Words of advice for P1's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmmom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
School starts in a few weeks and I am begining to feel anxious. P2's and beyond please post your advice for us first years!! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

if anyone feels anxious be glad you probably do not have a 8 to 5 week long orientation complete with portfollio hw and final exam

talk about southern overkill hospitality

tho at least its one credit down

yeah im kinda jittery but its more a "oh gosh dont say anything stupid" kind of jitters

Just some random bits of advice:

Don't put off studying until the last minute. Stay on top of things and it'll be a lot smoother the night before the exam. <<waiting for a fellow cpg student to chime in and gloat about how he only studies for 90 minutes per exam.>>

Get over to your library as soon as possible and familiarize yourself with how to look stuff up in the different drug references. (ie- Facts-n-Comparisons, DIH, etc.)

If you've got a few extra c-notes in your budget, invest in a PDA and get Lexi-Comp on it, as well as using Outlook (sync'd between your pda and pc) to manage your schedule.

If you're not already working, wait a few quarters, and then get an intern job for at least one shift a week.

Manage your time wisely, and try to take at least one weekend day just for yourself, with no work or studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to have a life outside of school.

Don't go in thinking you will get straight A's....you will be sorely disappointed. But also don't be one of those people convinced you are going to fail. If you do the work and keep up, not only will you pass, you will do just fine.

Time management and organization are key. Make time to do the things you like. It's important to recharge because school can be draining.

Join your student organizations and GET INVOLVED. Go to the APhA-ASP Midyear Regional Meeting and the annual meeting in San Francisco.

Don't stay up all night studying! Every time I stayed up all night this past year, I took the exam and realized the extra studying made no difference (except that it exhausted me). So if it's 4 AM (or even 2 AM) and the books are still open...GO TO BED!

Take your vitamins and take care of yourself. Wash your hands a lot. I know people who were sick as long as 3 weeks in the winter and you cannot afford that with school.

Go to class. I can honestly say I missed a little more than I should have toward the end of the year and it really affected my grades.

Work in a pharmacy if possible, preferably somewhere you like working. It keeps you connected to the profession, allows you to earn extra money, and reminds you why you are putting yourself through such a difficult program. With that being said, do not work too much. 10 hours per week is plenty.

Keep a positive attitude. Sometimes assignments or classes seem completely pointless but instead of complaining, it's best to suck it up and just do it.

Don't give up. Almost everyone considers their pharmacy alma mater to have the motto "IHTFP."

Although only the Techies would integrate that into their brass rats....

If you're going the MWU-CPG, the school's improved substantially since I was there. Good luck!

weredoomedfr1.jpg

we're doomed!

Mine starts next week and I've already given myself an ulcer over it (really, I had to go to the doctor and everything). I'm nervous as all can be but I don't really know why. I know I'll do fine, I know this is the profession that I want to go into to, yada yada. I actually think my biggest worry is finding a legal parking place, catching the bus and getting to the pharmacy building in time for class all without having an anxiety attack. Things like that freak me out.

And then there's that whole thing about being the stupidist person in my class that I;m worried about. I hate feeling stupid.

That was deep!

Nice post. Thanks a lot guys for all the advice! Keep it coming!

pharmaz88 said:
Just some random bits of advice:

Don't put off studying until the last minute. Stay on top of things and it'll be a lot smoother the night before the exam. <<waiting for a fellow cpg student to chime in and gloat about how he only studies for 90 minutes per exam.>>

I would be one of those people, at least for the first 3 quarters. This past one is something totally different.

Try to stay on top of things. Get a study buddy if you like those or find a place where you can actually get into your zone. I like to sit on my couch with a fan right behind my head. The white noise and cool air really frees my mind.

In undergrad I could meditate before every exam and I feel it really helped me. It is too noisy for me to "leave my body" at this school, but I still try.

If you feel you need to read the texts, buy them. If you talk to upperclassmen at your school and they say the books are worthless, take good notes.

I think it is pretty common sense to continue studying as you did in undergrad. If it worked before, it should work now.

Thanks to Pharmmom for starting this thread :) And thanks to all of you who posted some really helpful and encouraging advice--it's much appreciated.

Stop worrying about how smart or stupid you are compared to everyone else in your class- it's pointless and who cares. Do the best YOU can. If you've done that, what could you be disappointed in?

Quite possibly my best piece of advice would be to NOT go to class if you're tired. I spent many a morning falling asleep in the most boring of lectures b/c I was exhausted. I could have stayed home, gotten my sleep, and learned way more just by reading and studying on my own. Of course, everyone works differently- I had people in my class who rarely showed up to class, but instead spent that time in the library doing self study. They made A's on the tests too. So just do whatever works for you and stop giving a damn about what everyone else is doing (especially gradewise). Take care of yourself!