Work Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vina_to_ormus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just accepted into med school, and I want to apply for my school's MD-MBA program, but I have almost no work experience. Will I even receive consideration? Is there anything that I can do over the summer or during the next few years that would make me a viable candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

check with whoever coordinates the md mba program. This is a common prob among med students. Usually they make provisions or suggestions, otherwise we would all be in hot water. where are you?

Most joint degree candidates have no work experience. If you'd like to get some, you could apply for some summer internships next summer (its a little late for this summer). Although if you don't have the course requirements (some require you getting a degree in business) you might have a narrow track.

I wouldn't worry too much about the work experience part of the degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. I had no work experience at all (in fact, I've only taken one semi-business class in undergrad) and got into my MD/MBA program. I would suggest contacting your specific school's MBA program coordinator to find out.

Orthogonal to OP:

One thing to consider is that work experience, even if not entirely necessary for acceptance into a program, will make the MBA much more valuable. Even if it's a couple of summers worth, you'll both bring alot more to the classes and, more importantly, take away much more.

While B-school is, at some level, about mastering a new vocabulary and adding to the rolodex, there are some useful concepts hidden there that prior experience will help you to take advantage of.

I did the MBA way before the MD/PhD and before having much experience (had started a couple SMALL companies in college and grew up in a family business, but went right through from BA to MBA - sort of unusual at the time). As a result, it was harder to discern wheat from chaff during the program. That said, there's not so much to an MBA curriculum that you couldn't just "do it all" and sort it out later (my approach - not smartest, but it was a ton of fun), but it does help to have the context.

Now, having had a business background before coming to med school - talk about a different perspective - but that's a totally different subject...

Good luck!

P

I just graduated from med school and decided to apply to schools that have 1 year MBA programs. I applied to 3 top 20 MBA programs (two top 10) with my MD and a 710 (94%) GMAT, was given acceptance and scholarship at all of them.

in short, ABSOLUTELY NO work experience is needed. Just get a decent gmat and tell them you are a doctor. you'll be a shoo-in.

hope that eases your mind.

I just graduated from med school and decided to apply to schools that have 1 year MBA programs. I applied to 3 top 20 MBA programs (two top 10) with my MD and a 710 (94%) GMAT, was given acceptance and scholarship at all of them.

in short, ABSOLUTELY NO work experience is needed. Just get a decent gmat and tell them you are a doctor. you'll be a shoo-in.

hope that eases your mind.

Hi Bun,

How would you rate the difficulty of the GMAT relative to the MCAT? Also, is there an expiration date for the GMAT? As for myself, I applied late to med school this yr, and it looks like I wont get in, so I was planning on working at an I-Bank for a yr or two before reapplying and goin to med school, and was wondering if I should take the GMAT this summer while I still have some free time.

I will be entering my first year of med school and considering my school's joint md/mba program. i graduated with a BA in econ. will my gpa be looked upon more because it was in econ? or does it matter at all.