Words for a young premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotAnMDOkay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the encouragement to enter medicine for predominately altruistic reasons is a means to ensure sufficient practitioners once there inevitably is no other reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine's deeper:

"Never let me slip, cause if I slip, then I'm slippin."

-Dr. Dre

Perhaps the encouragement to enter medicine for predominately altruistic reasons is a means to ensure sufficient practitioners once there inevitably is no other reason.

since human beings are born selfish and evil and greedy....

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, technically we are according to my developmental psych lecture (not evil, just selfish and greedy) :D

Another XKCD reader with Avatar included :diebanana:

And to the poster... well my encouragement is getting to work with dead things for a year or two till I get to do research on living things and then revert back to dead things but bipedal this time around and then finally some bipedal living things. Who wouldn't love a tank full of cadaver beetles and studies on the interactions between Marssonina, Aspen and Alzheimers!

Altruism is great. I want to make money for my altruism.Being a Doctor means following my passions, working in some uderserved areas, and getting paid to do wha I would love to be doning. Money is a factor yes, but not the only one. I am working hard for this, and I expect fair compensation, but I also realize the time I spend in altruistic efforts is very important. I'm giving up ten years of my life to education, I want money and the good feeling I get from helping people too.

selfishness and greedy isn't evil?

Is a dog that doesn't share its food evil? My understanding of evil was that it requires a certain level of consciousness and societal perception. And also I suppose there is a quantity aspect. If you are just selfish, are you thus evil if in any other way you are good?

Last edited:
Is a dog that doesn't share its food evil? My understanding of evil was that it requires a certain level of consciousness and societal perception. And also I suppose there is a quantity aspect. If you are just selfish, are you thus evil if in any other way you are good?

i am just quoting 'the leviathan", i dont really know what i am talking about nor will i take time to look into this matter. lets talk about pie...

"If the lifestyle that you living
Got you taking more f---ing shorts
Than getting props
Then that lifestyle need to stop
Best to recognize some Outlaw sh-t
Cause only in this Outlaw lifestyle can you truly come to
To see what this life's supposed to be like
Negro you'll start to see riches, fine bitches and hitting switches
Sh-t
To me that sh-t sound delicious
Street Fame "

-Tupac

Altruism is great. I want to make money for my altruism.Being a Doctor means following my passions, working in some uderserved areas, and getting paid to do wha I would love to be doning. Money is a factor yes, but not the only one. I am working hard for this, and I expect fair compensation, but I also realize the time I spend in altruistic efforts is very important. I'm giving up ten years of my life to education, I want money and the good feeling I get from helping people too.

I agree. This is all I can really see myself doing, but not for peanuts. I would love to help people but if I am forever in debt to massively inflated tuition costs (plus compounding) and declining reimbursements, I am very hesitant to continue. Especially when reimbursements are set by a panel of people and not market forces.

I read a lot of people here on SDN talk about how they come from families that didn't make much money and whatnot, so they're cool with taking a paycut from the current level of pay. That's cool, I can respect that, but just because the absolute amount of pay is higher than what they're personally used to doesn't mean that they are being fairly compensated for their work.

Example: I don't think people like CT surgeons are fairly compensated for their work; yes they may make good absolute amounts of money when judged by someone who came from not much money, but when they can do a comparable surgery on a dog and get paid 3x the amount in cash, I don't think they're being compensated fairly. The services they provide are invaluable but the compensation is dictated by a fallible being or committee. It's easy to say "yeah x amount of dollars sounds sweet" without knowing the actual situation you may be getting yourself into, especially in the work environment.

"If the lifestyle that you living
Got you taking more f---ing shorts
Than getting props
Then that lifestyle need to stop
Best to recognize some Outlaw sh-t
Cause only in this Outlaw lifestyle can you truly come to
To see what this life's supposed to be like
Negro you'll start to see riches, fine bitches and hitting switches
Sh-t
To me that sh-t sound delicious
Street Fame "

-Tupac