Worker's Compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkpa2med

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does somebody start to take care of Worker's Compensation patients in their office?

Members don't see this ad.

How does somebody start to take care of Worker's Compensation patients in their office?

first, look in the mirror. if you see a someone who likes torture, then you are ready to go.

Depending on the state it can pay really well or really poorly. There is almost always extra paperwork involved. The pt, the employer, and the ins company will want you to fill out a million forms above and beyond your typical OV note.

If you work on salary of RVUs it is not very attractive. If you are PP in a state where it mays well then it may be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard the biggest problem is if you don't see many WC patients then the extra paperwork is the problem. Do you feel that wouldn't be the case if your practice is dedicated to this system?

Comp is a rule-driven system. Once you and your staff learn the rules, it is not difficult. Learning curve can be steep, however.

I've heard the biggest problem is if you don't see many WC patients then the extra paperwork is the problem. Do you feel that wouldn't be the case if your practice is dedicated to this system?

this is true, as is dealing with secondary gain and case managers who come to appointments and eff things up for you.

HOWEVER, I personally love work comp. It is greater than 50% of my patient volume, and by communicating well with both industry and with insurers, I am now the "company doc" at two industries in my town. That allows other revenue streams (fitness for duty, hearing/respiratory evals) for which the industry pays at the time of service (usually with a CC).

I agree with ampaphb that the learning curve is steep

this is true, as is dealing with secondary gain and case managers who come to appointments and eff things up for you.

HOWEVER, I personally love work comp. It is greater than 50% of my patient volume, and by communicating well with both industry and with insurers, I am now the "company doc" at two industries in my town. That allows other revenue streams (fitness for duty, hearing/respiratory evals) for which the industry pays at the time of service (usually with a CC).

I agree with ampaphb that the learning curve is steep

You do hearing and respiratory evals? As in you test their ears and their lungs? This is a regular WC thing?

You do hearing and respiratory evals? As in you test their ears and their lungs? This is a regular WC thing?

no -- This is occupational medicine.
I analyze the PFT's for respiratory "fit tests" (ensuring people have adequate pulmonary function to wear respirators at work-usually SCBA)

I also evaluate the "work relatedness" of hearing loss when people have hearing shifts noticed on yearly hearing tests (done at the plant). In 3yrs I have never had someone have a work related hearing loss.

I also have taken a MRO course to allow me to analyze employer drug testing.

While these three things are primarily "occupational medicine". In areas that have no real OccMed docs, the companies look for the next best thing. These are easy to learn (assuming you remember any of your pulmonary physiology) and help supplement income.