Wondering if I should bother applying...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zrh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am hoping to hear back some input on my current situation.

DAT: PA:22/QR:18/RC:20/Bio:20/GC:18/OC:13/TS:17/AA:18

I graduated from a 2 year college first with a GPA around 3.5, then transferred to a university to get my bachelors with a 3.92 GPA and 3.77 Science. I took a gap year in between schools and took all of my chemistries including orgo 1 & 2 during the first 2 years, so I was a little under prepared when I reached those sections. However when I did take those classes I scored all B+--> A.

I realize the Ochem score is unreasonably low and I do plan on retaking the DAT for my pride but application deadlines are soon (around Dec 1) in order to be admitted to the 2018 cycle. Unfortunately because I have to wait 90 days for a retake I will have missed the application deadlines.

Is it worth me applying to a couple low tier schools just incase?

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I would retake and apply next cycle, especially if you haven't submitted your application already - you're so late in the cycle that the DAT score issue is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

For future reference, it's best to apply well before the application deadline, and ideally as early as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would retake and apply next cycle, especially if you haven't submitted your application already - you're so late in the cycle that the DAT score issue is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Even though November is towards the end for some schools (not all) I would assume that if not for my bad score on the DAT I would have no problem getting into a dental school with my GPA, 252 hour dental internship, research thesis, and 40+ hour work as a dental assistant. Is this not the case? Are you saying most seats are pretty much full by now?

Even though November is towards the end for some schools (not all) I would assume that if not for my bad score on the DAT I would have no problem getting into a dental school with my GPA, 252 hour dental internship, research thesis, and 40+ hour work as a dental assistant. Is this not the case? Are you saying most seats are pretty much full by now?

There's rolling admissions when you apply to dental school, so on December 1st a good chunk of seats will be filled up and future interviewees have already been selected and scheduled for post-December interviews. The number of seats remaining by the time your application gets submitted, verified, looked at, and potentially considered for an interview would be slim to none. So even if your DAT was fine, you would likely have difficulty this cycle due to the lateness of the application.

Reactions: 2 users