Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys I just wanted to thank you for all your help. First interview today. I had that one day to shop, like I said, so I spent more than I wanted but I have an outfit that I think will last me for at least a decade: navy blue skirt suit, cordovan shoes and bag, uhhhhh "plus size" studs, neutral nylons. I even did a last minute half up style.

Pluuuuuus, lucky underpants. And Doug Loves Movies playing, for moral courage.

This has been fun. Thanks for being such a supportive group! You guys rule.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys I just wanted to thank you for all your help. First interview today. I had that one day to shop, like I said, so I spent more than I wanted but I have an outfit that I think will last me for at least a decade: navy blue skirt suit, cordovan shoes and bag, uhhhhh "plus size" studs, neutral nylons. I even did a last minute half up style.

Pluuuuuus, lucky underpants. And Doug Loves Movies playing, for moral courage.

This has been fun. Thanks for being such a supportive group! You guys rule.
Hmmm...I'll take that "last a decade" bet on the nylons :p

Joking aside, though, that sounds nice!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
With the rolled up sleeves and no button, that looks a bit informal to me. Are matching pants even available?
I forgot to add I'd roll down the sleeves. Hmm is it necessary to buy everything in a set? Mine looks similar to that blazer except it's black so I figured I'd just by black pants or a black skirt to go with it. Thank you for your input!

Buttoned when standing/walking, unbuttoned when sitting. Full length sleeves are a must.
Thank you!

I forgot to add I'd roll down the sleeves. Hmm is it necessary to buy everything in a set? Mine looks similar to that blazer except it's black so I figured I'd just by black pants or a black skirt to go with it. Thank you for your input!

Just what I read on here, it is preferred that pants/skirts are the same material as a blazer.

Hi guys, I need some shoe advice. So I have super weird feet. I can't wear most heels, and my feet tend to slip right out of your basic flat, so I don't like to wear those either. Basically I am only able to wear sandals, boots, and gym shoes. Obviously none of those are appropriate for an interview. So I was looking at these Oxfords, and I was wondering how you guys think they'd look with a skirt suit (not really comfortable wearing pants). I think they'd definitely look a bit dorky but would they look unprofessional?
Untitled 2.png

Hi guys, I need some shoe advice. So I have super weird feet. I can't wear most heels, and my feet tend to slip right out of your basic flat, so I don't like to wear those either. Basically I am only able to wear sandals, boots, and gym shoes. Obviously none of those are appropriate for an interview. So I was looking at these Oxfords, and I was wondering how you guys think they'd look with a skirt suit (not really comfortable wearing pants). I think they'd definitely look a bit dorky but would they look unprofessional?View attachment 195858
I would definitely not wear those with a skirt. Pants you could possibly get away with it.

Yeah I figured. Crap. I don't know what I'm going to do.
What about some form of dress boot? Some of those can look professional/feminine, though not 'typical'. Some go nicely with skirts, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about some form of dress boot? Some of those can look professional/feminine, though not 'typical'. Some go nicely with skirts, too.

I'm not sure I know what would qualify as a dress boot. Do you have an example by any chance?

I'm not sure I know what would qualify as a dress boot. Do you have an example by any chance?
One that doesn't look like a workboot?
I don't know, depends on your outfit/preferences. Again, I don't know if any of these would fly...I wouldn't wear something nonstandard to an interview as much as I hate interview attire...but with no heels, no flats, no pants, no sandals-sneakers-workboots as a hard line... :shrug:

images
images
images
images
images

Reactions: 1 user
Another question. Sorry, I am super ignorant when it comes to business dress codes, I've never had to dress business professional before.
Would a dress be a total no-no? Like this dress, maybe with a blazer?
http://www.anntaylor.com/colorblock...Explode=false&catid=cata000013&priceSort=DESC
The blazer would have to be matched...fabric and color. That dress could make excellent business attire, but not interview attire. The last few pages have a lot of discussions of dresses, with pics, if that's what you're into!

One that doesn't look like a workboot?
I don't know, depends on your outfit/preferences. Again, I don't know if any of these would fly...I wouldn't wear something nonstandard to an interview as much as I hate interview attire...but with no heels, no flats, no pants, no sandals-sneakers-workboots as a hard line... :shrug:

Yeah I know, it really stinks :( What about this one? The heel would be horribly painful for me (I have like a bone deformity) but I'd rather be in pain then be constantly slipping out of my shoes, and I think the boot style would prevent that.

The blazer would have to be matched...fabric and color. That dress could make excellent business attire, but not interview attire. The last few pages have a lot of discussions of dresses, with pics, if that's what you're into!

Ah sorry I didn't see that, thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled 2.png
    Untitled 2.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 41
If you have a bone deformity in your feet, you'd be better off letting the shoes drive your outfit and wear a pants suit. Wearing a skirt suit calls for shoes that are appropriate to a dress or skirt, and that means heels. Sorry - not even dress boots. If your dress is floor-length as called for by your religious beliefs, you'd have more leeway. But orthopedic shoes are best dealt with by wearing a nice pantsuit, NOT by forcing nonconforming feet into painful and possibly damaging heels.

(Will you be able to do the walking needed to get through rounds? )

If you have a bone deformity in your feet, you'd be better off letting the shoes drive your outfit and wear a pants suit. Wearing a skirt suit calls for shoes that are appropriate to a dress or skirt, and that means heels. Sorry - not even dress boots. If your dress is floor-length as called for by your religious beliefs, you'd have more leeway. But orthopedic shoes are best dealt with by wearing a nice pantsuit, NOT by forcing nonconforming feet into painful and possibly damaging heels.

(Will you be able to do the walking needed to get through rounds? )

Yeah you're right :( I'm going to go to the mall now and try some stuff on and see how it works.

Walking and running aren't a problem, I just can't put so much weight on the front of my foot.

Yeah you're right :( I'm going to go to the mall now and try some stuff on and see how it works.

Walking and running aren't a problem, I just can't put so much weight on the front of my foot.
I'm sure you have considered this but have you gone to specialty shoe shops? I find almost invariably when someone tells me that they are oddly shaped/deformed etc. that means they just haven't found the right item in the standard strip mall stores which cater to the "average".

I'm sure you have considered this but have you gone to specialty shoe shops? I find almost invariably when someone tells me that they are oddly shaped/deformed etc. that means they just haven't found the right item in the standard strip mall stores which cater to the "average".

I haven't, tbh I didn't even know there was such a thing as a specialty shoe shop! I'll have to check that out in the future. But for now, I think I found a shoe that works! It's like a hybrid of a pump and a boot, I just spent like three hours walking around in them and they're probably as comfortable as it's gonna get. And if they're not professional enough...well that's too dang bad haha, I'm wearing them. And I got a dress too. I'd wear a black blazer over it. And obviously no hot pink nails and chunky watch lol.
Untitled 2.png
IMAG1906_1.jpg

I haven't, tbh I didn't even know there was such a thing as a specialty shoe shop! I'll have to check that out in the future. But for now, I think I found a shoe that works! It's like a hybrid of a pump and a boot, I just spent like three hours walking around in them and they're probably as comfortable as it's gonna get. And if they're not professional enough...well that's too dang bad haha, I'm wearing them. And I got a dress too. I'd wear a black blazer over it. And obviously no hot pink nails and chunky watch lol.
View attachment 195875 View attachment 195877
I thought those were bizarrely specific examples until I saw your pic!

Do the blazer and dress color/fabric match?

The color wouldn't, I know that everyone is saying it should but I asked the people at the store and they told me to wear a black blazer with it. So the black would match the shoes. Tbh I feel like a blue dress with the exact same color blazer would look super weird...maybe not to other people but I personally don't think I'd like how that would look. I dunno. I'll make sure the fabric matches. I left the blazer at home and I'm waiting for my mom to send it to me. If it isn't the same fabric I'll find one that is.

The color wouldn't, I know that everyone is saying it should but I asked the people at the store and they told me to wear a black blazer with it. So the black would match the shoes. Tbh I feel like a blue dress with the exact same color blazer would look super weird...maybe not to other people but I personally don't think I'd like how that would look. I dunno. I'll make sure the fabric matches. I left the blazer at home and I'm waiting for my mom to send it to me. If it isn't the same fabric I'll find one that is.
I think the dress is great but I would not wear a black blazer with it because it would be just a couple shades off. I know it seems weird to wear one color all over but according to what everyone is saying on here, that's a much more formal look

Was there a matching one at the store?

This is only a personal opinion, but if your dress is formal, solid, and modest, a contrasting blazer shouldn't be a problem. I'm very well versed in business professional gear and talk to professors on admissions, who all say they'd rather see a colored sheath and black blazer than a drone in a black or grey suit. Obviously, SDN disagrees, so I won't push the point, but I really think you're fine. It's a cute dress, and perfectly appropriate. Keep the jewelry limited, and a black handbag.

I think the dress is great but I would not wear a black blazer with it because it would be just a couple shades off. I know it seems weird to wear one color all over but according to what everyone is saying on here, that's a much more formal look

Was there a matching one at the store?

I'm glad you like the dress! I will have to go back to the store and see if there is one that matches. I don't think there was. I guess I can see how wearing all one color looks more formal, but it just seems like it'd be so aesthetically displeasing to me :p

This is only a personal opinion, but if your dress is formal, solid, and modest, a contrasting blazer shouldn't be a problem. I'm very well versed in business professional gear and talk to professors on admissions, who all say they'd rather see a colored sheath and black blazer than a drone in a black or grey suit. Obviously, SDN disagrees, so I won't push the point, but I really think you're fine. It's a cute dress, and perfectly appropriate. Keep the jewelry limited, and a black handbag.

Okay I'm glad you think it's okay to go with a black blazer! I feel like even if I do wear a black blazer and it doesn't look quite as formal as it would with a blue blazer, it's not like they're gonna be like "oh her blazer didn't match her dress, automatic reject". I think, like you said, the dress is appropriate, so it's not like I'll stand out in a bad way.

Would it be weird if I didn't wear any jewelry? The picture doesn't do it justice but I actually have super thin bony witch hands, I've never found a ring that fits me and bracelets slide right off and I lose them. I have my ears pierced, but I don't ever wear earrings and I only have a few little hoops, and I think someone said studs are more appropriate, which I don't have. My watch isn't fancy enough. I suppose I could wear a necklace, maybe pearls. And I wear glasses and I read somewhere to count glasses as jewelry haha.

Actually we don't. You're missing the point.

As this thread demonstrates, many medical school applicants have very little sense of style. They struggle with what fabric and cuts are appropriate, what matches and/or coordinates, what accessories to choose and how to present the most flattering, professional and confident facade. For many, its their first time wearing something other than a hoodie and jeans.

Thus the standard "uniform" is safe, comfortable and allows them to focus on themselves and their application. Just like in the men's interview clothing thread, our recommendations are meant to provide a foundation for those who really have no idea.

However (and here is where I think you're missing it), all of us who regularly give advice in here ( @gyngyn , @DokterMom ) have said previously that we would be thrilled to see someone in something other than a black suit with a white button front shirt, pearl studs and strand. We've even mentioned sheath dresses with blazers as wonderful; some chunky jewelry, a scarf etc -- IF you can pull it off.

So its not against the rules to wear a coordinating (as opposed to matching) outfit but it is less formal and it can take a sense of style and confidence to stand out that many applicants don't possess. An attractive candidate wearing a camel wool sheath with matching coat, tortoiseshell jewelry and a warm cognac bag and shoes with a strong application? That superstar will be remembered in a positive fashion; her style will enhance her application. What usually happens is the attractive candidate wearing a short red dress, with a tight black jacket and high platform pumps and possessing an average application. Her style detracts from her application and makes her "that girl".

Lastly, our concern is that an applicant who wears something considered inappropriate/ill-fitting/unfinished etc doesn't understand what passes for business professional in OUR world (or chooses to ignore it) and that opens you up to more criticism of your application. Hence, the "safe" recommendations.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm glad you like the dress! I will have to go back to the store and see if there is one that matches. I don't think there was. I guess I can see how wearing all one color looks more formal, but it just seems like it'd be so aesthetically displeasing to me :p

What material is the dress? It looks like a ponte.

Would it be weird if I didn't wear any jewelry? The picture doesn't do it justice but I actually have super thin bony witch hands, I've never found a ring that fits me and bracelets slide right off and I lose them. I have my ears pierced, but I don't ever wear earrings and I only have a few little hoops, and I think someone said studs are more appropriate, which I don't have. My watch isn't fancy enough. I suppose I could wear a necklace, maybe pearls. And I wear glasses and I read somewhere to count glasses as jewelry haha.

I think it looks unfinished. Small little hoops are fine. Pearls are safe but boring. Bracelets are distracting and to be avoided, IMHO (although I wear them nearly every day at work). Perhaps a small scarf or necklace that ties the color of the dress and jacket together?

Actually we don't. You're missing the point.

As this thread demonstrates, many medical school applicants have very little sense of style. They struggle with what fabric and cuts are appropriate, what matches and/or coordinates, what accessories to choose and how to present the most flattering, professional and confident facade. For many, its their first time wearing something other than a hoodie and jeans.

Thus the standard "uniform" is safe, comfortable and allows them to focus on themselves and their application. Just like in the men's interview clothing thread, our recommendations are meant to provide a foundation for those who really have no idea.

However (and here is where I think you're missing it), all of us who regularly give advice in here ( @gyngyn , @DokterMom ) have said previously that we would be thrilled to see someone in something other than a black suit with a white button front shirt, pearl studs and strand. We've even mentioned sheath dresses with blazers as wonderful; some chunky jewelry, a scarf etc -- IF you can pull it off.

So its not against the rules to wear a coordinating (as opposed to matching) outfit but it is less formal and it can take a sense of style and confidence to stand out that many applicants don't possess. An attractive candidate wearing a camel wool sheath with matching coat, tortoiseshell jewelry and a warm cognac bag and shoes with a strong application? That superstar will be remembered in a positive fashion; her style will enhance her application. What usually happens is the attractive candidate wearing a short red dress, with a tight black jacket and high platform pumps and possessing an average application. Her style detracts from her application and makes her "that girl".

Lastly, our concern is that an applicant who wears something considered inappropriate/ill-fitting/unfinished etc doesn't understand what passes for business professional in OUR world (or chooses to ignore it) and that opens you up to more criticism of your application. Hence, the "safe" recommendations.

This is a forum and we aren't really limited in the amount of advice we can dispense, so I don't subscribe to telling everyone that they shouldn't wear a sheath with a contrasting blazer. The applicant above has picked a dress of appropriate fabric, length, color, and shape, and she's going to be pairing it with a formal blazer. Sure, not everyone has a great sense of fashion, but this thread is about fixing that. We should be able to give recommendations that will create an outfit that's remembered in a positive way, and not just a safe way, because we're giving one on one recommendations. If this was a wiki page or an article, I'd be right there with you in giving the safest possible recommendation, but it's not, and I'm not going to discourage someone from wearing something they feel safe and confident in as long as it looks professional.

What material is the dress? It looks like a ponte.

I think it looks unfinished. Small little hoops are fine. Pearls are safe but boring. Bracelets are distracting and to be avoided, IMHO (although I wear them nearly every day at work). Perhaps a small scarf or necklace that ties the color of the dress and jacket together?

Sorry, what's a ponte? The label says 88% polyester, 12% spandex.

I see what you mean by unfinished. I always feel that way about my outfits but I just don't have much jewelry, but I can definitely buy some. I think I will wear small silver hoops and a silver necklace.

Sorry, what's a ponte? The label says 88% polyester, 12% spandex.

I see what you mean by unfinished. I always feel that way about my outfits but I just don't have much jewelry, but I can definitely buy some. I think I will wear small silver hoops and a silver necklace.

Ponte is a stretchy fabric. You'll want something that's not knit, except in some very specific cases of textured knit, which can wear quite nicely in a formal setting. If it's not too stretchy, it's not ponte.

This is a piece of personal advice for all professional settings not just med school/interviews...

Please do something about your nails! I was recently interviewed for a job and my interviewer had the most atrocious, jagged, broken, child-like nails! It was very off-putting and gave me such a strange impression because she was otherwise dressed professionally and looked very nice. They don't have to be long and beautiful, but they should at least be filed and clean! Seriously.

Ponte is a stretchy fabric. You'll want something that's not knit, except in some very specific cases of textured knit, which can wear quite nicely in a formal setting. If it's not too stretchy, it's not ponte.

Oh yeah it's super stretchy!

If this was a wiki page or an article, I'd be right there with you in giving the safest possible recommendation, but it's not, and I'm not going to discourage someone from wearing something they feel safe and confident in as long as it looks professional.
Sadly, I see dozens of candidates who open the door to speculation regarding their understanding of what it means to be a physician because they lack an understanding of what it means to dress for a professional interview. I see many women who apparently feel "safe" in clothing that is extremely inappropriate. Our work here is to provide feedback that will not harm anyone. I certainly do not purport to give style advice, rather to protect young people from easily avoided visual atrocities that they cannot see.

It is only after seeing many candidates with an otherwise impeccable application show up in outfits only appropriate for a completely different profession that I have felt the need to begin responding here.

Reactions: 3 users
Sadly, I see dozens of candidates who open the door to speculation regarding their understanding of what it means to be a physician because they lack an understanding of what it means to dress for a professional interview. I see many women who apparently feel "safe" in clothing that is extremely inappropriate. Our work here is to provide feedback that will not harm anyone. I certainly do not purport to give style advice, rather to protect young people from easily avoided visual atrocities that they cannot see.

That's a commendable point - most students don't understand what it means to dress professionally and harmless feedback is great. However, I've found that ascribing a set strict boundaries (black/grey/navy only with pearls and a colored shell) tends to discourage people from understanding and exploring dressing professionally. I don't claim to be a sartorial expert, but I want to help people reach an understanding of professionalism that makes shopping and building a business wardrobe an enjoyable task, not a multi-hour hunt for the most non-descript possible 2.5 inch black leather pumps with a heel that's not bigger than a quarter or smaller than a dime.

That's a commendable point - most students don't understand what it means to dress professionally and harmless feedback is great. However, I've found that ascribing a set strict boundaries (black/grey/navy only with pearls and a colored shell) tends to discourage people from understanding and exploring dressing professionally. I don't claim to be a sartorial expert, but I want to help people reach an understanding of professionalism that makes shopping and building a business wardrobe an enjoyable task, not a multi-hour hunt for the most non-descript possible 2.5 inch black leather pumps with a heel that's not bigger than a quarter or smaller than a dime.
For now, most of these applicants only need one good outfit, though!
They won't need another one until their ERAS photo. That's the egalitarian side of medicine...

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the issues here is that candidate after candidate seems to obsess about these details.

They've done that to themselves; SDN didn't do it, we didn't do it. They are somehow of the impression that deviating from the strict structure will mean a death knell to their application. This was not our intent nor is it accurate.

As @gyngyn notes, we've seen too many easily avoided atrocities (sometimes from the strongest academic applicants) and felt the need to help those that need it, to find a safe, comfortable medical professional outfit for the day. It is my sense that those who struggle are making it too hard; whether they find it enjoyable is an issue for another day.

Finally, if this thread is indicative of the current applicant pool, we will be seeing hoards of horribly disfigured young women limping their way through our offices on their weird feet, gesturing with their witch like hands, knocking things off our shelves with their immense childbearing hips and making babies drool with their excessively large bosoms. Ladies, as I've mentioned before, please stop describing yourselves as deformed or weird or odd, etc. You do not need to look like Gigi Hadad to be beautiful or even normal.

Reactions: 8 users
One of the issues here is that candidate after candidate seems to obsess about these details.

They've done that to themselves; SDN didn't do it, we didn't do it. They are somehow of the impression that deviating from the strict structure will mean a death knell to their application. This was not our intent nor is it accurate.

As @gyngyn notes, we've seen too many easily avoided atrocities (sometimes from the strongest academic applicants) and felt the need to help those that need it, to find a safe, comfortable medical professional outfit for the day. It is my sense that those who struggle are making it too hard; whether they find it enjoyable is an issue for another day.

Finally, if this thread is indicative of the current applicant pool, we will be seeing hoards of horribly disfigured young women limping their way through our offices on their weird feet, gesturing with their witch like hands, knocking things off our shelves with their immense childbearing hips and making babies drool with their excessively large bosoms. Ladies, as I've mentioned before, please stop describing yourselves as deformed or weird or odd, etc. You do not need to look like Gigi Hadad to be beautiful or even normal.

This made me laugh because I feel like so many people have commented on their "weird" feet. You're right. It's not your feet! Just need to find the right shoes.

Edit: Be nice to your feet... I am sure you all have lovely feet! :)

Hahaha hey, I happen to love the way I look, witch hands and deformed feet and all! Actually though, I really like my hands despite them being boney, and even though other people think my weird feet look creepy, "normal" feet really creep me out because I'm so used to mine.

Reactions: 4 users

When I asked about a suit jacket - long sleeved, black, wool, two button, and tailored - SDN took issue with the fact that it had peaked lapels and not notched lapels, because the former are less formal. Ignoring, of course, the fact that every formalwear guide and Saville row tailor will tell you that peaked lapels are more formal than notched. It's inaccurate to say the SDN doesn't obsess; it does, and it often does so incorrectly.

There's plenty of great advice dispensed, but there's plenty of advice that's only meant to sow doubt in minds. Take, for example, the button v stud debate a few pages ago. I can't find any reference outside SDN that distinguished the two, by definition or formality. Another example: pearls. These are recommended as the necklace to wear on this thread, even though their ivory tone means they shouldn't be worn with cool shades of navy or grey, nor with any jewel toned shell - pearls are appropriate on black, pale pink, pale blue, lavender, and most button ups, while gold is worn on burgundy, sapphire, beige, or emerald, and silver for navy, cool grey, and indigo. The point is, there's a range of acceptable options, and often, one person gives a recommendation for one scenario, and everyone else takes that as the word of law, confusing future posters into thinking they're doing something wrong.

This made me laugh because I feel like so many people have commented on their "weird" feet. You're right. It's not your feet! Just need to find the right shoes.

Edit: Be nice to your feet... I am sure you all have lovely feet! :)
I have small feet, and have neither the money nor the patience to look for the right heel. Also I hate heels anyway, so the incentives aren't so high. :p

ah the struggle of heels was real. I'm happy with my barely 1.5 inch heels!

I have small feet, and have neither the money nor the patience to look for the right heel. Also I hate heels anyway, so the incentives aren't so high. :p

I feel your pain on the money and patience part! I have wide feet. Finding good shoes may be necessary, but it certainly isn't fun!

I was also going to suggest a silk scarf to tie the dress and blazer together. Something with some of the dress' blue or a lighter tint of that same color family, and just a little black in a conservative pattern. That would solve finish off your outfit nicely and substitute for jewelry. Appropriate and memorable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lauren-Ralp...int-21-X-21-/271971393017?hash=item3f52c21df9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECHO-Blue-1...de-in-Japan-/331638783874?hash=item4d37363f82
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sty...Shawl-Stole-/130955541967?hash=item1e7d8efdcf

The trick to wearing a scarf is all in the attitude. Your attitude needs to be that whatever your scarf is doing at the moment is precisely what you want it to be doing. Remember that a heavier silk twill drapes much more elegantly than a lightweight polyester, and will 'stay in place' better. When wearing a scarf, DON'T FUSS with it. Remember, it's doing precisely what you want --

For your interview, you DON'T want the currently-popular all wrapped around the neck look like this: (though it's a cute daytime look)
9f706d8b560c4a4f62cc961ea0345acf.jpg

What you'd be aiming for is more like this:

1577833_fpx.tif
2504643_fpx.tif

Another example: pearls. These are recommended as the necklace to wear on this thread, even though their ivory tone means they shouldn't be worn with cool shades of navy or grey, nor with any jewel toned shell - pearls are appropriate on black, pale pink, pale blue, lavender, and most button ups, while gold is worn on burgundy, sapphire, beige, or emerald, and silver for navy, cool grey, and indigo. The point is, there's a range of acceptable options, and often, one person gives a recommendation for one scenario, and everyone else takes that as the word of law, confusing future posters into thinking they're doing something wrong.

Not all pearls are ivory-toned. While you wouldn't want to wear pink pearls for your interview, many are creamier with faintly blush overtones that work beautifully with gray or navy. Gray pearls can also be very professional, though can read 'older'. And I certainly wouldn't rule out gold on navy or gray.

I was also going to suggest a silk scarf to tie the dress and blazer together. Something with some of the dress' blue or a lighter tint of that same color family, and just a little black in a conservative pattern. That would solve finish off your outfit nicely and substitute for jewelry. Appropriate and memorable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lauren-Ralp...int-21-X-21-/271971393017?hash=item3f52c21df9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECHO-Blue-1...de-in-Japan-/331638783874?hash=item4d37363f82
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sty...Shawl-Stole-/130955541967?hash=item1e7d8efdcf

The trick to wearing a scarf is all in the attitude. Your attitude needs to be that whatever your scarf is doing at the moment is precisely what you want it to be doing. Remember that a heavier silk twill drapes much more elegantly than a lightweight polyester, and will 'stay in place' better. When wearing a scarf, DON'T FUSS with it. Remember, it's doing precisely what you want --

I've actually never worn a scarf before, because I'm not a huge fan of them. Do you think it would be a bad idea to wear one since I'm not at all used to wearing one?

I've actually never worn a scarf before, because I'm not a huge fan of them. Do you think it would be a bad idea to wear one since I'm not at all used to wearing one?

Why not try it on / try it out? You'll need something to tie the dress and blazer together, and a scarf would do that beautifully, plus provide a 'brightener' that is appropriate and conservative. The alternative is a necklace that is large enough to be seen but not super chunky.

An interesting brooch could also work, but that would be tough to find and easy to go wrong on.