Wondering....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hak8419

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I can still get into dental school with a current science gpa of 2.8 something and an overall gpa of 3.2 something? I'm going to apply to dental school about a year from now. I was wondering what kind of DAT score do I need? I can potentially raise my science GPA to 3.37 and my overall to a 3.45 if I get all As and one B from now on. Does having 4 Cs hurt my chances significantly to applying to dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if I can still get into dental school with a current science gpa of 2.8 something and an overall gpa of 3.2 something? I'm going to apply to dental school about a year from now. I was wondering what kind of DAT score do I need? I can potentially raise my science GPA to 3.37 and my overall to a 3.45 if I get all As and one B from now on. Does having 4 Cs hurt my chances significantly to applying to dental school?

It really all depends. And plz bare in mind the advice u get on this forum is merely opinions. You can find a couple of Stats posted by doctoothache. All i would say in my opinion, is that you rock the DAT no less then 22. even if you pull the GPA to a 3.37 a 22+ will drastically increase ur chances. EVERY case taht adcoms look at is unique. Dont be too quick to compare urself to others. Just get ur shadowing in and ROCK the DAT. Best of luck. :thumbup:

Agree with sublimation. There is always a chance to explain everything on the interview as well (as long as you GPA goes up during your junior and senior year).

Also important: it depends on the school too.

I see...well I figured I can use the interview to explain. That's good that I still have a chance. Also, what is shadowing? shadowing a dentist?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see...well I figured I can use the interview to explain. That's good that I still have a chance. Also, what is shadowing? shadowing a dentist?

Shadowing means observing dentists at their trade. Most schools have a recommended or required amount of hours to observe dentists or at a dental related field (like a free dental clinic provided by the community or organization). Usually, your expected to get in at LEAST 100 hours of observation time before interview.

As far as your GPA, the school i'm applying to doesn't care if you have a 25 or a 21 on the DAT. Because the school is on a admission point system, the same amount of point is rewarded for those who have 21 and above. Meaning, on a 5pt scale, if you have a 21 DAT or above you'll get 5 points for the DAT portion (5 points is the highest you can get regardless if you make a 25 on DAT). If you get 20-19, you get a 4 point for the DAT portion. For your GPA, if you have 4.0-3.8 gpa, you'll get the total 5 points for the GPA portion, If you have 3.7-3.5 you'll get 4 points...and so on...But keep in mind, not all schools are the same.

Also, whenever you explain why your GPA is not as competitive as other applicants, make sure you have a good explaination - they want to know you have matured from your experience and that you are a responsible adult.

That's the best advice i can give you. Best of luck.

Shadowing means observing dentists at their trade. Most schools have a recommended or required amount of hours to observe dentists or at a dental related field (like a free dental clinic provided by the community or organization). Usually, your expected to get in at LEAST 100 hours of observation time before interview.

As far as your GPA, the school i'm applying to doesn't care if you have a 25 or a 21 on the DAT. Because the school is on a admission point system, the same amount of point is rewarded for those who have 21 and above. Meaning, on a 5pt scale, if you have a 21 DAT or above you'll get 5 points for the DAT portion (5 points is the highest you can get regardless if you make a 25 on DAT). If you get 20-19, you get a 4 point for the DAT portion. For your GPA, if you have 4.0-3.8 gpa, you'll get the total 5 points for the GPA portion, If you have 3.7-3.5 you'll get 4 points...and so on...But keep in mind, not all schools are the same.

Also, whenever you explain why your GPA is not as competitive as other applicants, make sure you have a good explaination - they want to know you have matured from your experience and that you are a responsible adult.

Which school is that?

What school is that at and where did you find this info?

I spoke with the Dean of admissions at OU about the admission process and that's how he explained it to me. But, also, there are 2 parts of the admission point system. One is for academics (DAT & GPA) and the other is personal interview (Ethics, Character, responsiblity...). They give you points for each portion. I don't know how they grade you on interview but, I do know your interview is also based on a point system.

I hope you find this helpful. good luck.