Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Who on earth would wear a Sunday brunch jumper? Let me rephrase: WHAT on earth is a Sunday brunch jumper?

Regardless, will never not be filled with glee to see that photo collage resurface. It is my masterpiece.
3136-MUL-A_d1aa1f38-5fdd-4c9c-9119-7304000ab59b.jpeg

(this is an absurdly large photo, my apologies)
This is nearly identical, bar the fabric perhaps and a swoop neck versus plunging neckline, of which I've seen twice.
 
Oh. Oof. It's really unfair, but most people in their early twenties just haven't had the opportunities or advising necessary to learn how to present themselves.

Every time I saw someone at an interview who was dressed in a way that really, uh, stood out, I tried to compliment them--if I could do so sincerely. I would have made a lot of the same mistakes ten years ago. And once you're in the room and dressed all wrong, the best accessory anyone can hand you is a dose of confidence.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd assume as much ! Loose, flowy, and hides the proof of your gluttony! 😀

I'm not very good at those sorts of conversations; particular in high stakes situations. I'll drive conversations to something light and carefree (while secretly cringing on the inside) Also, those in the aforementioned faux pas tend to be seemingly unapproachable and catty in nature by their remarks or body language. Could be RBF-syndrome, though.

It kind of baffles me tho -- Do people really not see the enormity of medical school interviews?
 
I'd assume as much ! Loose, flowy, and hides the proof of your gluttony! 😀

I'm not very good at those sorts of conversations; particular in high stakes situations. I'll drive conversations to something light and carefree (while secretly cringing on the inside) Also, those in the aforementioned faux pas tend to be seemingly unapproachable and catty in nature by their remarks or body language. Could be RBF-syndrome, though.

It kind of baffles me tho -- Do people really not see the enormity of medical school interviews?
I think if it had been me there would be a level of BUT THIS IS WHO I AM! combined with a dash or two of class rage.

I figure they might not get in, but they should definitely know I appreciate the basic sentiment. As well as the hot pink shift with polka dot accessories.

Some of us just ARE hot pink shifts with polka dot accessories, you know?
 
Okay - take two. I certainly hope this outfit is a bit better! Note the higher neckline and different shoes. I know the cream colored top is a bit boring, but it was either this or a loud purple or olive and I think an understated shirt might not be a bad thing for my moderatly unconventional application haha. Of course, hose will be worn, but I didn't want to put a run in them for the sake of a picture. 🙂 Thank you for your helpful comments! I feel enormously more confident in this outfit than the last.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 313
Okay - take two. I certainly hope this outfit is a bit better! Note the higher neckline and different shoes. I know the cream colored top is a bit boring, but it was either this or a loud purple or olive and I think an understated shirt might not be a bad thing for my moderatly unconventional application haha. Of course, hose will be worn, but I didn't want to put a run in them for the sake of a picture. 🙂 Thank you for your helpful comments! I feel enormously more confident in this outfit than the last.

Very nice! --
 
Quick question for @Winged Scapula scapula and @DokterMom : is this purse too big? I know rule of thumb is no tote, but it's nicely constructed and I like that I can fit my notepad and other letter size paper in it without having to fold them. If it's too big I have a different purse I can bring, but just wanted to check.
msks1099304bla_1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Quick question for @Winged Scapula scapula and @DokterMom : is this purse too big? I know rule of thumb is no tote, but it's nicely constructed and I like that I can fit my notepad and other letter size paper in it without having to fold them. If it's too big I have a different purse I can bring, but just wanted to check.
msks1099304bla_1.jpg
Its definitely on the large side (and you don't really need a notepad) but as you note, its well constructed. If the other one were of this style but smaller, I'd recommend this but this one is not entirely objectionable. <----- damning with faint praise 😉
 
Its definitely on the large side (and you don't really need a notepad) but as you note, its well constructed. If the other one were of this style but smaller, I'd recommend this but this one is not entirely objectionable. <----- damning with faint praise 😉

Agreeing with @Winged Scapula. It's the very largest I would go, but the quality and highly-structured design work against the 'beach tote' look to make it work. This same bag in a slightly smaller size would be a home run.
 
Its definitely on the large side (and you don't really need a notepad) but as you note, its well constructed. If the other one were of this style but smaller, I'd recommend this but this one is not entirely objectionable. <----- damning with faint praise 😉
Agreeing with @Winged Scapula. It's the very largest I would go, but the quality and highly-structured design work against the 'beach tote' look to make it work. This same bag in a slightly smaller size would be a home run.

Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it!
 
So I am in a pickle. I am not trying to break bank by going to a tailor. But I'm between sizes. Blazers are either perfectly length but a bit snug width wis, so you can definitely tell its tight when buttoned but it axtually looks fitted. The size up however, fitsince lose everywhere even the sleeves are long (past palms almost to finger length) but when buttoned there is no pull or anything...because it's pretty loose (doesn't look very fitted or professional).

Any advice? Do we have to have the blazer buttoned the whole time? Would it look bad if when buttoned it looks a bit snug around the button but not in other areas (arms, chest etc)
 
Does anyone else feel insufferably frumpy in a skirt suit? They look very nice on models. I bought both a skirt and pants to go with my jacket but can't handle how matronly I look in the skirt. Is it in my head? Leaning towards the pants just for that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am in a pickle. I am not trying to break bank by going to a tailor. But I'm between sizes. Blazers are either perfectly length but a bit snug width wis, so you can definitely tell its tight when buttoned but it axtually looks fitted. The size up however, fitsince lose everywhere even the sleeves are long (past palms almost to finger length) but when buttoned there is no pull or anything...because it's pretty loose (doesn't look very fitted or professional).

Any advice? Do we have to have the blazer buttoned the whole time? Would it look bad if when buttoned it looks a bit snug around the button but not in other areas (arms, chest etc)

Are you me?! I'm the same way, except I was tight through the shoulders and arms (thanks rock climbing). I went up in size so that I can tailor after my (last minute) interview. And so I can eat lots and lots of Christmas cookies.
 
Does anyone else feel insufferably frumpy in a skirt suit? They look very nice on models. I bought both a skirt and pants to go with my jacket but can't handle how matronly I look in the skirt. Is it in my head? Leaning towards the pants just for that.
It's probably all in our heads; I think I look like a child in a pantsuit, so I've opted to wear a skirt! Doesn't matter either way though - wear what makes you feel most comfortable and confident 🙂
 
Are you me?! I'm the same way, except I was tight through the shoulders and arms (thanks rock climbing). I went up in size so that I can tailor after my (last minute) interview. And so I can eat lots and lots of Christmas cookies.

Yeah!! chest area is snug too. But going up a size the sleeves are sooo long and then the nice fitted blazer turns lose at the waist. I'm already square, so I hate that it makes me look I'm wearing something 2 sizes too big 🙁
 
So I am in a pickle. I am not trying to break bank by going to a tailor. But I'm between sizes. Blazers are either perfectly length but a bit snug width wis, so you can definitely tell its tight when buttoned but it axtually looks fitted. The size up however, fitsince lose everywhere even the sleeves are long (past palms almost to finger length) but when buttoned there is no pull or anything...because it's pretty loose (doesn't look very fitted or professional).

Any advice? Do we have to have the blazer buttoned the whole time? Would it look bad if when buttoned it looks a bit snug around the button but not in other areas (arms, chest etc)

You will not need to have your blazer buttoned the whole time, but if it looks a bit tight, you should probably size up. Shortening the sleeves is EASY and CHEAP. It's also relatively easy to bring a blazer in a bit at the sides and waist if needed so it doesn't look baggy. Buy for the fit at the shoulders and let a tailor do the rest. It will - seriously - be money well spent.

Does anyone else feel insufferably frumpy in a skirt suit? They look very nice on models. I bought both a skirt and pants to go with my jacket but can't handle how matronly I look in the skirt. Is it in my head? Leaning towards the pants just for that.

Try having the skirt tailored. Changing the profile of the bottom third from straight to slightly tapered in (pencil) can make a huge difference in the 'frump factor'.
 
So I am in a pickle. I am not trying to break bank by going to a tailor. But I'm between sizes. Blazers are either perfectly length but a bit snug width wis, so you can definitely tell its tight when buttoned but it axtually looks fitted. The size up however, fitsince lose everywhere even the sleeves are long (past palms almost to finger length) but when buttoned there is no pull or anything...because it's pretty loose (doesn't look very fitted or professional).

Any advice? Do we have to have the blazer buttoned the whole time? Would it look bad if when buttoned it looks a bit snug around the button but not in other areas (arms, chest etc)

I understand the tight budget - but I would still strongly recommend getting it tailored. It makes such a huge difference. If you have a Nordstrom around you, go get a suit there. But first, get a Nordstrom card. You can get it as a credit card or a debit card, and any sales person there can set you up. No annual fee, no nothing - but it will get you a $100 tailoring credit. I bought a suit there and got some major alterations done (basically reconstructed the pants), and it came out to be $90, so if you need just standard alterations like sleeves done, I am sure it will be less than that, which $100 will definitely cover. Also, the first $100 spend with the card you get $20 back, which you can spend on accessories, etc 🙂

Edit: The card works at Nordstrom Rack too! And they will tailor whatever you bought at the Rack as well. Sorry if I sound like a salesperson - I swear I don't work there, I just love Nordy...
 
Does anyone else feel insufferably frumpy in a skirt suit? They look very nice on models. I bought both a skirt and pants to go with my jacket but can't handle how matronly I look in the skirt. Is it in my head? Leaning towards the pants just for that.

I feel the opposite. I'm short and curvy, so I feel frumpy in the pantsuit and the pencil skirt flatters me.
 
I feel the opposite. I'm short and curvy, so I feel frumpy in the pantsuit and the pencil skirt flatters me.

I think that @DokterMom is exactly correct for me- I need to make it a little more fitted, and that's probably how it fits you 🙂
 
Just a note--I wore a skirt suit without pantyhose and received an acceptance.
My point is, make sure your overall look is professional, nothing crazy or revealing. Other than that, trust your instincts and know your comfort level and you will look fine. Good luck to all in the upcoming interviews!
 
Just a note--I wore a skirt suit without pantyhose and received an acceptance.
My point is, make sure your overall look is professional, nothing crazy or revealing. Other than that, trust your instincts and know your comfort level and you will look fine. Good luck to all in the upcoming interviews!
If several on this thread wore what they found comfortable or trusted their instincts, we'd see a lot of sweatpants and entirely inappropriate attire.

Our recommendation to wear pantyhose/X/Y/and Z is not meant to be interpreted that going without means instant rejection. Its the one thing you can control so why risk it? You were accepted in spite of your lack of pantyhose, IMHO.
 
You will not need to have your blazer buttoned the whole time, but if it looks a bit tight, you should probably size up. Shortening the sleeves is EASY and CHEAP. It's also relatively easy to bring a blazer in a bit at the sides and waist if needed so it doesn't look baggy. Buy for the fit at the shoulders and let a tailor do the rest. It will - seriously - be money well spent.



Try having the skirt tailored. Changing the profile of the bottom third from straight to slightly tapered in (pencil) can make a huge difference in the 'frump factor'.

I got quoted about 48-58$ for sleeve take in. About 70+ for waist take in. :\ Too much?
 
I understand the tight budget - but I would still strongly recommend getting it tailored. It makes such a huge difference. If you have a Nordstrom around you, go get a suit there. But first, get a Nordstrom card. You can get it as a credit card or a debit card, and any sales person there can set you up. No annual fee, no nothing - but it will get you a $100 tailoring credit. I bought a suit there and got some major alterations done (basically reconstructed the pants), and it came out to be $90, so if you need just standard alterations like sleeves done, I am sure it will be less than that, which $100 will definitely cover. Also, the first $100 spend with the card you get $20 back, which you can spend on accessories, etc 🙂

Edit: The card works at Nordstrom Rack too! And they will tailor whatever you bought at the Rack as well. Sorry if I sound like a salesperson - I swear I don't work there, I just love Nordy...

Not sure if I want my credit run for a store I never use :\
 
I got quoted about 48-58$ for sleeve take in. About 70+ for waist take in. :\ Too much?
Hmm I'd say shop around...I used Yelp to find a tailor in my area who was very highly reviewed (and comments said he was cheap). He took in my skirt for $20, and it turned out so much nicer than I was expecting. Go to "mom and pop" type businesses and see what they charge.
 
Hmm I'd say shop around...I used Yelp to find a tailor in my area who was very highly reviewed (and comments said he was cheap). He took in my skirt for $20, and it turned out so much nicer than I was expecting. Go to "mom and pop" type businesses and see what they charge.

I'll give it a go. I'd just hate to spend 2x the price of the blazer on tailoring :\
 
I'll give it a go. I'd just hate to spend 2x the price of the blazer on tailoring :\
I've always had to pay a pretty penny for good tailoring. I'm also very tall so that means everything needs to be taken down and sometimes taken in. My tailoring actually cost more than the suit I got on sale. It's worth it though in my opinion to have at least one very well tailored suit. It makes a difference in how you look and feel.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi ladies! Would love get your thoughts here. I am worried about bringing my most professional bag with me to my interview because it is Kate Spade. I got it for $100, but the normal price for this bag was something close to $400. I am anxious about how carrying this bag will make me look in the interview setting.

What do you all think? Would this be an appropriate bag to carry on my interview?

It is maybe worth noting that nothing else about my outfit is gaudy.
View attachment 196719
PSA: Kate Spade is having a surprise sale RIGHT NOW! Ends tonight at midnight (PST!).

http://surprise.katespade.com/on/de...eSale-Site/en_US/Search-Show?cgid=ks-view-all
 
Takeaway point: look as forgettable as possible.

Still, do professional looking alternatives to blazers exist?

Also, just for a laugh, a male interviewee I saw today had a tie clip that looked like a tiny sword stuck through his tie. He said it was a family heirloom. Tbh, I thought it was cute and small detail like that reveals your individuality and is not a problem at all.
 
Last edited:
Okay went to outlets gorgeous 5 hourss.. almost passed on bothering with banana Republic but went it and ...yay! Suit for 42$$ 🙂 dark navy so it's blue my fave color. Bought the clarks I've been drooling over since two years back just looking for a similar shade shirt.
Do you guys think any fall ish colors would work (wine, golden-mustard yellowish)? Or even a white shirt?

Will probably get it let out just a tiny bit though, not sure. It's the whole will it come out okay thing I'm weary of.
 

Attachments

  • Snapchat-8487543085255804603.jpg
    Snapchat-8487543085255804603.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 319
  • Snapchat-1692847136872839895.jpg
    Snapchat-1692847136872839895.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 272
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad