Work vs. School, which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staroceanX

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of Curiosity, Do you guys think working is better or being in school is better for pharmacy? I understand "better" is a broad definition, but just the overall feeling of work vs. school. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

staroceanX said:
Out of Curiosity, Do you guys think working is better or being in school is better for pharmacy? I understand "better" is a broad definition, but just the overall feeling of work vs. school. ;)

Working in a pharmacy gets you familiar with drug names and insurance billing. Pharmacy school allows you to study disease and how to best treat that disease using drug therapy. Which one is better for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
School is more fun, work pays better... much better.

staroceanX said:
are you asking which one we like better? easier?
i'm praying the answer to that is work.....

it will be better than studying for sure....

bbmuffin said:
are you asking which one we like better? easier?
i'm praying the answer to that is work.....

it will be better than studying for sure....

Whenever I had a bad day at work, I just reminded myself that the worst day at work is still better than the best day at school.

staroceanX said:
Are you asking which one will look better on your application?

sorry for the confusion , which i didn't notice. My question is based on the quality of life. Do you think life would be better at school or at work? Some people say work sucks because you have responsibility to money and you do the same thing everyday. Some other people say school sucks with all the studying, exams, and debts...
Personally, I'm predicting work would be better. I'm always happier when the things I do are meaningful. Studying is important, but they're not applicable or practical yet. As to stress between work and school, I think the stress in school won't be less than stress at work, especially with the stable job of pharmacy. Stress with classes and exams are horror. At work, I'll be able to do things that are helpful and meaningful to others and apply what i learned. At the same time, I'll be getting my own money and won't be guilty of using them!!

I like school better...I will probably be never as involved in stuff as I am at the current time. When I graduate, I will probably fail to find time to do things with organizations

For me, school is much more stressful than work. Today is my first reading day. We are giving two days to study before final exams. Since I had a regular exam last night, I haven't started studying yet. If I did poorly on that exam, I will have to take the optional final next Thursday. I probably won't know my grade until the day before. But, since I have 4 other finals I don't have time to study for it, anyway. Even when it's not exam week, you have so much material to learn. Other things are starting to leak out of my brain. I had to ask someone what year it was. I couldn't remember it was 2004.

Pharmacy work was not as stressful, even when there were customers screaming and threatening the pharmacist. The most stressful part was the competition between the techs. Only one was certified, so she did all the typing. No one wanted to cashier and there were 5 other techs on duty, plus me and the pharmacist. The techs all said things about each other behind each other's backs. I was new, so they felt that I should cashier, but I was supposed to be in back with the pharmacist. So, the ones who normally cashiered had a new person to hate. I got along great with the certified tech, though. We had a lot of fun.

Everyone loved the pharmacist, regardless of who was on duty. They got their @asses kissed by all the techs. So, they ignored the bickering and no one got reprimanded. Many days were unpleasant, but school is 1000x worse.