work study job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gimpMD

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I tutored disadvantaged kids but got paid for it via work study 50 percent of the time (volunteered for no pay the other 50). is this employment, volunteering, or both? where do i list it on amcas?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by gimpMD
Hi,

I tutored disadvantaged kids but got paid for it via work study 50 percent of the time (volunteered for no pay the other 50). is this employment, volunteering, or both? where do i list it on amcas?

For those types of things, I just picked one and noted in the description that it was paid but also volunteer or paid but also research, etc. "Portions were paid while others were for credit" etc.

I'd list it under both, with different wording (ie work-study position in tutoring under employment, and volunteered tutor for underserved children under volunteer work).

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Kalel
I'd list it under both, with different wording (ie work-study position in tutoring under employment, and volunteered tutor for underserved children under volunteer work).

You don't want to list anything twice on AMCAS. No way.

thanks for the responses.

I selectively chose my work study jobs so that they could be fulfilling. In fact, a few of my significant ECs were work study (research, tutoring, "shadowing" - aka office assistant but followed doc around).

Does it look bad that i got paid? i mean, i needed money n stuff....