working as a dental assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi
even I am a foreign trained dentist.I am sorry for asking a stupid question, but what is a coronal polishing certificate and sealant certificate.

Members don't see this ad.

mkt said:
Hi Aspita,
Thanks for the information.I am on F1 visa in chicago,kindly tell me how i can get a work permit if I were to take the coronal polishing course & land a job as a dental assistant while preparing for my boards. how do you look for jobs once you get the certificates from this course.do you contact indian dentists?Does the pay vary in downtown & suburbs?kindly guide.This would be very helpful.Thanks.

SORRY Ican't help u with the work permit question. I found my jobs at the chicago tribune and daily herald. I'm from south america so I didn't contact indian dentist :p . Now about the pay yes, it varies ,you really want to work in the suburbs (Northwest if you ask me) they also pay really good at offices in michigan av downtown chicago but they are fast pace and if this is your first job as a DA I will certainly not recomend you to work there. Hope this helps :luck:

chandalada said:
Hi
even I am a foreign trained dentist.I am sorry for asking a stupid question, but what is a coronal polishing certificate and sealant certificate.
No question is stupid. ;) This is a certificate for Illinois that allows you to do the polishing for a profilaxis and to place sealants. Is very helpful specially if you work as a Pediatric DA or Ortho assistant. Of course the payis a little better :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
chandalada said:
Hi
No question is stupid. ;) This is a certificate for Illinois that allows you to do the polishing for a profilaxis and to place sealants. Is very helpful specially if you work as a Pediatric DA or Ortho assistant. Of course the payis a little better :luck:

Hi Aspita,
can u tell me if the coronal certi/sealant certi are required only in Illinois..or is it a requirement in other US states too...I am in texas.....
richa

hi Aspita,
Thankyou for the kind reply.Is there a number I can call you at to clear my doubts about various aspects in finding a job.Kindly help as this would be very much appreciated. thanks.you can pm me if you feel like it.Thanks again for your kind reply.Awaiting to hear from you,as I'm truly confused about the job scene & desperately need to find one for myself.Thanks.
Aspita said:
SORRY Ican't help u with the work permit question. I found my jobs at the chicago tribune and daily herald. I'm from south america so I didn't contact indian dentist :p . Now about the pay yes, it varies ,you really want to work in the suburbs (Northwest if you ask me) they also pay really good at offices in michigan av downtown chicago but they are fast pace and if this is your first job as a DA I will certainly not recomend you to work there. Hope this helps :luck:

mkt said:
hi Aspita,
Thankyou for the kind reply.Is there a number I can call you at to clear my doubts about various aspects in finding a job.Kindly help as this would be very much appreciated. thanks.you can pm me if you feel like it.Thanks again for your kind reply.Awaiting to hear from you,as I'm truly confused about the job scene & desperately need to find one for myself.Thanks.

Hi colleagues,i would you please share me your Experience in finding a job as dental assis. since it is becomming difficult for an foreign trainted dentist to fined one......(Experience,...... other issues..that you know.. :oops:

your help is really appreciated...and sure you can perso.mail me.

richa sharma said:
Hi Aspita,
can u tell me if the coronal certi/sealant certi are required only in Illinois..or is it a requirement in other US states too...I am in texas.....
richa
It is not required in Illinois in order to work as a DA it is optional. In Illinois there's pretty much not requirements to work as a DA.

mkt said:
hi Aspita,

You can PM me with any question you have. do you live in Illinois? 'cause I am not well informed about other states.

vertical bite said:
usually 11 to start out.

depends which state you are in and if in a rural area.

some cities its up to 16 an hour.

not bad to sit and watch someone else do the hard work.

I work as a dental assistant and get paid $15/hr. 4 and a half days a week.
but I have a friend in NY hwo works as a DA for $9/hr.
I dont know why it is.but dont u think its too low.

tiyakapoor said:
I work as a dental assistant and get paid $15/hr. 4 and a half days a week.
but I have a friend in NY hwo works as a DA for $9/hr.
I dont know why it is.but dont u think its too low.
hi,
Where are u located? Did u have any previous working experience (as a DA) before applying for that job? Is it in a specialty office?

I just went to a job interview in which I was told I would be paid $10/hour if I was hired to work as a DA. That was for a part time DA job in Los Angeles . It is worth noting that I don't have the radiation safety certificate but I was willing to take the course asap.

Anyways I don't think I will be hired!

Hi, there.

I got a job as DA . Starts at $9.5/hour in San Diego,CA.It's in a general practice office, fast pace. I have X-ray certificate, but no polishing certificate, and no experience as DA. I think the pay is low, since this is the first job I get, I didn't argue with them.

By the way, they let me do polishing with out certificate. Of course I have no problem to do that. But, do you think it is right?

xuhaifeng said:
Hi, there.

I got a job as DA . Starts at $9.5/hour in San Diego,CA.It's in a general practice office, fast pace. I have X-ray certificate, but no polishing certificate, and no experience as DA. I think the pay is low, since this is the first job I get, I didn't argue with them.

By the way, they let me do polishing with out certificate. Of course I have no problem to do that. But, do you think it is right?
hi,
I heard that legally only RDA can do coronal polishing, that's y I think they usually prefer RDA. However they more work they let u do , the best for u. Don't forget that u are gaining experience.
i just want to ask u how u got the x-ray certificate before u started working?
I wanted to take that course before applying for the DA job, but during the course they expect me to submit 3 full mouth x-rays that I took in the dental office where I work. What if I don't work? What if no body wants to hire me if I don't have that certificate?

futurdentist said:
hi,
I heard that legally only RDA can do coronal polishing, that's y I think they usually prefer RDA. However they more work they let u do , the best for u. Don't forget that u are gaining experience.
I wanted to take that course before applying for the DA job, but during the course they expect me to submit 3 full mouth x-rays that I took in the dental office where I work. What if I don't work? What if no body wants to hire me if I don't have that certificate?
I live in san fran,CA.i STARTED WORKING WITH A DENTIST IN MARCH.THAT TIME THEY WERE PAYING ME $13.i JUST MOVED TO A NEW PLACE WHICH IS JUST 5 MIN DRIVE FROM MY HOUSE AND i GET $15...ITS 8.30 TO 4.30 AND THE BEST PART IS THEY DINT EVEN ASK ME TO GET X RAY CERTIFICATION OR CORONAL POLISHING CERTIFICATE.
i WORK THERE AND DO EVERYTHING A DA DOES.
TIYA :p

tiyakapoor said:
I live in san fran,CA.i STARTED WORKING WITH A DENTIST IN MARCH.THAT TIME THEY WERE PAYING ME $13.i JUST MOVED TO A NEW PLACE WHICH IS JUST 5 MIN DRIVE FROM MY HOUSE AND i GET $15...ITS 8.30 TO 4.30 AND THE BEST PART IS THEY DINT EVEN ASK ME TO GET X RAY CERTIFICATION OR CORONAL POLISHING CERTIFICATE.
i WORK THERE AND DO EVERYTHING A DA DOES.
TIYA :p
hi tiya
iam on my f-1 status can i also work as a dental assistant?are u on which visa since ur working as a dental assistant
thanks

nmas6 said:
hi tiya
iam on my f-1 status can i also work as a dental assistant?are u on which visa since ur working as a dental assistant
thanks
hi..
I have a green card and my citizenship is in process.well for a DA, visa doesnt really matter.may be the work permit matters.I really dint have any problem with anything.well I know a lot of people who are on F1 and working with the dentists.but they are in NY.just that I think they pay them cash than check or auto pay.I dont really know much.
tiya

futurdentist said:
hi,

The school I attended let me use their machine to take the 4 sets of x-rays. What I did was taking three friends and my husband's x-ray there.