Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah you're right 🙁 I'm going to go to the mall now and try some stuff on and see how it works.

Walking and running aren't a problem, I just can't put so much weight on the front of my foot.
You sound like me... I am going to get through interview season wearing heels and schedule bunion surgery if I get an acceptance
 
OK so I just discovered this thread. Hi Ladies! I have a few interviews coming up very soon and I need some of your wisdom. I bought a lovely Nordstrom Classiques Entier skirt suit in Navy. I am wearing black heels and black leather handbag. The question I have after reading through this thread is... people seem to be VERY anti white button-front blouse with a black or navy suit. I bought a really nice looking, well fitting one of those from Nordstrom as well. Is this like really a big no-no? Below is the suit:

'Chiara' Wool Suiting Skirt
'Chiara' One-Button Wool Suiting Jacket
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The question I have after reading through this thread is... people seem to be VERY anti white button-front blouse with a black or navy suit. I bought a really nice looking, well fitting one of those from Nordstrom as well. Is this like really a big no-no? Below is the suit:

'Chiara' Wool Suiting Skirt
'Chiara' One-Button Wool Suiting Jacket
If the shirt fits you well, doesn't gape and the collar lays neatly, you are fine.
The real problem for many women is "gaposis."
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Quick makeup question - I'm having trouble finding a tinted moisturizer without "illuminating" effects - AKA glitter or shimmer in it. I'm lucky enough to have clear skin, so I don't actually use foundation but I do use a tinted moisturizer on special occasions to minimize how pink my cheeks are. Any suggestions?
 
Quick makeup question - I'm having trouble finding a tinted moisturizer without "illuminating" effects - AKA glitter or shimmer in it. I'm lucky enough to have clear skin, so I don't actually use foundation but I do use a tinted moisturizer on special occasions to minimize how pink my cheeks are. Any suggestions?



Miracle skin transformer. My favorite
 
Sorry if this has already been asked, but what about personal jewelry? Specifically, a plain silver band on my left index finger that was given to me by my grandfather (who raised me and who shortly thereafter passed.)
 
Sorry if this has already been asked, but what about personal jewelry? Specifically, a plain silver band on my left index finger that was given to me by my grandfather (who raised me and who shortly thereafter passed.)
Traditionally the rules were only "engagement/wedding rings" but that was assuming the other options were gaudy.

If its a simple band and you aren't loaded down with other jewelry, its fine.
 
And in the light foundation category, urban decay naked skin is fantastical
Thank you so much!! I am a huge fan of Urban Decay. I have another brand BB cream that I wore today for an outing and I realized I was covered in sparkles, so I'm definitely going to have to check out some new options.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick makeup question - I'm having trouble finding a tinted moisturizer without "illuminating" effects - AKA glitter or shimmer in it. I'm lucky enough to have clear skin, so I don't actually use foundation but I do use a tinted moisturizer on special occasions to minimize how pink my cheeks are. Any suggestions?
How about a BB or CC cream?

While @fancymylotus recommendations are nice they are pricey. Consider Revlon Photoready line or Loreal Magic Effects; much more student budget friendly.
 
Ah...well that was based on you being female.

As you know, men don't often wear rings especially on fingers other than their left 4th. This may create a few more raised eyebrows than a woman wearing the same.
Totally understand, I'll pocket the ring for a day. Thanks!
 
How about a BB or CC cream?

While @fancymylotus recommendations are nice they are pricey. Consider Revlon Photoready line or Loreal Magic Effects; much more student budget friendly.

I do have a BB cream that's a bit more glittery than I like, but I'll definitely check out some others! I don't want to be the girl with the glittery face, lol 😛
 
Hello ladies,

I have not read the last couple of pages, so I apologize for repeating this question:

What is ya'll opinion on dresses with their small suit-jacket on top?? Im not sure how else to describe them >.<

I truly love that style and would be more comfortable in one than a suit. Of course I would wear pantihoes underneath. Thanks for the help!!!
 
BTW, for anyone who is considering a button front blouse Ann Taylor is having 60% off tonight until tomorrow and there are lots of these on sale under "Fall Styles".

Nooooo is it 60% off everything?? I just bought that $150 dress there two nights ago. Dang it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello ladies,

I have not read the last couple of pages, so I apologize for repeating this question:

What is ya'll opinion on dresses with their small suit-jacket on top?? Im not sure how else to describe them >.<

I truly love that style and would be more comfortable in one than a suit. Of course I would wear pantihoes underneath. Thanks for the help!!!
You mean like this?: http://shop.nordstrom.com/o/michael...ualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=2160 (note not exactly THIS, but rather a sheath dress with matching jacket)

We love 'em.

I like this one too (but not for interview)!
 
Would a dress like this be appropriate with short closed toed heels, pantyhose, and a blazer:

http://www.dillards.com/product/Tak...acetCache=pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&orderBy=1

The dress would be long on me since I am four feet and ten inches. But assuming it is not too short when I sit down or anything, is a dress similar to this okay as long as a blazer is worn? Because when I go shopping I think I am going to try to search for a dress like this with a blazer. If I get a plain black dress, I will not get a plain black blazer as a side note (probably a grayish/black one) since I do not want to look like I am attending a funeral.

Thanks for the input
 
Would a dress like this be appropriate with short closed toed heels, pantyhose, and a blazer:

http://www.dillards.com/product/Tak...acetCache=pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&orderBy=1

The dress would be long on me since I am four feet and ten inches. But assuming it is not too short when I sit down or anything, is a dress similar to this okay as long as a blazer is worn? Because when I go shopping I think I am going to try to search for a dress like this with a blazer. If I get a plain black dress, I will not get a plain black blazer as a side note (probably a grayish/black one) since I do not want to look like I am attending a funeral.

Thanks for the input
My concern is the spandex; these have a tendency to be too form fitting for a professional interview.
 
My concern is the spandex; these have a tendency to be too form fitting for a professional interview.
I have not tried it on specifically. I would look for something that looks along those lines but I would make sure it was not super tight like a "clubbing" dress before I got it. As long as the dress was not too tight/short when I tried it on, do you think something along this line would work with a blazer/heels/panty hose and a portfolio or nice bag?

http://www.hm.com/us/product/82224?article=82224-A#article=82224-A

This is also something similar to what I am looking at with a blazer as long as it fits well and is not too tight or anything. The back looks like it might be slightly open but it would be covered with a blazer I buy so I do not think the slightly open back is a big deal.
 
I have not tried it on specifically. I would look for something that looks along those lines but I would make sure it was not super tight like a "clubbing" dress before I got it. As long as the dress was not too tight/short when I tried it on, do you think something along this line would work with a blazer/heels/panty hose and a portfolio or nice bag?

http://www.hm.com/us/product/82224?article=82224-A#article=82224-A

This is also something similar to what I am looking at with a blazer as long as it fits well and is not too tight or anything. The back looks like it might be slightly open but it would be covered with a blazer I buy so I do not think the slightly open back is a big deal.
Yes as long as its not too form fitting, the sheath style of dress is fine. A little spandex is ok, it will help it hold its shape. It can be difficult to match colors and fabrics so I would look for a matched set; it doesn't have to be black. A navy or charcoal are nice as well.
 
Hey all, I have an interview coming up next week and just realized that I need to leave my luggage at the school during interview. Originally, I was planning on bringing a red and black Nike gym bag for my non-interview stuff. Would it be worth it to hunt down a small luggage set instead since my interviewers will probably see my second bag? [emoji28]
 
Hey guys - any opinions on whether or not the blouse under the blazer should be short sleeved or long? Or does it not matter?
 
My concern is the spandex; these have a tendency to be too form fitting for a professional interview.

Too tight can be a problem. Also, for interview wear, I'm not wild about the 'exposed zipper' styling as it reads casual.

Hey all, I have an interview coming up next week and just realized that I need to leave my luggage at the school during interview. Originally, I was planning on bringing a red and black Nike gym bag for my non-interview stuff. Would it be worth it to hunt down a small luggage set instead since my interviewers will probably see my second bag? [emoji28]

You will not be judged on your luggage unless it's truly horrible (Hello Kitty, super grunge) That said, decent-looking luggage is not very expensive and will protect your suit far better than a worn-out duffle.

But assuming it is not too short when I sit down or anything, is a dress similar to this okay as long as a blazer is worn? Because when I go shopping I think I am going to try to search for a dress like this with a blazer. If I get a plain black dress, I will not get a plain black blazer as a side note (probably a grayish/black one) since I do not want to look like I am attending a funeral.

  1. The BEST look is a dress and jacket in the same fabric, so a 'dress suit'.
  2. Second best is a dress with a complementary jacket in a different color, but ONLY if you also have something that ties the dress and jacket together -- like a scarf. This is NOT a look for the fashion novice to try to pull off without help.
 
Would this Fossil satchel be too casual? Also, I have a zip-up portfolio that would not fit in most handbags that aren't the size of beach totes. Is it fine to bring both a bag and a portfolio?
 
Okay!!! It took a lot of heartache, but I think I've finally got it all together. My first interviews are at the end of September, so I still have time to change things up if need be.

The blouse I have is this color:
E1212_PK5352_sw
. It looks fantastic with my skin-tone and works well with my navy suit and little gold studs. Finally feel like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders! Of course, knowing me, I'll keep looking for the elusive perfect blouse, but at least I've got one that works well in the meantime.
 
So I bought my interview suit and I noticed that a lot of the pants are not skinnier at the bottom - is this considered too trendy? When I say skinny, I don't mean super fitted but just not really bootcut. I still think I look very professional with my silk blouse, blazer, and low black leather pointy toed heel.

http://www.theory.com/TREECA-CL/F07..._F0704212_color=001&start=9&cgid=womens-pants - I swear they are not as fitted on me, although not loose either.
 
So I bought my interview suit and I noticed that a lot of the pants are not skinnier at the bottom - is this considered too trendy? When I say skinny, I don't mean super fitted but just not really bootcut. I still think I look very professional with my silk blouse, blazer, and low black leather pointy toed heel.

http://www.theory.com/TREECA-CL/F07..._F0704212_color=001&start=9&cgid=womens-pants - I swear they are not as fitted on me, although not loose either.
They are a bit too form fitting on the model. I don't think they skinny leg opening is the issue, but the crop is, as is how tight they are through the thighs, etc.
 
They are a bit too form fitting on the model. I don't think they skinny leg opening is the issue, but the crop is, as is how tight they are through the thighs, etc.

Thanks Starlite for your input, I really appreciate it! - the thing is I am not the model, so I am much shorter - i.e. they don't appear cropped like that (covers my ankle completely) and like I said, definitely not fitted like that in the thights/butt (I would NEVER have bought this otherwise haha). I suppose I could post a picture of me in them
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I bought my interview suit and I noticed that a lot of the pants are not skinnier at the bottom - is this considered too trendy? When I say skinny, I don't mean super fitted but just not really bootcut. I still think I look very professional with my silk blouse, blazer, and low black leather pointy toed heel.

I'm confused by the question - are you asking if "straight leg" or wider are trendy or if "skinny" is?

Proper work trousers are, at their narrowest, a straight leg or wider.

http://www.theory.com/TREECA-CL/F07..._F0704212_color=001&start=9&cgid=womens-pants - I swear they are not as fitted on me, although not loose either.

Like you said, you're not a model so helpfully they're wider, looser, longer and less form fitting on you. Proper interview trousers should look like/fit like these.
 
@starlite911 @Winged Scapula - thank you so much! You both have scared me enough that I am going to run out and find a pencil skirt (much harder I think to mess that one up or go with anything too trendy). better safe than sorry!