Work in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkpa2med

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the employment for pods in NYC? I've heard that its not good to work where their is a school nearby. Also how are the starting salaries? In the NY/NJ area?

Members don't see this ad.

It is usually difficult in any city w/ a Pod school and/or a residency program.

Salary.com says that a pod in NYC has a median salary of ~$140k. Does that sound about right? Is that considered for a salaried pod?

Members don't see this ad :)
bkpa2med said:
How is the employment for pods in NYC? I've heard that its not good to work where their is a school nearby. Also how are the starting salaries? In the NY/NJ area?

According to the 2004 APMA Young Members salary survey, the average salaries for podiatrists with less than 5 years experience in the Mid Atlantic states is listed below:

Middle Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA) $84,850

I know that there are many postings on here that state that Podiatrists with 3 years of surgical residency training are making above $100,000 a year. This may be true in the midwest, southwest, and south. Unfortunately, this is not true in Northeast US. The Middle Atlantic states have been hit hard with horrible reimbursements from health insurance companies, high malpractice costs, and rising number of people participating in HMOs. Of course, there are a few exceptions where there might be an offer above 100,000 (though they are not very common). There are pockets in Northeast that are great areas to practice in with people having excellent health insurances but these areas are now saturated with Podiatrists. Based on most of the my friends and classmates joining as a new associate in the Middle Atlantic states, the range of starting salaries have been from 55,000 - 90,000 plus benefits and incentive bonus structure. Even some of the Orthopedic groups are catching on and are offering a starting salary that is slightly above the average starting salary for a new podiatric associate in the area. For example, I have a classmate who joined an Ortho group in NJ who started at 85,000 with bonus and benefits.

dpmgrad said:
For example, I have a classmate who joined an Ortho group in NJ who started at 85,000 with bonus and benefits.

Ouch! hopefully the bonuses brought up his salary.