit isn't at all questionably short and the heels aren't too high, otherwise you'd be heading into faux pas land. I saw a girl awkwardly and repeatedly try to smooth her skirt down during an hour long presentation because every time she crossed her legs, the skirt would creep up. It did not work.

Congratulations on the interview and best of luck!!! :luck:
 
Bag - no big deal if you use your bag, but if you can afford / own a tote, i'd use that instead just to be a tad more professional.

Shoes - are you wearing a pantsuit or skirt suit? if pantsuit, it's totally fine. If skirt suit...I still think it's fine. just so long as your skirt suit isn't at all questionably short and the heels aren't too high, otherwise you'd be heading into faux pas land. I saw a girl awkwardly and repeatedly try to smooth her skirt down during an hour long presentation because every time she crossed her legs, the skirt would creep up. It did not work.

Congratulations on the interview and best of luck!!! :luck:


Thanks for the quick reply and good wishes! 🙂
I'm going to be wearing pants, so I'll just go with the shoes I have.
And I think I'll go around shopping for a more formal-looking bag.
 
Can I just ask--why do we carry totes? I feel like it's "the womenly thing to do." I've never once used anything in my tote on an interview. Guys don't bring briefcases, and those who do bring small folders are few and far between.

Ha, in mine I carry resumes, phone, keys, copies of a research paper I did, copies of a poster I did based on the paper...pretty much anything that could possibly be useful (almost printed out my ~35 page undergrad thesis for my last one)...and it never is.

Am I in the minority? Has anyone ever actually opened their tote for something like that during an interview?
 
Can I just ask--why do we carry totes? I feel like it's "the womenly thing to do." I've never once used anything in my tote on an interview. Guys don't bring briefcases, and those who do bring small folders are few and far between.

Ha, in mine I carry resumes, phone, keys, copies of a research paper I did, copies of a poster I did based on the paper...pretty much anything that could possibly be useful (almost printed out my ~35 page undergrad thesis for my last one)...and it never is.

Am I in the minority? Has anyone ever actually opened their tote for something like that during an interview?

You bring it just in case. I pulled out my phone out of my tote during one while waiting because I was instructed to contact someone. I used makeup for touchups in between interviews at another and had that hidden in there. I've heard other girls hide flats in their bags to switch for the tour.

I always put the folder I'm given in my padfolio and into my tote. It makes it easier when I'm running from office to office for interviews - I might forget a folder, but definitely not my huge purse.

It's true, the great majority of the time you don't need it. However, you may encounter that 1% of the time where you do wish you had one. And again...do you really want to take any risks on interview day?

tl;dr: personal preference.
 
Can I just ask--why do we carry totes? I feel like it's "the womenly thing to do." I've never once used anything in my tote on an interview. Guys don't bring briefcases, and those who do bring small folders are few and far between.

Ha, in mine I carry resumes, phone, keys, copies of a research paper I did, copies of a poster I did based on the paper...pretty much anything that could possibly be useful (almost printed out my ~35 page undergrad thesis for my last one)...and it never is.

Am I in the minority? Has anyone ever actually opened their tote for something like that during an interview?

Do you need it? No. I carried a tote to my first interview... turned out I didn't really need it. I wore better shoes on my second interview so I didn't need to bring flats. So instead I just brought a padfolio and pen so I could have something to take notes in and carry any paperwork. It had pockets I could fit my ID and car key in. It's up to you.
 
Though I'd post this for anyone still looking to buy a suit.

Ann Taylor is having an ONLINE ONLY sale - 40% off everything with the code CHICTREAT. I know buying online is a little tricky, but 40%! Plus, free shipping with order over $150. Ends today at 11:59PM EST.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I just ask--why do we carry totes? I feel like it's "the womenly thing to do." I've never once used anything in my tote on an interview. Guys don't bring briefcases, and those who do bring small folders are few and far between.

Ha, in mine I carry resumes, phone, keys, copies of a research paper I did, copies of a poster I did based on the paper...pretty much anything that could possibly be useful (almost printed out my ~35 page undergrad thesis for my last one)...and it never is.

Am I in the minority? Has anyone ever actually opened their tote for something like that during an interview?

I had shoes, toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, deodorant, interview instructions, flight itinerary, my wallet, a water bottle, a book, cell phone, possibly a snack, keys, pens, and pencils in there. 😳 Also, anything small I was handed on the interview day.
 
I had shoes, toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, deodorant, interview instructions, flight itinerary, my wallet, a water bottle, a book, cell phone, possibly a snack, keys, pens, and pencils in there. 😳 Also, anything small I was handed on the interview day.

+1. I bolded what i brought. floss is important for after lunch, especially for all you salad ladies out there. Also, at another interview we didn't eat until after 1, so I was glad to have my snacks in the am while waiting.
 
Ok, so I really hate suits. I don't mind dresses, skirts, pants, cardigans, etc., but please no suit top. Is there anything else that's appropriate and professional enough?
 
Ok, so I really hate suits. I don't mind dresses, skirts, pants, cardigans, etc., but please no suit top. Is there anything else that's appropriate and professional enough?

Imagine you're sitting in a room with 11 other interviewees with suit jackets. Do you hate suits enough to offset the discomfort you would feel at being the only person without a suit jacket?

I am not 100% sure that suit jackets are essential. But I feel that they're the norm 99.9% of the time.
 
Ok, so I really hate suits. I don't mind dresses, skirts, pants, cardigans, etc., but please no suit top. Is there anything else that's appropriate and professional enough?

I'd recommend the suit top. There was only person that didn't wear a jacket at my interviews, and it really looked too casual and stood out.
 
You want to wear nude/beige pantyhose, not tights. 🙂


Maybe I am just oblivious when it comes to interview etiquette, but why are pantyhose acceptable but not tights?

The reason I ask is I am pondering about wearing a gray skirt suit with black tights (it seems like a nude or beige pantyhose would look a little goofy with the gray). I also will be interviewing in a cold city during a cold month, so would prefer the thickness of tights to provide more warmth. (I understand a pantsuit would provide the most warmth, however, I am not a pantsuit fan🙂)

Is this a big no-no?


Thank you so much in advance!
 
Can I just ask--why do we carry totes? I feel like it's "the womenly thing to do." I've never once used anything in my tote on an interview. Guys don't bring briefcases, and those who do bring small folders are few and far between.

Ha, in mine I carry resumes, phone, keys, copies of a research paper I did, copies of a poster I did based on the paper...pretty much anything that could possibly be useful (almost printed out my ~35 page undergrad thesis for my last one)...and it never is.

Am I in the minority? Has anyone ever actually opened their tote for something like that during an interview?

I second the bringing the snacks in the tote. At one of my interviews the meal was first and the interview was last, and instead of having to beeline for the snack machine I just pulled out a granola bar. I've also had use for my phone, chapstick, etc, and I bring a Tide spot stain pen for emergencies! I also bring a sheet with updates in a nice folder. I just think the tote is easier than having to walk around with any kind of folio, so it works for me. I don't think it's by any means necessary if you don't like the comfort of having a bunch of just-in-case stuff with you.
 
FYI gals - I wore a dark blue/forest green plaid dress with a black business coat over it for my interviews, and I believe I got complimented on it at every single school I went to. Many people said it was nice to see something different/some actual color. I'm just trying to say, a pant suit or skirt suit is not the end-all, be-all of med school interview attire. It definitely made me stand out, too, but not in a bad way 🙂

(it was kinda like this, except higher cut and I'm NOT that skinny 😛)
bcbgplaid.jpg

Do you remember where you found this dress? This is the look I am going for for my interviews 🙂
 
Maybe I am just oblivious when it comes to interview etiquette, but why are pantyhose acceptable but not tights?

The reason I ask is I am pondering about wearing a gray skirt suit with black tights (it seems like a nude or beige pantyhose would look a little goofy with the gray). I also will be interviewing in a cold city during a cold month, so would prefer the thickness of tights to provide more warmth. (I understand a pantsuit would provide the most warmth, however, I am not a pantsuit fan🙂)

Is this a big no-no?


Thank you so much in advance!

Black tights with a skirt suit is fine, I think. But IMO nude pantyhose still look more professional. You don't want to wear tan-colored tights, but pantyhose will look just fine with a gray suit (that's what I wore).
 
I'll chime in here too...

Black tights with a skirt suit is fine, I think. But IMO nude pantyhose still look more professional. You don't want to wear tan-colored tights, but pantyhose will look just fine with a gray suit (that's what I wore).

Yep.

In order of professionalism, from most to least:

Nude pantyhose
Black pantyhose
Dark pantyhose
Black tights
Dark tights
...
All other tights
Leggings
Jeggings
Anything with a pattern or a fishnet
 
So this is kind of a problem I've had for a while and I'm not really quite sure how to deal with it:

I've always had dark circles under my eyes and they've gotten worse through the years and I'm worried interviewers are going to think I'm too sleep-deprived or something to that effect. I want to use some concealer to cover them up but every time I try and do that, it creases (I get smile-wrinkles around my eyes as the day wears on) and I wind up looking really haggard.

Do any of you guys have an idea of how to deal with this? I'm not sure whether I'd rather look tired or old but I would love to look neither 😛
 
So this is kind of a problem I've had for a while and I'm not really quite sure how to deal with it:

I've always had dark circles under my eyes and they've gotten worse through the years and I'm worried interviewers are going to think I'm too sleep-deprived or something to that effect. I want to use some concealer to cover them up but every time I try and do that, it creases (I get smile-wrinkles around my eyes as the day wears on) and I wind up looking really haggard.

Do any of you guys have an idea of how to deal with this? I'm not sure whether I'd rather look tired or old but I would love to look neither 😛

First, incorporate eye cream into your daily routine. Bliss, Shiseido and Philosophy all make pretty awesome ones:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P74601
http://www.shiseido.com/eye-moisture-recharge/0730852530737,default,pd.html&cgid=skincare-eye-lip#!i%3D5
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P233901

Second, a brightening concealer is really helpful. Touche Eclat is incredible.
http://www.yslbeautyus.com/Touche-Éclat/141YSL,default,pd.html

Yes, they're expensive, but they work really well. Plus, they last a long time. I haven't had to replace more than once every 6 mos.

If money is an issue, you can try homeopathic remedies to deal with the undereye circles (e.g. cucumbers, cold packs, anti-inflammatories and chamomile tea). good luck!

semi-joking disclaimer: I'm not affiliated any of these companies, just a sephora junkie haha 😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First, incorporate eye cream into your daily routine. Bliss, Shiseido and Philosophy all make pretty awesome ones:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P74601
http://www.shiseido.com/eye-moisture-recharge/0730852530737,default,pd.html&cgid=skincare-eye-lip#!i%3D5
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P233901

Second, a brightening concealer is really helpful. Touche Eclat is incredible.
http://www.yslbeautyus.com/Touche-Éclat/141YSL,default,pd.html

Yes, they're expensive, but they work really well. Plus, they last a long time. I haven't had to replace more than once every 6 mos.

If money is an issue, you can try homeopathic remedies to deal with the undereye circles (e.g. cucumbers, cold packs, anti-inflammatories and chamomile tea). good luck!

semi-joking disclaimer: I'm not affiliated any of these companies, just a sephora junkie haha 😳

I'm already using a couple different eye creams for the dark circles but I think I'm fighting a losing battle haha

I'll definitely try that concealer though, thanks! Judging by the reviews it won't bring out my smile crinkles all that much 🙂

Also-- another question: Would it be terrible to wear this dress: http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/br...162&SLCat=cat4580001&addFacet=1002:cat4580042 with a suit jacket over it? Kind of worried that it miight be a bit too revealing?

And these shoes?
_6468341.jpg


or these?
_6507064.jpg


I'm kind of gravitating toward the first pair but I'm not sure whether that little tip at the heel would be appropriate or not. Thanks!
 
I'm already using a couple different eye creams for the dark circles but I think I'm fighting a losing battle haha

I'll definitely try that concealer though, thanks! Judging by the reviews it won't bring out my smile crinkles all that much 🙂

Also-- another question: Would it be terrible to wear this dress: http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/br...162&SLCat=cat4580001&addFacet=1002:cat4580042 with a suit jacket over it? Kind of worried that it miight be a bit too revealing?

And these shoes?

or these?


I'm kind of gravitating toward the first pair but I'm not sure whether that little tip at the heel would be appropriate or not. Thanks!

The deal with cleavage being too revealing is i think >1 in of cleavage? For med school interviews though, you probably want to err on the side of caution. Look down at your chest. If you see too much, so can anyone else. If you don't believe me, try this with a mirror, you'll see what I'm talking about.

As for the shoes, are you wearing a skirt or pant suit? If pants, doesn't matter. if skirt...I still don't think it matters. haha I think I gave a similar answer above. Honestly, they both look pretty professional/basic, so just pick whatever's more comfortable. Good luck with your interview!! :luck:
 
I like the first set of shoes from above. Thank goodness for this thread, I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to dressing professionally since I wear scrubs to work!

Do you guys think plain patent leather heels are OK or too party-ish? Also, as far as heel height, are there any rules of thumb?

Also, I hear all this talk about totes... makes me nervous, I carried a small pocketbook to my first interview with lip gloss, a little money, clear nail polish in case my pantyhose ripped, and a pen. Then I had my CV in a folder that I gave to my interviewer, which I carried separately.

What are some good rules of thumb for a tote? What are you guys putting in there?
 
Last edited:
I'm kind of gravitating toward the first pair but I'm not sure whether that little tip at the heel would be appropriate or not. Thanks!

I like the first shoes too! I think the detail on the heal is so minor, no one will notice it. And it's not like an outlandish color or something. I say go for it 🙂.
 
I like the first set of shoes from above. Thank goodness for this thread, I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to dressing professionally since I wear scrubs to work!

Do you guys think plain patent leather heels are OK or too party-ish? Also, as far as heel height, are there any rules of thumb?

Also, I hear all this talk about totes... makes me nervous, I carried a small pocketbook to my first interview with lip gloss, a little money, clear nail polish in case my pantyhose ripped, and a pen. Then I had my CV in a folder that I gave to my interviewer, which I carried separately.

What are some good rules of thumb for a tote? What are you guys putting in there?

You certainly don't need a tote, only bring one if you want to. There were posts earlier in this thread (maybe a page back or two?) where others were talking about what they carried in their tote.

And about heel height, I heard somewhere no more than 3 inches tall. But maybe km17 will chime in 👍.
 
Do you guys think plain patent leather heels are OK or too party-ish? Also, as far as heel height, are there any rules of thumb? What are some good rules of thumb for a tote? What are you guys putting in there?

plain patent leather heels are fine. I think as soon as you surpass 2", 2.5" (maybe..) you're in questionable territory, unless you're a midget and even then i don't think you should chance looking like a divaaaa. save the stilettos for the night you get accepted 😉

What ladies have put in their totes (see previous posts):
snacks (granola bars, etc)
floss
cell phone
keys
pen/pencil
chapstick (makeup)
Tide-to-go stain pen
sheet with updates
padfolio/folder
the folder you get from the school
deodorant
flight itinerary
shoes to change into for the tour
wallet
water bottle
book
toothpaste/brush

i can edit and add to this list if ladies post additional things later. good luck! :luck::xf::luck::xf::luck:

top...a good place for this list 😀
 
As I said before, a tote is totally not NECESSARY if you can't think of anything to put in it. I saw a lot of ladies that did not bring a bag at all or brought only a small one. However, I have found mine to be very handy for the reasons idf27 posted above. 🙂
 
What is the rule on how tight the dress pants can be? I have a pair of grey dress pants that miraculously match the exact grey that my skirt suit is made out of…I was wondering if I can use the pants during winter interviews with my suit jacket. They fit really snugly against my hips, butt, and upper thighs but they loosen on the way down (they aren't like skinny jeans or anything..they fit more like "boot cut"). If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! 🙂

uhmmmmm is there VPL? that would be your first dead giveaway.

I suppose it would also depend on the length of your suit jacket and how much of your booty your jacket covers. even if you've got a nice derriere you don't want it to be featured primetime during your interview 😉 and that's all i have to say about that. haha
 
uhmmmmm is there VPL? that would be your first dead giveaway.

I suppose it would also depend on the length of your suit jacket and how much of your booty your jacket covers. even if you've got a nice derriere you don't want it to be featured primetime during your interview 😉 and that's all i have to say about that. haha

No there wouldn't be, lol. My suit jacket is short (stops at my hips). My derriere really doesn't stand out more than it would in tight jeans. But I see what you're saying. 🙂
 
I'll chime in here too...



Yep.

In order of professionalism, from most to least:

Nude pantyhose
Black pantyhose
Dark pantyhose
Black tights
Dark tights
...
All other tights
Leggings
Jeggings
Anything with a pattern or a fishnet


Thanks for both of your inputs! Gonna go with the black pantyhose! (For some odd reason I thought panthose only came in an orange-y beige color. So glad that isn't true! 👍 )
 
uhmmmmm is there VPL? that would be your first dead giveaway.

I suppose it would also depend on the length of your suit jacket and how much of your booty your jacket covers. even if you've got a nice derriere you don't want it to be featured primetime during your interview 😉 and that's all i have to say about that. haha

At my interview the other week there was a girl wearing super-tight, stretchy black pants. While she may have had a nice butt, it was definitely not appropriate for the occasion. Dress pants shouldn't cling to your butt, they should fit your waist and then hang fairly loosely, as they are usually straight-leg.
 
What is the rule on how tight the dress pants can be? I have a pair of grey dress pants that miraculously match the exact grey that my skirt suit is made out of…I was wondering if I can use the pants during winter interviews with my suit jacket. They fit really snugly against my hips, butt, and upper thighs but they loosen on the way down (they aren't like skinny jeans or anything..they fit more like "boot cut"). If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! 🙂

Whoops, meant to quote this one instead of idf's. Oh well. Anyways, I'd say no. Anything that is snug all the way down to your upper thighs is a little inappropriate for an interview, in my opinion.
 
Whoops, meant to quote this one instead of idf's. Oh well. Anyways, I'd say no. Anything that is snug all the way down to your upper thighs is a little inappropriate for an interview, in my opinion.

Thank you! I appreciate the honesty. I will just stick to my skirt then, even in the winter. Maybe I will buy matching pants later on.

Next question:

I have some amazing black pumps (amazing because they are super comfortable), however, I have never worn them with panty hose. I just tried it and my foot keeps slipping out. Should I buy those heel pads? Do they work? Thank you! 🙂

This thread is a godsend. I'm totally helpless. :laugh:
 
I don't know if this has been answered before (sorry if it has), but does your tote/handbag need to be a subdued black, grey, or brown color? I have a bright blue Coach bag that is leather and without all the fussy Cs, and find it quite useful and spacious. It's not really a tote but is fairly medium-sized.

Think: a mix of sapphire and palatinate blue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_blue

Is that too bright? The rest of the outfit is pretty much grey/black and I'm still trying to find a shell, but hoping that can have a decent pop of color too...I tend to wear bright-colored clothes instead of black/grey...

If not, can we have a colored bag at all? I like this kind of style for instance, or is this too much color as well?
http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/handbags/leatherbags/PRDOVR~57662/57662.jsp
 
Does the blouse under the suit have to be tucked in? My pants are pretty high-wasted..and I think it looks silly/80s to wear the blouse tucked in...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you! I appreciate the honesty. I will just stick to my skirt then, even in the winter. Maybe I will buy matching pants later on.

Next question:

I have some amazing black pumps (amazing because they are super comfortable), however, I have never worn them with panty hose. I just tried it and my foot keeps slipping out. Should I buy those heel pads? Do they work? Thank you! 🙂

This thread is a godsend. I'm totally helpless. :laugh:

HEEL PADS YES! They got me through internships, lol.
 
Hmmm, it appears that my new post notifications aren't working...maybe from the SDN facelift?

Thank you! I appreciate the honesty. I will just stick to my skirt then, even in the winter. Maybe I will buy matching pants later on.

Next question:

I have some amazing black pumps (amazing because they are super comfortable), however, I have never worn them with panty hose. I just tried it and my foot keeps slipping out. Should I buy those heel pads? Do they work? Thank you! 🙂

This thread is a godsend. I'm totally helpless. :laugh:

Yep, heel pads are great. They don't work as well if you try to move them around between shoes, so buy one set for each pair of shoes you'd like to wear to interviews.

I don't know if this has been answered before (sorry if it has), but does your tote/handbag need to be a subdued black, grey, or brown color? I have a bright blue Coach bag that is leather and without all the fussy Cs, and find it quite useful and spacious. It's not really a tote but is fairly medium-sized.

Think: a mix of sapphire and palatinate blue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_blue

Is that too bright? The rest of the outfit is pretty much grey/black and I'm still trying to find a shell, but hoping that can have a decent pop of color too...I tend to wear bright-colored clothes instead of black/grey...

If not, can we have a colored bag at all? I like this kind of style for instance, or is this too much color as well?
http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/handbags/leatherbags/PRDOVR~57662/57662.jsp

1) I love that shade of blue!
2) I wouldn't wear a bag that color to an interview.

I'm always going to err on the conservative side, but both those bags would make me think "whoa, that's a bright bag" not "that girl looks really put together." I think you can do a "colored" bag, but I would look for something that is still neutral (dark green, dark blue, dark purple, etc.). Just my $0.02.

Does the blouse under the suit have to be tucked in? My pants are pretty high-wasted..and I think it looks silly/80s to wear the blouse tucked in...

If your blouse shows below your jacket or has an unfinished hem, then it needs to be tucked in. I would also tuck it in if you are wearing a traditional button down (not necessarily true for highly stylized button downs).
 
hi, is it absolutely necessary to wear a button up? I have a large chest (NOT fun, despite what the media says--i have so much trouble finding clothes that will fit me) and I get awkward gaps in between buttons. yes, I need a larger size, perhaps, but I don't think I have time to get to a tailor to take in the sides (I was recently put on medication that increased my body weight, and so clothes I bought before for the interview cannot be worn now; I had to rush and get something so I could have it for Thursday).

I'm also a bit self conscious when I sit down, since I have a bit of a tummy, but I've never worn anything like spanx. anyone with that experience during an interview? how was it? I don't think it's something I should try for the first time during my interview.
 
hi, is it absolutely necessary to wear a button up? I have a large chest (NOT fun, despite what the media says--i have so much trouble finding clothes that will fit me) and I get awkward gaps in between buttons. yes, I need a larger size, perhaps, but I don't think I have time to get to a tailor to take in the sides (I was recently put on medication that increased my body weight, and so clothes I bought before for the interview cannot be worn now; I had to rush and get something so I could have it for Thursday).

I'm also a bit self conscious when I sit down, since I have a bit of a tummy, but I've never worn anything like spanx. anyone with that experience during an interview? how was it? I don't think it's something I should try for the first time during my interview.

I know exactly how you feel!! Have you tried wearing a (comfortable) sports bra under a tank top under a button-down shirt? Sounds like a lot of layers, but it's getting cold anyway, haha. That said, blouses are absolutely fine, and I wore them to 3 of my 4 interviews.

If you are self conscious about your stomach, consider a high-waisted skirt, and tuck your button down or blouse into it. Basically eliminates the problem. Consider keeping your suit jacket buttoned, but you don't have to.

Bottom line is, wear something that you are comfortable and confident in. If you are self conscious about how you look, you'll fidget and be distracting to yourself and your interviewer.
 
hi, is it absolutely necessary to wear a button up? I have a large chest (NOT fun, despite what the media says--i have so much trouble finding clothes that will fit me) and I get awkward gaps in between buttons.

Style Snaps. They work like a charm for awkward gaps in button ups.