Work F/T and Study MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzywuz

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently in this situation and want to see what you guys think.

I took the June 13th exam and have rescheduled for Aug 15th. I'm looking to start studying again real soon. Since the 13th, I have done zero studying.

Anyway, my summer job (F/T) will start Jun 30 and end on Aug 15th.

I will be working Monday thru Thurs from 9AM-4PM. I'll be teaching JHS and HS students at an enrichment program. Work load won't be overbearing.

Anyway, I just want your thoughts on the possibility of studying for the MCAT under such circumstances. I have already prepped for the June 13th test by reviewing materials. What my goals are for now are:

1) Improve timing
2) Brush up on concepts that I still have trouble with
3) Work on verbal.
4) Get the science down cold.

I guess with the 2 months I have now, those are all feasible goals. My only concern is the job that I will be holding.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Given that you just sat an MCAT, it's safe to say you've done the bulk of your studying. Trying to improve your weak areas while working F/T shouldn't be any problem. Try to set aside 4 hrs/day (give or take) and commit to spending that time working on the weaknesses you mentioned. I was working while studying for the MCAT, and found that 4 hours of studying in the evening was better than a full day of unfocused studying. I'm confident that you'll be able to improve your skills before the next test. Good luck!

treat the mcat studying like a 4 or 5 credit hour science class. that's about how much time you should be studying more or less.

For me, it really depends on where you were at the June 13th test. What were your practice scores like going into the test? Why did you void? If you were in a sticky situation going into the MCAT (i.e. low test scores), then I'm not sure if doing a full time job on top of the MCAT is a good idea. If you were going in with 28-low 30s, then it's definitely do able. I'd focus on pounding away at doing insane amounts of practice problems. Do that and you'll pull up your test score. Then again, you have to be absolutely sure the workload for your teaching isn't that much. I'm saying this because I remember people going in thinking, "this won't be tough" and coming out looking beat.

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. I actually did not void the test. I'm just securing a spot in case of a bad situation.

For my practice test, my ranges were in fact around 28-30. So hopefully, it does pan out.

Thanks!!