Work/activities vs Research/Personal [MD/PhD]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

InactiveLurker

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone. I apologize if a thread like this exists already, I was not able to locate it. I am applying to MSTP programs only and I am confused about goal and purpose of each writing section.

My question is how to balance my work/activity writing and research statement/personal statements. Since I heavily discuss my research experience in research statement, should I still include research experience in my work/activities as significant experiences(since they are)? Should i write about research in the work/activities section at all, and if I do, should I discuss it in a way that mostly does not overlap with research statement?
Also, I just briefly mentioned my dedication to research in medical school personal statement. Since I have room to talk about lab experience in research and md/phd essays, is a brief paragraph about dedication to research enough for personal statement?
And in general, does the same admission person read all of the essays and work activities/LORs or not?

Thank you
 
Last edited:
Here's how I tackled it, so you can compare what you were thinking.

My personal statement did not include research in the slightest. My goal was to communicate how I think and what kind of person I am, and how that aligns with medicine.

My research statement was entirely technical, and also served to help establish a chronology of my research experience better than disparate entires in the activities section could.

I only designated two most meaningful activities - my primary clinical work, and my main UG research lab. I used the extra most meaningful space for the research to talk about what being in my lab meant to me personally, and what I learned about what I will look for in future labs and how I felt about the mentorship environment I was in.
 
Thank you for response whistleberries!
I am curious, how technical were you in describing your research? Where you intending this section to a broad audinence like anyone with PhD? Did you discussed techniques/assays you used?
 
Thank you for response whistleberries!
I am curious, how technical were you in describing your research? Where you intending this section to a broad audinence like anyone with PhD? Did you discussed techniques/assays you used?
Not very, just naming techniques and the motivation for using them for each particular research question