Work/Activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackSails

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How formal is this section supposed to be?

Is it ultra-formal, active clauses only, similar to a resume?

Or is it a series of mini essays describing things you have done in college, which should follow the conventions of essays?

Members don't see this ad.

Not formal - You can enter descriptions either as a short paragraph or as bullet points, and I've heard arguments for both. Personally, I went with bullet points, since I figured it would make that section quicker and easier to read for the adcoms who likely don't have much time to read through an application and pull out important info.

Not formal - You can enter descriptions either as a short paragraph or as bullet points, and I've heard arguments for both. Personally, I went with bullet points, since I figured it would make that section quicker and easier to read for the adcoms who likely don't have much time to read through an application and pull out important info.

:thumbup: Agree. It should be formal enough that you don't draw attention to the informality of it, but it doesn't need to be as stylized as a resume. I think the number one rule should be readability. Be concise. Make it easy on the adcoms to go through, get the important information, and move on. Leave them with a positive feeling instead of confused or tired.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree with the above two commentators. Give them enough information to create an interesting conversation during your interview.

do hobbies require verifiers as well?