Work Before PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those that are currently working and are entering PT school this year, have you been honest with your job/boss about starting school and that you will have to quit, etc?

How about those that want to work prior to a program starting? Would you be honest with the job and let them know during the interview that you will only be able to work for a few months or would you keep that to yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

I was honest about my situation and they were fine with it. Currently working in the finance world

I just got accepted a full-time job I really wanted. I wish wish wish I had this job 9 months earlier but...what can you do. Unfortunately, I will have to leave the job after 4 months and I did not inform them about PT school. This is a very uncomfortable situation for me but....it's a harsh world out there. They can fire me for any reason and I can leave them for any reason. Sucks but what can you do if it's the only way to make money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted a full-time job I really wanted. I wish wish wish I had this job 9 months earlier but...what can you do. Unfortunately, I will have to leave the job after 4 months and I did not inform them about PT school. This is a very uncomfortable situation for me but....it's a harsh world out there. They can fire me for any reason and I can leave them for any reason. Sucks but what can you do if it's the only way to make money.

You are so right, it is a harsh world out there. That's the reality of it all.

I've been honest about it and they're okay with it.
I'm applying for a second job. If I get an interview, I'll be honest about it with them too.
One particular job I'm applying to says that they typically get med students before they start med school. Therefore, I'm assuming my situation isn't rare for them.

I currently work at a PT clinic, so they know I'm heading to PT school.

But since the clinic where I work at is abysmally slow (thanks to the economy), I might pick up a 2nd job to make some money before PT school. I do wonder if I would tell the 2nd job about PT school... It would look bad to leave just a few months after starting, and it would put them in a jam to find a replacement for my position.

At the same time, would I be able to secure the position at the 2nd place if they knew that I would only be temporary? If they knew that, they would probably be disinclined to hire me. I live in a relatively small community, so there aren't a whole lot of temp positions.

What to do?

I was semi-honest with my job. They knew I applied when they went over my resume (in retrospect I should have left my observation experience off for this particular employer), but I would not inform them of interviews unless it was absolutely necessary, and I did not inform them I'd be leaving until ~3.5 weeks beforehand.

My assumption is that your first employer, as a PT, will not care about your experience before PT school, especially if it was for just a couple of months. Therefore your recommendation from this employer probably won't matter and it really may not even need to be on your resume at all.

My advice: Don't tell them. Once you start, be fair by giving them 2 weeks notice to find a replacement, but outside of that do what will give you the best results for yourself, personally (your personal business), and who cares if they are a put in a tough situation? They would likely screw you over in a heartbeat if it meant better results for their business. I was in the same position after I graduated. What are you supposed to do, stick to a crappy summer job and not use the degree you just received just because you won't be there long? I understand the moral dilemma here, and it's tough, but just keep in mind their business model likely dictates that they would do the same thing to you.

My advice: Don't tell them. Once you start, be fair by giving them 2 weeks notice to find a replacement, but outside of that do what will give you the best results for yourself, personally (your personal business), and who cares if they are a put in a tough situation? They would likely screw you over in a heartbeat if it meant better results for their business. I was in the same position after I graduated. What are you supposed to do, stick to a crappy summer job and not use the degree you just received just because you won't be there long? I understand the moral dilemma here, and it's tough, but just keep in mind their business model likely dictates that they would do the same thing to you.

Exactly this. I was working FT in marketing and I gave them 2 weeks notice: nothing more, nothing less. You are not required to tell your job everything that's going on in your life, especially when being honest may (unfortunately) work against you. With the state of the economy, you could be let go for any reason because there is someone out there who will most likely take your job for less money. Whatever works profit-wise for the company is the route they'll take. They're not emotionally invested in you, so you shouldn't be so in them. It's sad to say, but it's true.

I think it really depends on your situation.

If you are at a job completely unrelated to PT and academia, sure maybe you can afford to jump ship with two weeks notice. You might never need to talk to them again or ask for a reference once you are in school and then the PT field.

However, if you are working in PT, academia, or any field that is even slightly related to health care or biological sciences, I would be careful how you end things. If you ever want a letter when you apply for scholarships, etc. you won't want to burn any bridges.

I really lucked out, in the position that I held before starting school was a temporary position (with the possibility of it being extended into a permanent position). They sort of knew from the get go, it was the reason I applied to a temporary job, (although they were all rooting for me to stay- that would've been horrible for them to fight to get the position extended and then me turn it down). I was upfront with them throughout the process, mostly because they were all rooting for me to go and "do something bigger and better" with my life. ;)