Work hour restrictions--less time to get things done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tufts2004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Do the work hour restrictions make it difficult for some people who might take longer to get things done? I'm concerned because I feel that I do work slowly....I'm way too obssesive/compulsive, but I hate for other people to cover for me....so I'm ususally make up for it by coming earlier and staying later than everyone else. Is this an issue with the work hour restrictions?

Members don't see this ad.

I've found that the work hours only help me......they ensure that I am able to leave and get some rest. however, on those rare occasions where I have work to finish....i stay, and suck it up. While working in the MICU on average i worked 100-120 hour weeks, but i wasn't complaining, and my fellow residents were happy to see that i didn't dump my work on them too often.

I've only "heard" of residents being forced to leave, and that came from my surgical friends.

Monty...

Before that, many surgeons/OBs/ICU docs regularly worked 110-120 hours/week. It's not that difficult if you're Q2 call. That's just abusive to the resident and dangerous to the patient.

I know a few surgeons who think the 80 hour limit is a drag - it cuts in on their operating time. Eventually, the system will kick in and hospitals will be forced to get more help in order that 80 hours/week is actually enough time to do everything.

Yes, some hospitals, especially ones that have been fined for work hour limits, will kick you out post-call. Good for them.