Women's Interview Clothing

Started by deeproots
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am in need of some advice on wearing a fuschia/pink suit to an interview or simply talking me out of buying one. I recently found one at a local boutique. It is definitely me, looks great with my skin and hair color and I want to change up wearing my charcoal suit. Would a fuschia/pink skirt suit be appropriate for a medical school interview?
 
Hello, I am in need of some advice on wearing a fuschia/pink suit to an interview or simply talking me out of buying one. I recently found one at a local boutique. It is definitely me, looks great with my skin and hair color and I want to change up wearing my charcoal suit. Would a fuschia/pink skirt suit be appropriate for a medical school interview?
Nopenopenopenopenope
 
At my interview on Tuesday, the Dean of Students made two jokes about all of us getting the memo to wear our dark suits.
I'm not saying hot pink is a good idea, but it might not hurt to tastefully stand apart.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you all for your honest opinions. Well, I guess no pink suit for me. Sigh. It's real hard to go from wearing bright color suits during my pageant years to wearing dark colors. I'll look for a nice shell that will bring just a pop of color though. Thanks again!
 
Hello, I am in need of some advice on wearing a fuschia/pink suit to an interview or simply talking me out of buying one. I recently found one at a local boutique. It is definitely me, looks great with my skin and hair color and I want to change up wearing my charcoal suit. Would a fuschia/pink skirt suit be appropriate for a medical school interview?

I have a fuchsia suit that I just love! I wear it to have lunch with my girlfriends and would wear it to work if there were a Susan Koman fundraiser that evening.

But not for an interview. Never for an interview.
 
Thank you all for your honest opinions. Well, I guess no pink suit for me. Sigh. It's real hard to go from wearing bright color suits during my pageant years to wearing dark colors. I'll look for a nice shell that will bring just a pop of color though. Thanks again!
I only have one thing to add to the excellent advise above. I am going to make the assumption that as a former "pageant girl" you are attractive. Unfortunately, there are still people who believe attractive women are flighty and perhaps even unintelligent; women who use their looks to get ahead. The last thing you want to do is to wear a pink suit and have them think you are unable to follow "the rules" or to look less than professional or serious. They will already be on guard for such things if you are more than average attractiveness.

I'm sure the suit looks lovely on you (bright colors look better on me as well) but this is not the time or place for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only have one thing to add to the excellent advise above. I am going to make the assumption that as a former "pageant girl" you are attractive. Unfortunately, there are still people who believe attractive women are flighty and perhaps even unintelligent; women who use their looks to get ahead. The last thing you want to do is to wear a pink suit and have them think you are unable to follow "the rules" or to look less than professional or serious. They will already be on guard for such things if you are more than average attractiveness.

I'm sure the suit looks lovely on you (bright colors look better on me as well) but this is not the time or place for it.

So true. One of my childhood friends was first runner up to Miss [BigState] She was also brilliant, a nationally-ranked athlete and a very hard-working and clear-headed person. Some folks simply win the genetic lottery. But yeah, she did sometimes encounter a certain presumption that there were pretty pink bubbles where her brain should be...
 
I only have one thing to add to the excellent advise above. I am going to make the assumption that as a former "pageant girl" you are attractive. Unfortunately, there are still people who believe attractive women are flighty and perhaps even unintelligent; women who use their looks to get ahead. The last thing you want to do is to wear a pink suit and have them think you are unable to follow "the rules" or to look less than professional or serious. They will already be on guard for such things if you are more than average attractiveness.

I'm sure the suit looks lovely on you (bright colors look better on me as well) but this is not the time or place for it.
I was a moderately successful model but I gave it up because of a lack of interest in entertainment industry in general. Throughout my scientific career, people would always try to convince me that I should be a model (without knowing that I was one) or an actress and a few times people would bluntly say or hint that my look was the reason that I manage to be where I was. Even though I've passed the golden age for being a model, when I interview, I tune it down with a pair of very conservative and modest glasses.
 
I was a moderately successful model but I gave it up because of a lack of interest in entertainment industry in general. Throughout my scientific career, people would always try to convince me that I should be a model (without knowing that I was one) or an actress and a few times people would bluntly say or hint that my look was the reason that I manage to be where I was.

That has been my experience as well which is why I noted that some people are unable to see that "winning the genetic lottery" as @DokterMom notes, is a reality for some of us.
 
I think the Michael Kors bag is gorgeous (and something I've been eyeing for a while in that style!) - the sides sticking out shouldn't be a problem since it seems very structured
 
Thanks for the shoe tips!

Finally found a top that is a good color on me, but in wondering if it looks appropriate with my suit jacket. I'm planning on wearing a tank underneath to prevent any inadvertent peep-shows, and the jacket still needs to be tailored. Disregard the obnoxious mismatched phone case 😉 and selfie.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1416419607.844375.jpg
 
Greetings. I'm the sister of Great White Buffalo, and I just took my MCAT, plan on applying next cycle. I have a B.S. in physiology and currently am spending my gap year doing research and working as an E.R. Scribe.

I cook and sew as my hobbies (my mom says I was born a few generations too late to be a Home Economics Teacher - - not really sure what that even was without a Google search). I plan on making my Personal Statement mesh with the ability to work well with my hands and wanting to use that skill in medicine.

Anyway, I have some special pinstripe light wool fabric I obtained while at a study abroad, and I want to make a pant suit for interviews to show off my actual skills. (I've made suits, costumes and jackets before, so this is not out of my skill range). I looking for advice on some jackets.

I have two patterns below that I'm trying to choose from. THe keyhole jacket rocks, but not sure with a pinstripe pattern. I love the other jacket with the belt option - the short style (found a belt attachment online that looks like the picture). Let me know if you have any thoughts. THanks!!
 

Attachments

  • Jacket1.jpg
    Jacket1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Burda.jpg
    Burda.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: FFH
Greetings. I'm the sister of Great White Buffalo, and I just took my MCAT, plan on applying next cycle. I have a B.S. in physiology and currently am spending my gap year doing research and working as an E.R. Scribe.

I cook and sew as my hobbies (my mom says I was born a few generations too late to be a Home Economics Teacher - - not really sure what that even was without a Google search). I plan on making my Personal Statement mesh with the ability to work well with my hands and wanting to use that skill in medicine.

Anyway, I have some special pinstripe light wool fabric I obtained while at a study abroad, and I want to make a pant suit for interviews to show off my actual skills. (I've made suits, costumes and jackets before, so this is not out of my skill range). I looking for advice on some jackets.

I have two patterns below that I'm trying to choose from. THe keyhole jacket rocks, but not sure with a pinstripe pattern. I love the other jacket with the belt option (found a belt attachment online that looks like the picture). Let me know if you have any thoughts. THanks!!

First of all, welcome to SDN! I got into your brother's school and maybe see you there in a year when you apply?

I love that you are so skilled with your hands. I took think you might make an excellent home economic teacher. I do a bit sewing too, actually that's what I put down on my UMMS application "design and sew my own dresses" but I can only do the simple ones. Never suits!

I think both jackets are on the casual side. The second one looks a bit more formal but may not work if you have to interview early in the season when it's super hot outside.
 
First of all, welcome to SDN! I got into your brother's school and maybe see you there in a year when you apply?

I love that you are so skilled with your hands. I took think you might make an excellent home economic teacher. I do a bit sewing too, actually that's what I put down on my UMMS application "design and sew my own dresses" but I can only do the simple ones. Never suits!

I think both jackets are on the casual side. The second one looks a bit more formal but may not work if you have to interview early in the season when it's super hot outside.

You think the second one is too informal in a dark pinstripe? Will be wearing trousers of the same fabric. The fabric is a nice light weight dark blue pinstripe I got in London (cost a fortune, but I couldn't resist). It won't be a heavy, hot suit, but will be lined. Only need to wear a light shell under, as it doesn't show. Hmm, may need to rethink this, but I HATE the bland jackets that are in my Mom's closet.

Yes, I can see from the history you use to be female friendly house something. Hope you come to Ann Arbor, though we got a bit of the white stuff coming down today. Makes it look pretty out, even under the gray sky.
 
You think the second one is too informal in a dark pinstripe? Will be wearing trousers of the same fabric. The fabric is a nice light weight dark blue pinstripe I got in London (cost a fortune, but I couldn't resist). It won't be a heavy, hot suit, but will be lined. Only need to wear a light shell under, as it doesn't show. Hmm, may need to rethink this, but I HATE the bland jackets that are in my Mom's closet.

Yes, I can see from the history you use to be female friendly house something. Hope you come to Ann Arbor, though we got a bit of the white stuff coming down today. Makes it look pretty out, even under the gray sky.

Welcome BuffaloSister! I really like the second jacket, but frankly, couldn't see it in a pinstripe. A pinstripe is such a traditional fabric that a nontraditional cut like that (well, those) might become something of a fashion oxymoron. (FYI, I did the exact same thing as you while working in London, only my fabric was a fabulous silver-grey herringbone.) Also, do be coldly realistic about your tailoring skills and leave yourself more than enough time. Suit shoulders and collars are quite difficult to do well and don't look wonderful if done even slightly less well. For suiting, interfacing is your friend.
 
Welcome BuffaloSister! I really like the second jacket, but frankly, couldn't see it in a pinstripe. A pinstripe is such a traditional fabric that a nontraditional cut like that (well, those) might become something of a fashion oxymoron. (FYI, I did the exact same thing as you while working in London, only my fabric was a fabulous silver-grey herringbone.) Also, do be coldly realistic about your tailoring skills and leave yourself more than enough time. Suit shoulders and collars are quite difficult to do well and don't look wonderful if done even slightly less well. For suiting, interfacing is your friend.

Thank you Dokter Mom. Based upon your inputs, I'll may go back to the store and look at other patterns. I'm very petite, so I can't go with really busy patterns, but boxy shapes do me no favors either. I may need to rethink this. I picked the patterns as there aren't a lot of seams that break up the pinstripe in the front/back (some patterns have a lot seams that really don't go well with a dark pinstripe). The pinstripe is a dark blue matte with a dark blue sheen (not the traditional white pinstripe with blue). I think of it as pinstripe, as I need to be very careful to match up the pattern, but the pattern is very subtle to the eye.

I'm thinking about starting the project ver the upcoming holidays, after I get my MCAT score in Dec. THen, I'll have almost 8 months to work on it (which should be plenty of time, as I have the space in the basement to spread it out).

I will invest in more good interfacing, as I agree, it can be your best friend to get the right weight/right stiffness to go with the pattern. I also use really good thread, as I have a Bernina, which almost requires that fancy German thread, and the Bernina Rep told me I could ruin the machine if it don't use the good thread. I'm also splurging on really cool lining, which no one sees, but I'll know it is there.

Thinking and planning this is taking my mind off my Nov 7 MCAT.
 
Thank you Dokter Mom. Based upon your inputs, I'll may go back to the store and look at other patterns. I'm very petite, so I can't go with really busy patterns, but boxy shapes do me no favors either. I may need to rethink this. I picked the patterns as there aren't a lot of seams that break up the pinstripe in the front/back (some patterns have a lot seams that really don't go well with a dark pinstripe). The pinstripe is a dark blue matte with a dark blue sheen (not the traditional white pinstripe with blue). I think of it as pinstripe, as I need to be very careful to match up the pattern, but the pattern is very subtle to the eye.

I'm thinking about starting the project ver the upcoming holidays, after I get my MCAT score in Dec. THen, I'll have almost 8 months to work on it (which should be plenty of time, as I have the space in the basement to spread it out).

I will invest in more good interfacing, as I agree, it can be your best friend to get the right weight/right stiffness to go with the pattern. I also use really good thread, as I have a Bernina, which almost requires that fancy German thread, and the Bernina Rep told me I could ruin the machine if it don't use the good thread. I'm also splurging on really cool lining, which no one sees, but I'll know it is there.

Thinking and planning this is taking my mind off my Nov 7 MCAT.

I'd love a good Bernina! (Grew up on one) But don't sew enough any more to justify the expense. Settled for a vintage Viking instead, which works like a charm. Now all I need is the time.
 
Thank you Dokter Mom. Based upon your inputs, I'll may go back to the store and look at other patterns. I'm very petite, so I can't go with really busy patterns, but boxy shapes do me no favors either. I may need to rethink this. I picked the patterns as there aren't a lot of seams that break up the pinstripe in the front/back (some patterns have a lot seams that really don't go well with a dark pinstripe). The pinstripe is a dark blue matte with a dark blue sheen (not the traditional white pinstripe with blue). I think of it as pinstripe, as I need to be very careful to match up the pattern, but the pattern is very subtle to the eye.

I'm thinking about starting the project ver the upcoming holidays, after I get my MCAT score in Dec. THen, I'll have almost 8 months to work on it (which should be plenty of time, as I have the space in the basement to spread it out).

I will invest in more good interfacing, as I agree, it can be your best friend to get the right weight/right stiffness to go with the pattern. I also use really good thread, as I have a Bernina, which almost requires that fancy German thread, and the Bernina Rep told me I could ruin the machine if it don't use the good thread. I'm also splurging on really cool lining, which no one sees, but I'll know it is there.

Thinking and planning this is taking my mind off my Nov 7 MCAT.
Great planning. Timing is especially critical for UMMS application. I hope you get to be coated by your brother in 2016 if that's your wish. Or some other amazing school!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I'm interviewing in Chicago in December. I just want to clarify that this coat is professional enough to wear to the interview. Thanks!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/42358?feat=504728-GN2&page=ultrawarm-coat-three-quarter-length
That coat is not professional at all.

Believe me I've been in Chicago in the winter plenty of times and you will be warm enough (for the short period of time you might be outside) in a long full-length wool or cashmere coat with scarf, gloves and a hat.
 
I'd actually say that you should wear whatever on the outside and put it on a coat rack as you walk in.

Those coats are warm and chi-town winters are miserable. I would even wear boots and change into dress shoes before the interview if it's gross out. Arrive early to do this obviously.

It's better to arrive warm and dry than get there freezing and soaked with meltwater.

I don't think anyone's going to judge you for wearing something like that into the building as long as you have it off way before your interview.

Full disclosure though, I have a mens calf length overcoat for the slop, but I don't think it's entirely warm enough for some scenarios!
 
Great planning. Timing is especially critical for UMMS application. I hope you get to be coated by your brother in 2016 if that's your wish. Or some other amazing school!
That would be a dream. I would be coated by my Dad (faculty and med school alumni) and my brother. But MCAT is my Achilles Heel. Just took it for a second time. We'll see, but a girl can dream.

FYI, I'll be making my own account if I apply. Cheers to all, and thanks for the input. I'll need a suit for whatever profession the gods deem me worthy.
 
Nopenopenopenopenope

At my interview on Tuesday, the Dean of Students made two jokes about all of us getting the memo to wear our dark suits.
I'm not saying hot pink is a good idea, but it might not hurt to tastefully stand apart.

During one of my interviews there were 14 of us. 13 of us were in some form of black or grey. One in highlighter pink.
In my n=1 and inexperienced opinion, this did not scream I'm professional at anyone, she just looked ridiculous. Committees only need one reason to toss your application. I'm sure some women can pull it off, look professional, and positively influence an interviewer. But the process is just too variable and if you get an interviewer that is conservative, it'll probably torpedo your chances.
 
I'd actually say that you should wear whatever on the outside and put it on a coat rack as you walk in.

Those coats are warm and chi-town winters are miserable. I would even wear boots and change into dress shoes before the interview if it's gross out. Arrive early to do this obviously.

It's better to arrive warm and dry than get there freezing and soaked with meltwater.

I don't think anyone's going to judge you for wearing something like that into the building as long as you have it off way before your interview.

Full disclosure though, I have a mens calf length overcoat for the slop, but I don't think it's entirely warm enough for some scenarios!
That is a reasonable enough approach.

I answered in the fashion I did because the OP asked if the LLBean coat was "professional". It is not but there's nothing really wrong with wearing it outside on the way to/from the interview and hanging it up as soon as one arrives.

I have a long black cashmere coat my father purchased for me when I was in college (due to his disdain for my puffer jackets and him wanting to take me to the ballet) and it is much warmer than any other coat I own and has survived many a Chicago winter.
 
Hah, I wish I could say the same for the wool topcoat I have. I really want a knee/calf length polo coat or shearling coat for this winter...
 
To the faculty here, what would be the consequences of poor decision when it comes to interview clothing? Today a girl at my interview was wearing a flashy/metallic, wrinkle-styled polyester blazer that's very loose, pants of the same material, non-plain shirt with lots of folds in the front and a pair of big, dangly and light blue earrings. Another wore a pink forever21 style/quality looking jersey top and a tight black fashion skirt. I can't get my head wrapped around this. How can someone with the academic achievements enough for a top 10 school manage to fail to google "women's medical school interview clothing"? Both had extensive experience living in the US and both attended elite colleges so there were no cultural difference issue that might account for some of their decisions.

Is it bad that I sorta hope to see someone this entertaining at my interviews?
 
Thanks for the shoe tips!

Finally found a top that is a good color on me, but in wondering if it looks appropriate with my suit jacket. I'm planning on wearing a tank underneath to prevent any inadvertent peep-shows, and the jacket still needs to be tailored. Disregard the obnoxious mismatched phone case 😉 and selfie. View attachment 187122
I'm not a fan of the necklines together. IMHO with a lapeled jacket, a square, jewel, scoop or v neck looks best. However what you've chosen is not "inappropriate".
 
Hey guys, quick question:
Is it okay/appropriate to wear black shoes with a navy skirt suit? I have a pair of black pumps that I adore, are broken in and are comfortable but have always heard black and blue never go together?
 
Hey guys, quick question:
Is it okay/appropriate to wear black shoes with a navy skirt suit? I have a pair of black pumps that I adore, are broken in and are comfortable but have always heard black and blue never go together?
That is conventional advice but the rules are changing. In most cases, navy is to be worn with cordovan/merlot (as finding matching blue shoes is very difficult, even for *this* shoe maven) but black is perfectly fine IMHO if you don't have a merlot colored pair.

You may notice that many designers are actually showing blue and black together this season.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Love the suggestions! I checked AT a while back but missed two of these, I'm liking the first one in particular. Glad I asked the gurus 🙂
 
Do women's shirts have to be the collared, buttoned shirts? Or can they be a conservative silk/chiffon top?
 
I have a sheath dress with a matching blazer in a dark charcoal. It fits okay and what not but it's incredibly boring/stiff looking. Any suggestions for making the outfit more interesting looking?
 
Do women's shirts have to be the collared, buttoned shirts? Or can they be a conservative silk/chiffon top?
Collared, buttoned shirts on women are actually more difficult to pull off for a number of reasons (two of which are secondary sex characteristics). Even more challenging is the fact that there is no tie to center and hold the whole look together. I recommend a shell or closed front blouse.