-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Women's Interview Clothing #3!
Started by Geekchick921
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Thoughts on black tights with a black skirt? It was cold and raining for my last interview. These were fleece lined and so comfy and warm. I just hope i didnt look stupid.
No, the adcoms have already said not to do that. Wear hose that matches your skin tone, not tights.
no. just checked. I tried it on again, and it feels better than a month ago. Was trying to take pics to post but it's hard to get a good shot lol. Oh well, gives me a reason to go shopping. 😉
Shop or run -- The choice is yours. A skirt that's too tight in the tush is a problem...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello ladies of SDN,
I have a question regarding suit fabrics. Living in southern california, I did not know that certain fabrics are not okay for different seasons, and I recently discovered this. I bought a suit back in August that is "cotton sateen" fabric (ann taylor). I have an interview in two weeks in the Chicago area. I realize now, that it would have been more appropriate to choose a "tropical wool" or "all-seasons" material. Is this like a big no no? or no big deal. Honestly, I don't think anyone would really notice as the material has only a slight sheen to it compared to a wool, but lord knows I'm paranoid.
thanks 🙂
I have a question regarding suit fabrics. Living in southern california, I did not know that certain fabrics are not okay for different seasons, and I recently discovered this. I bought a suit back in August that is "cotton sateen" fabric (ann taylor). I have an interview in two weeks in the Chicago area. I realize now, that it would have been more appropriate to choose a "tropical wool" or "all-seasons" material. Is this like a big no no? or no big deal. Honestly, I don't think anyone would really notice as the material has only a slight sheen to it compared to a wool, but lord knows I'm paranoid.
thanks 🙂
Hello ladies of SDN,
I have a question regarding suit fabrics. Living in southern california, I did not know that certain fabrics are not okay for different seasons, and I recently discovered this. I bought a suit back in August that is "cotton sateen" fabric (ann taylor). I have an interview in two weeks in the Chicago area. I realize now, that it would have been more appropriate to choose a "tropical wool" or "all-seasons" material. Is this like a big no no? or no big deal. Honestly, I don't think anyone would really notice as the material has only a slight sheen to it compared to a wool, but lord knows I'm paranoid.
thanks 🙂
Sorry, but cotton sateen is not optimal, and not suitable for Chicago in the fall...
@DokterMom or anyone else, any input on my outfit? I really appreciate any advice.
A few questions:
1. Is this bag ok? I already own it and it's a little more slouchy/less structured than in the picture. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kate-sp...illa-leather-tote-nordstrom-exclusive/3692844
2. Are these heels ok (I bought the black patent ones)? They are surprisingly comfortable and easy to walk in. I've seen some posts earlier in this thread that say no patent leather. I thought they were appropriate but I'd love a final answer: http://www.aerosoles.com/store/jump/product/Red-Hot-Slip-On-Pump/RED-HOT
3. I'll be wearing a black pantsuit with a light purple button down top. Should I wear black or nude pantyhose with black shoes (I'll be getting the sock type pantyhose, not full ones)?
Thanks!
@DokterMom or anyone else, any input on my outfit? I really appreciate any advice.
Sorry for the delay! For some reason I kept getting kicked off SDN.
I like the bag! Maybe remove the long shoulder strap to streamline things. Great bag, IMO, and is appropriate. Love the heel height of the shoes—they do look comfortable (Aerosoles is a great brand). I don't think anyone said "no" to patent leather because it's inappropriate, but instead they were urging people to choose a finish with more texture, which can just look better than patent leather—I do think these particular shoes will look very nice, though! And I'm going to toss the pantyhose questions to the the adults
Thank you both! It's just always nice to have someone double check your choices in this situation 🙂 @DokterMom @Person1345
Sorry, but cotton sateen is not optimal, and not suitable for Chicago in the fall...
Thanks for the advice! My only hope is that ann taylor will still exchange and have something better in store 🙁
Edit: I already have my shirt and accesories picked out for the blue suit. Is it unacceptable to wear cordovan shoes/bag and a light coral silk button down with a different colored suit?
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! My only hope is that ann taylor will still exchange and have something better in store 🙁
Edit: I already have my shirt and accesories picked out for the blue suit. Is it unacceptable to wear cordovan shoes/bag and a light coral silk button down with a different colored suit?
There are certainly other suit colors that would work with cordovan and light coral, and no hard and fast 'rule' limiting...
It depends on the color suit! 🙂 But cordovan is great because it looks great with basically all suit colors (navy, grey, charcoal, burgundy/red). I'm trying to imagine the coral blouse with the unknown suit so maybe send a link of your potential suit choice when you find it.Thanks for the advice! My only hope is that ann taylor will still exchange and have something better in store 🙁
Edit: I already have my shirt and accesories picked out for the blue suit. Is it unacceptable to wear cordovan shoes/bag and a light coral silk button down with a different colored suit?
God, theoretically that sounds to die for.Edit: I already have my shirt and accesories picked out for the blue suit. Is it unacceptable to wear cordovan shoes/bag and a light coral silk button down with a different colored suit?
It depends on the color suit! 🙂 But cordovan is great because it looks great with basically all suit colors (navy, grey, charcoal, burgundy/red). I'm trying to imagine the coral blouse with the unknown suit so maybe send a link of your potential suit choice when you find it.
There are certainly other suit colors that would work with cordovan and light coral, and no hard and fast 'rule' limiting...
Thanks everyone for the replies!! I'm still going to try to go for a blue suit because I'm super pale with reddish brown hair and I think it looks the best, but I think I may be okay with a gray too.
Here are my shoes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141743988809?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
shirt: http://www.anntaylor.com/silk-shirt...olor=2810&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010 (melon coral)
bag is a ralph lauren structured tote, i'll take a pic when i get home. Found it at marshalls for like half off!
For pantsuits, I'm thinking something like these -
grey- http://www.anntaylor.com/all-season...olor=6508&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
blue - http://www.anntaylor.com/tropical-w...olor=1220&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
or the 1-button (this one is in the store so i would't have to worry about shipping not coming in time) http://www.anntaylor.com/all-season...olor=1878&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
Edit: I went to the store and exchanged the other cotton sateen! I bought the grey suit and I am happy with it! I think it looks much better with black shoes and a black handbag though (which is sad cuz i looked so far and wide for the cordovan) Here's a picture 🙂 Thanks for the help!!!
Attachments
Last edited:
What's the winter-women's-shoe situation at interviews in Dec/Jan? Where I'm at, the parking lots are slushy and wet up to your ankles, if not higher. My heels/hose would be soaked and dirty before I even walked into the building. Is this something to not worry about at other places, or do women usually wear boots into the building and then pull a switcheroo? Sorry if this has already been asked!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hate to say it after all your work but those trousers don't fit you well: note the whiskering across the crotch and how close they are to the thighs. If this is a stretch material that can be a problem with them being too form fitting. See here for some tips: https://youlookfab.com/2013/02/21/how-to-minimize-trouser-whiskering/Thanks everyone for the replies!! I'm still going to try to go for a blue suit because I'm super pale with reddish brown hair and I think it looks the best, but I think I may be okay with a gray too.
Here are my shoes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141743988809?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
shirt: http://www.anntaylor.com/silk-shirt...olor=2810&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010 (melon coral)
bag is a ralph lauren structured tote, i'll take a pic when i get home. Found it at marshalls for like half off!
For pantsuits, I'm thinking something like these -
grey- http://www.anntaylor.com/all-season...olor=6508&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
blue - http://www.anntaylor.com/tropical-w...olor=1220&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
or the 1-button (this one is in the store so i would't have to worry about shipping not coming in time) http://www.anntaylor.com/all-season...olor=1878&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
Edit: I went to the store and exchanged the other cotton sateen! I bought the grey suit and I am happy with it! I think it looks much better with black shoes and a black handbag though (which is sad cuz i looked so far and wide for the cordovan) Here's a picture 🙂 Thanks for the help!!!
OTOH: The blouse is a lovely color and good choice on bag and shoes.
I'm 5'11" and so have no experience (read: literally 0) walking in heels. Should I try to start walking around the house in a new pair, or does my height allow me to wear professional flats?
Kitten heel is your friend! Even if you decide to go with taller ones, wearing them around the house is a great idea. I break my shoes in by vacuuming in them, wearing them to go around the block to get coffee, etc. Every time I wear it I lengthen the distance I walk in them. Good luck!I'm 5'11" and so have no experience (read: literally 0) walking in heels. Should I try to start walking around the house in a new pair, or does my height allow me to wear professional flats?
I hate to say it after all your work but those trousers don't fit you well: note the whiskering across the crotch and how close they are to the thighs. If this is a stretch material that can be a problem with them being too form fitting. See here for some tips: https://youlookfab.com/2013/02/21/how-to-minimize-trouser-whiskering/
OTOH: The blouse is a lovely color and good choice on bag and shoes.
Yes I saw that too but when I tried the next size up it was just huge in all areas... I don't think theres really enough time to tailor and I'm really cashed out so I'll just have to deal with it :/
Edit- I may suck it up and go to a tailor, that article was really helpful!
Last edited:
This is the suit I was hoping to get! But, I'd only be able to order it online, so I'm hesitating a little bit. Did you find that the jacket was true to size?
Last edited:
I wouldn't order from Ann Taylor online unless you've worn clothes from there before. I'm a size 4 pretty much universally, but my suit from Ann Taylor is a size 0. Do you have enough time to exchange and tailor?This is the suit I was hoping to get! But, I'd only be able to order it online, so I'm hesitating a little bit. Did you find that the jacket was true to size?
This is the suit I was hoping to get! But, I'd only be able to order it online, so I'm hesitating a little bit. Did you find that the jacket was true to size?
I bought this one! I'm also normally a size 4 universally, but I have narrow shoulders so I have a size 2 in jacket and I ended up just exchanging the size 6 pants I bought for the 8 and bringing them to a tailor to take in the waist. Although, online there is the "kate trouser" which is more curvy which would probably be better for me... Also, I'm around 5'8" and the pants were the perfect length for me with shoes on, so if you're any shorter then they'd probably be too long.
If there is a store anywhere near you, you can order online and then exchange the sizes in store/get it tailored?
I wouldn't order from Ann Taylor online unless you've worn clothes from there before. I'm a size 4 pretty much universally, but my suit from Ann Taylor is a size 0. Do you have enough time to exchange and tailor?
I bought this one! I'm also normally a size 4 universally, but I have narrow shoulders so I have a size 2 in jacket and I ended up just exchanging the size 6 pants I bought for the 8 and bringing them to a tailor to take in the waist. Although, online there is the "kate trouser" which is more curvy which would probably be better for me... Also, I'm around 5'8" and the pants were the perfect length for me with shoes on, so if you're any shorter then they'd probably be too long.
If there is a store anywhere near you, you can order online and then exchange the sizes in store/get it tailored?
I was hoping this wasn't the case. I have a small frame 🙁
I do have time, but it's been hit-or-miss when I've gotten suits tailored in the past. The jacket will end up looking funny on me if they have to take it in too much. BR suits fit me decently well, but I've only been able to find them in black and navy in my size. I've just always wanted a gray one! Maybe it isn't meant to be, haha. Looks great on you, though, @_Panacea_
Yes AT "vanity sizes" despite their claims. I have the same experience: 0 there, 4 pretty much everywhere else.I wouldn't order from Ann Taylor online unless you've worn clothes from there before. I'm a size 4 pretty much universally, but my suit from Ann Taylor is a size 0. Do you have enough time to exchange and tailor?
I was hoping this wasn't the case. I have a small frame 🙁
I do have time, but it's been hit-or-miss when I've gotten suits tailored in the past. The jacket will end up looking funny on me if they have to take it in too much. BR suits fit me decently well, but I've only been able to find them in black and navy in my size. I've just always wanted a gray one! Maybe it isn't meant to be, haha. Looks great on you, though, @_Panacea_
Thanks! And I really wanted a blue suit but couldn't find a good one haha Post a pic of whatever you choose 🙂
I would assume so but Im not petite so YMMV.Edit: Nvm, found the answer. Ugh, and 30% off. I got so excited.
NM: I see you edited your post
Did you try the different cuts available (i.e. curvy vs modem or whatever they're calling it now)?Yes I saw that too but when I tried the next size up it was just huge in all areas... I don't think theres really enough time to tailor and I'm really cashed out so I'll just have to deal with it :/
Edit- I may suck it up and go to a tailor, that article was really helpful!
Unfortunately, the curvy fit is only available online and since I was trading in my old suit for store credit I was limited to options in the store. I ended up sizing up which almost entirely fixes the whiskering problem! The tailoring of the waist isn't too pricey so it is definitely worth it. Thank you for pointing it out to me!Did you try the different cuts available (i.e. curvy vs modem or whatever they're calling it now)?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since wool is so prevalent in men's suiting, I thought that would be the go-to in women's too, but I quickly learned otherwise while browsing. Is there a particular fabric/blend that would be best? I plan to get some good tailoring, so I'd want the suit to be long-lasting. BR is looking like a good option right now. And do you all know if there are particularly large promotions at any of the retailers for Black Friday, or are the discounts pretty much the same year-round? Thanks in advance!
Since wool is so prevalent in men's suiting, I thought that would be the go-to in women's too, but I quickly learned otherwise while browsing. Is there a particular fabric/blend that would be best? I plan to get some good tailoring, so I'd want the suit to be long-lasting. BR is looking like a good option right now. And do you all know if there are particularly large promotions at any of the retailers for Black Friday, or are the discounts pretty much the same year-round? Thanks in advance!
I don't know about any Black Friday promotions, but The Limited frequently has great sales. I got my suit there during a 50% off entire store sale!
Wool is still the go-to for women's professional suits as well.Since wool is so prevalent in men's suiting, I thought that would be the go-to in women's too, but I quickly learned otherwise while browsing. Is there a particular fabric/blend that would be best? I plan to get some good tailoring, so I'd want the suit to be long-lasting. BR is looking like a good option right now. And do you all know if there are particularly large promotions at any of the retailers for Black Friday, or are the discounts pretty much the same year-round? Thanks in advance!
Despite what the manufacturers might want you to think, in our profession cotton sateen, stretch polyester or mid thigh length skirts are not what you want.
I find most of the mass market merchandisers have "sales" year around; I've not seen Black Friday sales that are any better than the typical 50% off you can find at other times.
Its ok for women to button both buttons.So what should I do if I've got a two-button suit jacket and it looks kinda stupid to only button the top button? The top button is kinda high so you can see my shirt sticking out under the top button and above my skirt.
Girls, I'm at our teeth people's annual conference...
Spelling apropos 😉
Well, finally finished my interview suit from some subtle pinstriped fabric I got years ago during a study abroad in London. Took a lot longer than I anticipated (about 6 weeks). Had to wear an older suit for my first 3 interviews, as I didn't have this one done yet.
Looks shiny in the picture due to lighting, but I was really happy with how the fitting turned out, even though my fingers still hurt from all the hand sewing. It has a very fancy lining that nobody sees, but makes me feel nice. Not really a traditional cut, but I have received a lot of comments about it.
Looks shiny in the picture due to lighting, but I was really happy with how the fitting turned out, even though my fingers still hurt from all the hand sewing. It has a very fancy lining that nobody sees, but makes me feel nice. Not really a traditional cut, but I have received a lot of comments about it.
Last edited:
Well, finally finished my interview suit from some subtle pinstriped fabric I got years ago during a study abroad in London. Took a lot longer than I anticipated (about 6 weeks). Had to wear an older suit for my first 3 interviews, as I didn't have this one done yet.
Looks shiny in the picture due to lighting, but I was really happy with how the fitting turned out, even though my fingers still hurt from all the hand sewing. It has a very fancy lining that nobody sees, but makes me feel nice. Not really a traditional cut, but I have received a lot of comments about it.
View attachment 197620
That is one bold choice.
Yes, most women interviewers comment that I don't look like I'm at a funeral.That is one bold choice.
I'm am very shy, so being bold with my wardrobe is my outlet.
I do look different than my fellow female interviewers,
but I do get to talk about working with my hands!!
I've been told interviews are not about show and tell, but I do show and tell, as this is my passion outside of science.
Well, finally finished my interview suit from some subtle pinstriped fabric I got years ago during a study abroad in London. Took a lot longer than I anticipated (about 6 weeks). Had to wear an older suit for my first 3 interviews, as I didn't have this one done yet.
Looks shiny in the picture due to lighting, but I was really happy with how the fitting turned out, even though my fingers still hurt from all the hand sewing. It has a very fancy lining that nobody sees, but makes me feel nice. Not really a traditional cut, but I have received a lot of comments about it.
View attachment 197620
I feel like this is something a ninja would wear to an interview.
Also, amazing sewing job! It definitely looks professionally made.
Yes, most women interviewers comment that I don't look like I'm at a funeral.
I'm am very shy, so being bold with my wardrobe is my outlet.
I do look different than my fellow female interviewers,
but I do get to talk about working with my hands!!
I've been told interviews are not about show and tell, but I do show and tell, as this is my passion outside of science.
No way I could pull that off in an interview, so kudos to you.
Too funny, ninja pre-med. This made my day. Many thanks.I feel like this is something a ninja would wear to an interview.
Also, amazing sewing job! It definitely looks professionally made.
Can someone tell me the protocol about what type of blouses/shirts are acceptable for women? Is it ok to wear a sleeveless or short sleeve blouse? I don't plan to take off my jacket and you can't tell it's short sleeve with my coat on. I'm just wondering if I can avoid the regular button up collared shirt cause those are extremely uncomfortable for me.
Try the skirt with control top hose. It might make enough of a difference to make the skirt fit properly if it's just a tad snug.Help! So I tried on my only suit and....it's a bit snug...in the skirt. It really accentuates my..derrière.
What should I do? I can't buy a new skirt because it would be mismatched. Do I buy a whole new suit or go for a run? lol
It's less noticeable when wearing the jacket since it's partially covered. So as long as I'm wearing the suit jacket then it should be fine...right?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you never take off your jacket (there's really no reason to anyways) then I think a sleeveless blouse is just fine. If you dislike button-downs, a shell is a great choice. It also looks streamlined/tidy with your suit. And they're almost always sleeveless! Just keep your jacket on.Can someone tell me the protocol about what type of blouses/shirts are acceptable for women? Is it ok to wear a sleeveless or short sleeve blouse? I don't plan to take off my jacket and you can't tell it's short sleeve with my coat on. I'm just wondering if I can avoid the regular button up collared shirt cause those are extremely uncomfortable for me.
Hey guys, long time lurker, I've read every post from 2015 (I don't think I can do all 85 pages). Does this suit look formal enough?
https://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/tall/suiting/PRD~C2191/C2191.jsp
https://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/tall/suiting/PRDOVR~E0544/E0544.jsp
In the heather flannel? I was thinking like a jade/emerald/dark greeny-teal-color-family shell? Looking at ebay pictures on real people it looks to be a medium to dark gray. Is one button a no go? Also if the pants are unlined I should wear pantyhose under right?
I've been looking for a charcoal suit but I'm 5'10" with linebacker shoulders and it's not looking like I can buy a suit in stores regardless of color. My skin tone looks a lot better in gray than black, but there don't appear to be any wool charcoal women's suits with tall sizing within my budget. Unless somebody knows of any? I already tried pendletons but they only have hip/waist/bust measurements online and when I called and asked about shoulder and inseam they were really confused what I even wanted to know. Also they're pretty expensive. I know I'm overthinking but if imma spend this much on fanciness I want it to look good.
https://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/tall/suiting/PRD~C2191/C2191.jsp
https://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/tall/suiting/PRDOVR~E0544/E0544.jsp
In the heather flannel? I was thinking like a jade/emerald/dark greeny-teal-color-family shell? Looking at ebay pictures on real people it looks to be a medium to dark gray. Is one button a no go? Also if the pants are unlined I should wear pantyhose under right?
I've been looking for a charcoal suit but I'm 5'10" with linebacker shoulders and it's not looking like I can buy a suit in stores regardless of color. My skin tone looks a lot better in gray than black, but there don't appear to be any wool charcoal women's suits with tall sizing within my budget. Unless somebody knows of any? I already tried pendletons but they only have hip/waist/bust measurements online and when I called and asked about shoulder and inseam they were really confused what I even wanted to know. Also they're pretty expensive. I know I'm overthinking but if imma spend this much on fanciness I want it to look good.
@Avicularia , I've been wearing a very similar J. Crew suit in heather flannel (and with a teal top on some days!), and it has been working well for me. 🙂 It's definitely a dark enough gray, and a one-button suit is perfectly acceptable. I personally think you're fine with just trouser socks under the pants (unless you want the extra warmth for the upcoming winter interviews) - at least that's what I have been doing. But I'll of course defer to whatever you hear from the experts! 😉
I thought of you all this week... I was shadowing an internal med doc and I saw very, very many residents that would not pass this thread's dress code! Lots of very short skirts! 😵