Wondering if it's ok to submit application after..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TerryLo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have already taken my mcat twice, scoring very poorly each time...my grades are also not spectacular (3.5 overall and 3.4 sci)...I plan on retaking my mcat again in August. I want to apply (allopathic schools only) for this cycle but I was wondering if I should wait until I take my mcat in August to submit my application. Wouldn't my app be on hold anyways if I submitted now before I take the mcat again? My fears are: 1) I submit now, without my new mcat-->automatic rejection because of scores/grades 2) I submit after mcat--->application may be too late in cycle and thus ---> more rejection. Can someone help me with my predicament? Which would be wiser?

Members don't see this ad.

How did you do on your other two MCATs? and what kind of prep did you do?

Do you feel tht you know the material but are just having problems with the actual taking of the test?

19 first time, 23 the second....yeah the first time, I just really had no idea what was going on...i just wanted to take it just to take it...2nd time, i did better on the bs and ps, with an 8 and 10 respectively...just did crummy on the verbal. I used kaplan material...i'm really trying now just to focus on verbal stuff and bio. It really is disheartening, but I'm just really unsure what to do. As far as extracurriculars, I think they're ok, bout average. Teacher recs are also pretty good, I would imagine. I also have a Masters in biochemistry. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have to apply this year, wait til you have your score. Yeah, you won't be complete until September, but you can't afford the risk of 3 sub-25 MCAT scores. That will sort of finish you off.

If you have doubts about the MCAT, just wait another year, and study hard.

I'd submit now, but only applying to one school, so your transcripts are certified. If you get a decent MCAT score, ideally a 32, then add more schools and they'll receive the entire application within a day. If you get another low score, there's no point in applying to more schools this cycle and wasting the money. In that case, take a formal classroom prep course before retaking (now would be even better), and plan to try again next year.

I'd submit now, but only applying to one school, so your transcripts are certified. If you get a decent MCAT score, ideally a 32, then add more schools and they'll receive the entire application within a day. If you get another low score, there's no point in applying to more schools this cycle and wasting the money. In that case, take a formal classroom prep course before retaking (now would be even better), and plan to try again next year.

Yeah, do that :)