Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Work during school?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Plankton, May 16, 2007.

1. Plankton

Other Health Professions Student
    How many hours a week have you been able to work during pharmacy school?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member

Pharmacist
    I worked 10-12 hrs/wk my 1st year (one weeknight plus a weekend afternoon). Then this changed to 2 weeknights during my 2nd yr, based on my store's needs. Then in like March of my 2nd yr, I had to cut back to just 1 weeknight (5-6 hrs) because my courseload was so crazy. I do go to a 3-yr school, so other students may have been able to continue the 2 nights a week.

4. airtim00

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey, I heard that some 4 year pharmacists look down on the 3 year program.
    Do you feel that the 3 year program provides the same knowledge, skillset, etc. that the 4 year program provides?

It should be the same thing just accelerated right?

5. njac

njac Senior Member

Pharmacist
    I've worked at least 20 hours a week through my 1st two years of pharmacy school. I imagine I'll keep up 16 or so my 3rd year.

I found that working in the hospital actually helped my grades my 2nd year - I have much more familiarity with antibiotics (ie Zosyn, aminoglycosides) than my retail-only classmates.

6. Dustbunny

Who gives a damn so long as you pass your boards. Most people find it "harder" to do it all in 3 years because the material comes so quickly. Some thrive in this environment.

But none of it matters once you pass your boards. And I guarantee you that while someone may ask where you went to school, no one will ask you if you did a 3 year program or 4. (Because it doesn't matter! Weee!)

7. beneventorx

Pharmacy Student
    i just started my rotations so i unfortunately have to work less but the last 3 years i worked 32 hours per week at a large community hospital. my classmates tell me that i am crazy but it never interfered with classwork. i think the average is about 20 hours per week.

8. GatorRxGirl

Pharmacy Student
    Some 4 year pharmacists also look down on any other 4 year pharmacist who didn't go to the same school as them. There's a million threads on 3 year schools...check them out.

9. psychoandy

psychoandy Junior Member

I just pulled 50 hours on top of 16-ish hours of class :)

Of course, this was last week when I had no tests and I knew I could bank. This week/next week are filled with studying and paper writing though...I'd rather be dealing with weird issues at work and making money :(

10. tennismn

tennismn Member

Pharmacy Student
    I did 35 to 40 hours a week my first year in pharmacy school. It's possible, but be prepared to be envious of the people in your class who aren't working. You won't have much free time, and scheduling can get tricky at times. If you're good at scheduling, that will help immensely.

It can also be tricky with last minute studying, since the time isn't there. Try working after pulling an all nighter...I can't do it. If you can, kudos to you.

If you have a low stress job, or one where they don't mind you studying while you're there, that would be ideal. I've heard of people working at a hotel front desk overnight, and having lots of free time to study while they're there.