Work during school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would you do?

• Study during the 10 hours a week

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • TA the class and make bank

Votes: 32 72.7%

• Total voters

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All. I'm starting school in a few days, and I also recieved an opportunity to continueing TAing the class that I have TAed the past 2 years. Since I've done it so many times, it wouldn't take much work. Literally 10 hours a week, which includes all travel time. I would do it Tueday and thursay from 4-8. I'm just curious if you guys think I would have the time and if you guys would do it yourself. I would be making about 1400$ a month from this, which would most definately help out the money supply.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should definately do it. That is some much needed cash, and the 10 hours will give you time off from studying.

I think you should do it too. I'll probably be working two jobs. Have fun at Keck. I have two fellow classmates joining you there so I hope you all do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
$1400 a month? And to think that I was happy about a job opportunity that may bring me max $250 a month. :) I say do it.

I voted for "study the 10 hrs" but only because its the first semester of med school and you might want to see what its like and how much studying you'll need, adjustment time etc. before committing to teaching a class (even if it is only 10 hrs). But if you're pretty sure you'll be comfortable with studying and working...definitely go for it ;)

Keeping the job depends on how well you manage your time. Be careful not to screw yourself by having to work the night (or 2-3 nights) before a test. Can someone cover for you if it gets tough?

I had a consulting company before medical school. I have maintained old clients throughout my med school career (I'm in my 3rd yr). I have had to take breaks when life got rough, especially during systemic path. My work often functions as a welcome study break.

Again, be careful not to screw yourself. You are going to be busy, likely very busy. Make sure you aren't spreading yourself too thin.

A little bit more info. All on the good side. I will be in school 8 weeks before I would start TAing, so I will have plenty of time just to back out. Also, I do have about 2 people who would love to cover for me if neccessary (I kind of got them the job). So I just set it up so that I can do it, with me being able to back out 3 weeks before it starts if neccesary.

So I decided to make bank for all of you who care. It shouldn't be that bad, plus I need the $$$ considering my rent will be 750$ a month.

sounds good!
If you have a job, you'll just spend less time messing around. Basically, you'll be more disciplined and probably do just as well, or even better!

jalby, where will u be TAing? at ucla or usc

I'll be doing it at UCLA. Same class I have been TAing the past 2 years.