Working 12 hrs a week during M1 and M2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello! I'm going to be a M1 this fall and am wondering if it would be worth it or feasible to work 10-12 hours a week (remotely, I set my own schedule) for the first two years of med school to supplement my loans? Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I tried working in a restaurant and it was not worth it . I guess it depends on how much you make . ... generally not recommended , but if you make a lot I guess it is worth trying .

Reactions: 1 user
I'd generally say no (I think some school's even have rules against this.) Between class and studying, school will already be more hours than most full-time jobs. Putting another 10-12 hours of work on top of this doesn't seem wise. It's 10-12 hours that could be spent studying, engaging in an activity that could help strengthen your profile, or even just resting to help prevent burnout. Not to mention, the amount of money you'd make in most part time jobs is going to be so small in comparison to the size of your loan that it's basically immaterial.

I guess there are occasional exceptions. I know someone who's an RN who picks up shifts. I think the flexibility of that plus the fact that the hourly pay is sufficiently high makes that make sense for her.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
listen, when you start school, you will know. Maybe your job will give you a break that you will actually look forward to. Maybe you will feel - there will be a moment, that you realize that you want to do only school. Just trust yourself, and you will know.

Reactions: 4 users
I did it. Was worth it for me. But I was paid great money in cash where I set my exact hours and the time I spent doubled as a workout. Paid for a semester by doing this during M1/2 and 4. Anything that you don't have 100% control over and/or don't get paid pretty well will be hard to justify on top of studies, but there are circumstances where it can work.

Reactions: 3 users
I did it. Was worth it for me. But I was paid great money in cash where I set my exact hours and the time I spent doubled as a workout. Paid for a semester by doing this during M1/2 and 4. Anything that you don't have 100% control over and/or don't get paid pretty well will be hard to justify on top of studies, but there are circumstances where it can work.
yes, yours sounds like a great deal. Mine, on the other hand, was a low paying restaurant job, and every time i was there, i kept thinking how much more i could have done at home, you know? one time my classmate came over for dinner with his friends, he just looked at me and asked why i was doing this to myself... and that was the moment when i realized that i really didnt want to.
But it is definitely different for everyone.

I thought about doing it as a RT back in the day, easily could have clocked $300 a shift but ultimately it wasn't worth the hassle

Sure. Think of M1 especially as a 40 hr per week job(M2 may be different as you add in boards prep). 12 on top of that is still only 52. Add in extracurriculars, research etc and you still probably average out to less than 9 hours a day of actual work over a 7 day week. Be organized, manage your time, and stick to a schedule and you'll be fine.

The real question is how much you make per hour and whether or not the 12 hours is worth it.

Reactions: 3 users

What'd you do? Sounds like a great situation

I worked a bit during M1 (very inconsistent hours - anywhere from 0-15ish hours per week? most often ~6-8). It was fun and earned me some beer money while allowing me to participate in an otherwise expensive hobby of mine for free, but I eventually gave it up. I probably could have maintained it if I was really determined, but stopped being worth it for me after a while.

Look into something flexible and high-paying. You can tutor test prep online or in-person for $45+/hr (MCAT/GRE/SAT/ACT/etc) easily. You control your hours and would be making far more than minimum wage, meaning you also wouldn't necessarily have to work as much.

I worked during the preclinic years. It was worth it to me. You can do it if you are on top of things

Hello! I'm going to be a M1 this fall and am wondering if it would be worth it or feasible to work 10-12 hours a week (remotely, I set my own schedule) for the first two years of med school to supplement my loans? Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!
Recipe for disaster, unless you are master at time mgt.

Your school might very well have polices against your working.

In general it’s not a good idea. If possible, try going the first few months without it and see how you do. If you’re crushing the tests and have oodles of free time then you can probably handle it. If you’re in the group of students who has to work at the peak of your abilities just to barely pass, maybe the job isn’t doable. If you’re eyeing a highly competitive residency then you’ll likely need the time to study and ensure you’re a top student.

I would also point out that M1 at most schools starts slow and ramps up. The beginning will have substantial review of basic undergrad material which could cloud your perception of the time required. Those early exams are also the “easy A” part of Med school that can help pad any lapses in the future.

I had classmates who underestimated the workload and bombed the first couple exams. I can’t imagine the stress of not only doing a 180 on your studying but also having to deliver above average performance just to avoid repeating the year. Not a situation you want to be in! If possible, give yourself enough time to feel out the workload before adding things.

Recipe for disaster, unless you are master at time mgt.

Your school might very well have polices against your working.
Yep. You'd have to be a master at time management, have an exceptional memory, and be an impressive person overall.

I was able to do it the first two years. Just weekend 8 hour shifts every other weekend or so. I have kids and needed the money so I prioritized that. I was also able to study at work, easy to do anki cards between patients and any low brain power busy work assignments. With kids at home I actually got more done at work than at home so there’s that aspect too. Bottom line is its definitely possible if permitted and depends on your outside responsibilities, Time management, and being self aware if it’s cutting into your school/ or work performance.

I was able to do it the first two years. Just weekend 8 hour shifts every other weekend or so. I have kids and needed the money so I prioritized that. I was also able to study at work, easy to do anki cards between patients and any low brain power busy work assignments. With kids at home I actually got more done at work than at home so there’s that aspect too. Bottom line is its definitely possible if permitted and depends on your outside responsibilities, Time management, and being self aware if it’s cutting into your school/ or work performance.
This definitely sounds like my situation. I have kids and needed the money. I had enough downtime at work that I was also able to study. A girl who graduated a year ahead of me and matched Derm, worked as a bartender on the weekends during the preclinic years. So it's possible, you just have to be good at time management.