Women’s Issues in OMM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shirtless in OMM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect, don't wear a bra either so you can be like a man

You might think you're smart because you're quoting some court case, but it only takes half a second to realize a case of a public park is not the same as a case of medical training, especially at private colleges. If I spend another half second, I bet I could find more reasons why your post is nonsense

“Private colleges,” Eh? Like Bob Jones University? They don’t take federal funds so they can enforce their anti-miscegenation laws. But I’d bet my shirt (and OMM-approved sports bra) that all medical schools accept federal funding... Probably even Loma Linda.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree! The point I'm making is that we shouldn't make "muslim only spaces" and just make accomodations on a case-by-case basis. The center for disability should cover this if there are past traumas.

Many Muslim women cannot speak to their Imams, nor their parents... If their parents knew they were being asked to touch/be touched by men they’d be pulled from school. I know this from two Muslim women DO students I’ve spoken with.

Ummmmmm are you a health professional? I suppose you’re banking on the whole “compassion” thing being *learned* in the process of your education?

Just so there’s no ambiguity, you have been reported.
For what? Calling out someone with significant mental health issues who decompensates in every thread they post in? There's a reason why she got banned.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ummmmmm are you a health professional? I suppose you’re banking on the whole “compassion” thing being *learned* in the process of your education?

Just so there’s no ambiguity, you have been reported.

Report me all you want. I stand by what I have said. Nor will I apologize. There is a reason that poster is now banned, and news flash: it isn’t the PATRIARCHY lol

Reactions: 7 users
What you are saying, I believe, is that patriarchial norms and cisheteronormativity should not be questioned in medical school, and this is something that women and sexual minorities should just shut up, stop challenging and censor themselves on, even if these norms have no biological or medical basis. My failure to accept this reality is just my warped snowflakeness.

Thanks for directly addressing my concern. I observed at least one queer-presenting female student who seemed to be subverting this gender norm. Are wireless bralettes with very little or no support acceptable? (They're definitely much more comfortable.)

c97.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
OP, I empathize strongly. But, I also empathize with the practical, scientific side.

What if you had a traditional muslim male who is uncomfortable with seeing women in bras? Or manipulating women? Or the fact that Islam prohibits the mere observation of a woman who is exposed? Or the fact that Islamic women and men can't even shake hands? What happens now? What kinds of accommodations can the muslim student have?

(I'm not saying I'm a Muslim male. I'm a muslim woman, but I'm trying to make a point).

I appreciate that. But there is a difference between being trained to be a care-giver and being trained to be a patient. We’re not going to school to learn to be patients, and our classmates can learn on the majority of students who don’t have extenuating circumstances. Being trained to be a care-giver, you must practice on everyone — men, women, disabled, trans, smelly, sexy, and everything in between. It’s being a *patient* that I object to and that I haven’t signed on for.

I appreciate that. But there is a difference between being trained to be a care-giver and being trained to be a patient. We’re not going to school to learn to be patients, and our classmates can learn on the majority of students who don’t have extenuating circumstances. Being trained to be a care-giver, you must practice on everyone — men, women, disabled, trans, smelly, sexy, and everything in between. It’s being a *patient* that I object to and that I haven’t signed on for.
Again, a mature conversation with your department heads is all that is required and they will work on a solution. They are not out to get you. /thread

Reactions: 4 users
Report me all you want. I stand by what I have said. Nor will I apologize. There is a reason that poster is now banned, and news flash: it isn’t the PATRIARCHY lol

So you’re completely indifferent to trans issues and neurodiversity and sexism. How woke of you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, a mature conversation with your department heads is all that is required and they will work on a solution. They are not out to get you. /thread

I had a mature convo with the Dean of OMM just this afternoon and was told, quite rudely, that there’d be zerooo accommodations, for me or for anyone else. Too bad, since this was my first-choice school. Too bad for all the other folks in my shoes who expect, this being America and all, that minor accommodations would be a no-brainer.

It’s being a *patient* that I object to and that I haven’t signed on for.

You aren’t getting it. That is part of the deal with medical school. As I have stated, schools will accommodate your requests WITHIN REASON. In addition, you need to take time to further get your trauma related PTSD under control because with how you have represented it in this thread I, and everyone else in this thread save for the loose cannon, is saying that you wouldn’t survive the medical school furnace. We are trying to help you. You can ignore us all you want but you have numerous people in this thread telling you this, and some of them are women.

So you’re completely indifferent to trans issues and neurodiversity and sexism. How woke of you! Hope you’re planning to practice in Arkansas.

images

Reactions: 5 users
So you’re completely indifferent to trans issues and neurodiversity and sexism. How woke of you! Hope you’re planning to practice in Arkansas.
So much for a civil conversation. Guess what, all people from there arent country redneck Republicans

Reactions: 2 users
I had a mature convo with the Dean of OMM just this afternoon and was told, quite rudely, that there’d be zerooo accommodations, for me or for anyone else. Too bad, since this was my first-choice school. Too bad for all the other folks in my shoes who expect, this being America and all, that minor accommodations would be a no-brainer.
There is a reason you have to read the technical standards before sending in secondaries and on conditional acceptances. The job of the medical educators is to make you a physician that can treat patients and diagnose correctly. It is not their job to to be hypersensitive of every SJW movement that may offend someone. If you don't like a school's technical standards, simply don't apply.

Reactions: 8 users
That is their choice. Most DO schools are *private* . Like @Goro has stated, same sex partner? Sure. Private space when lab is a group setting? Not likely

Status
Not open for further replies.