wondering if i made the right decision...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImNotThatGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
after graduating from undergrad, i moved back home with my parents and spent MONTHS trying to find a full-time job in the vet/animal field with no luck. then i finally found a job at a farm, but they could only hire me on an as-needed basis - nothing steady...we're talking like, i would work for 2 days/month.

so finally, my friend said 'hey why don't you apply at the credit union where i work?'. i was desperate to be on my own - 24 years old, a college grad, and still living with mom and dad is a crappy place to live. so i applied for the credit union job - and i got it!

so i've been working at the credit union full time and taking classes in a master's program part-time. do you think the fact that i work at a credit union will have a negative effect on my vet school app? i have TONS of veterinary and animal experience (i've interned at research labs, worked part-time at vet clinics, tons of volunteering with different kinds of vets, etc.). and i'm hoping that my master's classes will help me keep my science knowledge up. but i just don't want this job to put a big black mark on my vet app.

Members don't see this ad.

How can having a job to pay the bills be viewed negatively? You gotta do what you gotta do. Congrats on getting a job!

I agree with Marsala, it's unlikely they'll hold it against you. shouldn't be anything to worry about. Congrats on the job!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're applying to Missouri :laugh:. Seriously, though, kudos to you! Most vet schools will see that as a plus, especially if you have a lot of experience in the field!

Unless you're applying to Missouri :laugh:. Seriously, though, kudos to you! Most vet schools will see that as a plus, especially if you have a lot of experience in the field!
:laugh: Missouri :laugh:

thanks for the laugh!!

If you're worried you could always volunteer/shadow to show your continued interest. Although I'm sure you don't have a lot of free time to spend volunteering! Either way I'm sure you're fine

OP, working in outside fields offers you TONS of different experience that will separate you from your colleagues. You'll have lots of customer service experience, which can be very beneficial. Most non-traditionals have random jobs in their background; the key is making it work for you in your personal statement. Vet med is not all about just being comfortable with animals. You need maturity, people skills, communication skills, and responsibility. (And you need to be able to feed yourself and pay for those bloody application fees!) Congrats on being on your way to financial independence! :highfive:

If working at Dairy Queen for five years affected me negatively, I would have given up my dream of becoming a vet looong ago. Fast food are the only jobs that call me back for interviews. I can't get volunteer position in the animal field, let alone a job :p

I agree with what everyone has said... being pre-vet doesn't mean your life has to be 100% animals 100% of the time. Having other experiences will make you more well-rounded, which is a valuable quality.