Working and doing apps and taking classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eveshands

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a plate full. I am teaching full-time, taking Biochem to show off good grades at interviews, and trying to keep up with my application process, and my marriage and family and friends. All of this but not necessarily in that order everyday. Anyone have any suggestions to keep the stress level manageable?

Members don't see this ad.

Eveshands, I know exactly how you are feeling. That is what I went through last year plus my wife was pregnant. I would tell you just to look at the bigger picture. It can look pretty bad if you look at everything at once, but just take one thing at a time and use all the moments you have. Get the apps out of the way as quick as you can and you will feel your time open up. I was so relieved when those were done. It is a good feeling. Don't worry, you are not alone. There are a lot of us that went or are going through the same thing. Just work on the stuff you can get done quickly and then things will get better. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the identification. I really needed that. I am trying out a written schedule, and I let my husband know when a test is coming, and that I would like an extra set of arms for the time period before. So far we have not been overtaken by trash or dishes.LOL Thank you again. P.S. don't worry about varmints. we have house geckos.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eve I also know how you feel. I was taking my pre-recs (decided to go to med school after I finished up my bachelors), working 32+ hours a week at the hospital, also bartended about 15-20+ per week, and also had to be a husband and a father of three (soon to be four in another week!). Our two oldest are my wife's nieces that we are raising (they are 7 and 5). Our marriage has been rough.
What I found to be the best is assess your entire schedule for a week at a time. Look to see when you have free time, then you can pencil in extra things as you need to, like apps, family time, etc.
I did all my app stuff in the summer before, then filled out the secondary ones as they came in.
I got accepted to UHS for this fall, so we will see how things go this coming school year.
Never give up.....dont look at the big picture, just deal with the items at hand. And most importantly, find some time for yourself. I would go work out, or even my 30-min drive to work, was MY time! I could just relax and let my mind shut off for a bit (but still paying attention to the road).

If you want it bad enough, you will do it!!

Chris :p

Eveshands:

Try not to focus on all you have to do and take one thing at a time. When I was in college a Jesuit priest who was a great friend of mine said something to me that I remember when things seem overwhelming. I was complaining to him one day how the pre-med thing was so complicated and difficult. He simply replied to me, "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it". It made me realize that my hard work now will make my accomplishment of becoming a physician that much sweeter.

Hang in there....

1) Be organized

2) Set your priorities and stick to them

3) Have the wisdom to know when to violate rule #2

4) Learn to work smarter and not just harder...this is very difficult to master, but will come over time, esp once you are in!

I can completely relate to what you're saying...and, I hate to tell you that it will most likely get worse before it gets better. However, it is all a learning process and every one of us, traditional & non-traditional alike, have had to cope with this to some degree. Many many before you have done it. That means with patience, support and an open mind, you can do it too.

I wish you the best of luck & success!

I thank you all for the encouragement. I have interviews at OSUCOM and NYCOM in March. File is complete at Touro. Hope file is complete at NOVA, and will have three more apps in to meet my letters as of today. I am grateful for all of the support here.