Work for big medical group vs. start over from scratch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you’re a new grad starting out, what’s a decent offer from a hospital system?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on
1. Location
2. Clinic
3. OR availability
4. Ancillary support
5. Mentorship
6. Referral system etc
1. Suburb
2. Mostly outpatient
3. Plenty
4. Some but need more
5. Little to none
6. Strong referrals

Members don't see this ad :)
You will make absolutely no money without in office procedures.

Want this reiterated to anyone reading this thread.

For the options posted, I 100% agree.

For anyone else who might be browsing this forum, you CAN make good money if you're only collecting the professional fee IF you are supported strongly by a large system and they FEED you plenty of strong procedure referrals. wRVU is more lucrative. In office procedures are more lucrative.

Reactions: 1 user
2. Mostly outpatient
3. Plenty
4. Some but need more
5. Little to none
6. Strong referrals
Sorry for being unclear. The intent was to show you there are many variables that go into your question. I’d suggest you look at MGMA data and current employee salaries. My sense is as a hospital employee you won’t have much (to any) negotiating power. They’re a huge entity.

Nothing.

If the CEO thinks you are earning too much they can easily try to impose a pay cut.

Most reasonable people would assume that if a physician is busy and generating a lot of RVUs, the health system would be happy and not want to rock the boat. Don't underestimate the stupidity of hospital administration though.

I'm not in pain but was apart of a 10 person health system affiliated OBGyn group. Admin decided that we were overpayed and found some bogus consultant to support their claim. Several of us left and promptly found new jobs in the area for better pay and less work
thats not as easy as it is being made to sound.

you sign a contract. they are legally required to honor that contract and what is written in that contract. i.e. make sure that your contract specifically states that you are guaranteed x$/wRVU.

they would have to renegotiate or redo your contract to change that $/wRVU. which is technically not hard to do but is another step and you would have to not sign the new contract.

===

in terms of the blue pill - there is no guarantee that the pain doc will agree to allowing you to buy the practice. more likely, the hospital will buy up the practice. they will always have more funding available.

Or you can buy a practice that already has all the insurance contracts, and just add your name. My group does that.

Last edited: