Work vs. Volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Forca Barca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys
for financial reasons, I had to work 2.5 years during my undergrad and i did 40 hrs/week + majoring in biochemistry. that left me no space for alot of EC's .. now when adcoms look at my application, is work looked at in a bad way versus volunteering or what?
I was a store supervisor at McDonald's if that matters!
I'm a junior now btw

thanks

I think work is looked at positively in the application. I worked with my dad for 4+ years to help the home financial situation and while I managed to do decent EC, I still mentioned that I worked with my dad. If it doesn't relate to medicine, at least it develops your personal and communication skills! It is not all about medicine. Adcom like to see well rounded individuals who can carry a conversation.

But what EC have you done?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard from the dean at one of the Chicagoland medical schools say repeatedly that food service jobs are particularly desirable. Plus, as a store supervisor I'm assuming you were overseeing other people + more responsibility, yes?

I have heard from the dean at one of the Chicagoland medical schools say repeatedly that food service jobs are particularly desirable. Plus, as a store supervisor I'm assuming you were overseeing other people + more responsibility, yes?

Great you said this. I know you meant to talk to the OP but sorry if I interrupted. I was a chef in my dad's food vending machine and I would watch how other workers work and tell them what's right and wrong. Hope that's a good thing then.

I think work is looked at positively in the application. I worked with my dad for 4+ years to help the home financial situation and while I managed to do decent EC, I still mentioned that I worked with my dad. If it doesn't relate to medicine, at least it develops your personal and communication skills! It is not all about medicine. Adcom like to see well rounded individuals who can carry a conversation.

But what EC have you done?

Umm i have 50+ hrs in hospital volunteering
president of a donation organization at my university
shadowed a family doc for a month
play soccer at a club
100 hrs in tutoring math and chem

that seems so little to me .. and i have only 2 semesters left til i apply

yes thats exactly what i did. watch people do the right thing :thumbup:

Great you said this. I know you meant to talk to the OP but sorry if I interrupted. I was a chef in my dad's food vending machine and I would watch how other workers work and tell them what's right and wrong. Hope that's a good thing then.

I'd probably word it differently, but yeah, something to that effect. Blahblahblah working with people blahblahblah providing service to customers blahblahblah. :p

It's incredibly easy and common to get all worked up about what you don't have vs. what you do have. Try to focus on what you can do while maintaining your scores/grades and you should be fine.

Umm i have 50+ hrs in hospital volunteering
president of a donation organization at my university
shadowed a family doc for a month
play soccer at a club
100 hrs in tutoring math and chem

that seems so little to me .. and i have only 2 semesters left til i apply

I think that's pretty decent EC right there. Don't even worry; with the fact that you worked 40+ and still were able to do these EC, it shows your motivation and I think you are fine.

I'd probably word it differently, but yeah, something to that effect. Blahblahblah working with people blahblahblah providing service to customers blahblahblah. :p

It's incredibly easy and common to get all worked up about what you don't have vs. what you do have. Try to focus on what you can do while maintaining your scores/grades and you should be fine.

Haha, how would you word it differently ? :D I know I suck at English but it's my second language.

Haha, how would you word it differently ? :D I know I suck at English but it's my second language.

PM me with the job description and we'll talk :)

I've never had a formal job besides tutoring, however I'm one of of those people who struggles to juggle a bunch of things at once. Basically managing research, classes, volunteering, tutoring, and soon mcat prep is extremely hard for me.

I have heard from the dean at one of the Chicagoland medical schools say repeatedly that food service jobs are particularly desirable.

I've heard the same thing