work authorization for OPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgupta333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied for OPT with start date as August 1.Vermont Center got my application on June 27th. As per the proccessing backlog my EAD card should come by end of August. But I have a job offer to join from August 1. Can I start working from August 1 , once I see that my application is approved online? IS it necessary to wait for the EAD card though in my EAD the start date will be August 1st, but unfortunately I dont think I will get it by August 1st? Kindly help

Members don't see this ad.

mgupta333 said:
I have applied for OPT with start date as August 1.Vermont Center got my application on June 27th. As per the proccessing backlog my EAD card should come by end of August. But I have a job offer to join from August 1. Can I start working from August 1 , once I see that my application is approved online? IS it necessary to wait for the EAD card though in my EAD the start date will be August 1st, but unfortunately I dont think I will get it by August 1st? Kindly help
wait a minute..EAD has something to do with greecard or H visa right?
OPT come under F1 visa(of this I am sure)...how did that happen? Are you on double visa status? :confused:

D(M)ental said:
wait a minute..EAD has something to do with greecard or H visa right?
OPT come under F1 visa(of this I am sure)...how did that happen? Are you on double visa status? :confused:

For the duration of OPT USCIS issues an EAD, Which is same as EAD issued after I-485 application. Only difference is OPT EAD is non-renewable. Hope I cleared the confusion.

rahmed

rahmed said:
For the duration of OPT USCIS issues an EAD, Which is same as EAD issued after I-485 application. Only difference is OPT EAD is non-renewable. Hope I cleared the confusion.
rahmed
Oh ok..of course.Thank you Rahmed.
In that case if you have not recieved the EAD card yet,you can apply for expidited service for extra fee and work offer letter form your employer.
There is also an option to make the start date as the date of application not as the date you originally requested.Make sense? :)
Another option is to work as a volunteer until you get the EAD card :)