working as a dental assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i was wondering if anyone has any idea what is the minumum to maximum hourly rate that a dental assistant earns

Members don't see this ad.

toothie said:
hi
i was wondering if anyone has any idea what is the minumum to maximum hourly rate that a dental assistant earns

$12 to $16 per hour.
Iam not very sure.

does any one have an idea , if a dentist with a foreign degree, can work as a dental assistant, where and how ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup you could...I did but i dont see why you'd do so since it doesn't pay much...you can work as long as the office doesn?t require a license, but you ought to get an X-ray license and coronal polishing it helps a lot?

toothie said:
hi
it depends, but generally you would start with 8 to 10$.

dbrainsurgeon said:
Yup you could...I did but i dont see why you'd do so since it doesn't pay much...you can work as long as the office doesn?t require a license, but you ought to get an X-ray license and coronal polishing it helps a lot?

Atleast the experiance counts.. rather than sitting home and not doing anything....
thanks for ure input
toothie

Sharat chandra said:
does any one have an idea , if a dentist with a foreign degree, can work as a dental assistant, where and how ?

yup a international trained dentist can work as a dental asssitant. ask any dentist near you .. if they are need a dental assistant..

toothie said:
yup a international trained dentist can work as a dental asssitant. ask any dentist near you .. if they are need a dental assistant..

Hi , I am a foreign trained dentist working as a dental assistant for the past 18 months.. The way I found the job was in the newspaper, and then I submitted my resume and cover letter, got an interview, and then got the job.
Try to find jobs posted in your local newspaper and apply to them, do not forget that you have to have a working permit, otherwise they will not hire you at all.
In your resume try to be simple but impresive at the same time, and be prepare for possible interview by the phone first, and if they like you enough they might call you for a personal interview at their office. Be prepare to answer questions as ...How come are you in the United States?.....For how long would you be able to stay in the job?...this is important because Dentists want someone that will stay with them for at least a year.
If you are not planing to stay in the job for more than a year, maybe it would be better to call a dentist and ask him to let you watch instead of working there.

Hope this helps. Good luck

can any one explain the ways of getting a dental assistant job for an international dentist.

Hi black bear,
i read ur reply its really helpful
i have an interview on friday as an dental assistant .i iwanna know wt are the other possible questions they might ask..in the interview..i am a dentist from india...giving my part 1 ....wanna work parttime...so,
plz do reply..
thanks

black bear said:
Hi , I am a foreign trained dentist working as a dental assistant for the past 18 months.. The way I found the job was in the newspaper, and then I submitted my resume and cover letter, got an interview, and then got the job.
Try to find jobs posted in your local newspaper and apply to them, do not forget that you have to have a working permit, otherwise they will not hire you at all.
In your resume try to be simple but impresive at the same time, and be prepare for possible interview by the phone first, and if they like you enough they might call you for a personal interview at their office. Be prepare to answer questions as ...How come are you in the United States?.....For how long would you be able to stay in the job?...this is important because Dentists want someone that will stay with them for at least a year.
If you are not planing to stay in the job for more than a year, maybe it would be better to call a dentist and ask him to let you watch instead of working there.

Hope this helps. Good luck

dentb'lore said:
Hi black bear,
i read ur reply its really helpful
i have an interview on friday as an dental assistant .i iwanna know wt are the other possible questions they might ask..in the interview..i am a dentist from india...giving my part 1 ....wanna work parttime...so,
plz do reply..
thanks

hello dentb'lore
Concerning some other questions they migth ask you , I remember they asked me if I was going to practice someday, for how long I was going to stay in the area, if I could do some front desk work, if I could use the computer's programs, etc. You might be interviewed not only by the dentist but also by the staff because the staff "has to like you" to work "with you". Be aware of that.
Dress nicely, nothing too showish, practice your answers and make one or two questions to your interviewer, such us : how many patients do you see in a day? Do you see a lot of kids?
At the time you negociate your salary wait and see what he offers or if he asks you how much you want to earn, give a range ( 10-13 dollars/hour) plus benefits if you are eligible.

If you want to work only part time, you could be beneficial to him in that he doesn't have to pay you any benefits because you do not work enough hours to be eligible.
That is all I can think about now.
Try not to be nervous, and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Hi
Thanks a lot for ur reply...
iam much confident now...
will let u know aft my interview..
thanks once again..
bye.

black bear said:
hello dentb'lore
Concerning some other questions they migth ask you , I remember they asked me if I was going to practice someday, for how long I was going to stay in the area, if I could do some front desk work, if I could use the computer's programs, etc. You might be interviewed not only by the dentist but also by the staff because the staff "has to like you" to work "with you". Be aware of that.
Dress nicely, nothing too showish, practice your answers and make one or two questions to your interviewer, such us : how many patients do you see in a day? Do you see a lot of kids?
At the time you negociate your salary wait and see what he offers or if he asks you how much you want to earn, give a range ( 10-13 dollars/hour) plus benefits if you are eligible.

If you want to work only part time, you could be beneficial to him in that he doesn't have to pay you any benefits because you do not work enough hours to be eligible.
That is all I can think about now.
Try not to be nervous, and hope for the best.

Good luck.

dentb'lore said:
Hi
Thanks a lot for ur reply...
iam much confident now...
will let u know aft my interview..
thanks once again..
bye.

Hi!

I was looking at all your posts, and it looks like I could find an alternate to complaining about the IDP fees.... I was hoping I could get a P/T job as a DA, but am slightly unsure bout how I could apply, and what I could put in my resume. Any suggestions would be welcome....

Members don't see this ad :)
saladi said:
Hi!

I was looking at all your posts, and it looks like I could find an alternate to complaining about the IDP fees.... I was hoping I could get a P/T job as a DA, but am slightly unsure bout how I could apply, and what I could put in my resume. Any suggestions would be welcome....

one way to search for posts is the local newspaper ads , or u cld register in
www.careerbuilder.com ...registration is free and they send u email updates
whenever there is an opening ! initially pay is only abt $8 to $10 ..depends from place to place and the dentist too ..sometimes they ask if you are certified..
it helps if u have a work permit ..hope this helps

aniravi said:
one way to search for posts is the local newspaper ads , or u cld register in
www.careerbuilder.com ...registration is free and they send u email updates
whenever there is an opening ! initially pay is only abt $8 to $10 ..depends from place to place and the dentist too ..sometimes they ask if you are certified..
it helps if u have a work permit ..hope this helps

Thanks Aniravi

That helps a lot...

-Saladi

I too am in the process of finding a job as dental assistant. I attended an interview last week and the dentist told me that I was too qualified for the offered position. What does that mean ? I am a dentist and am still willing to work as DA coz I do not have a license.But he made me feel as if having the experience has negative effect on my resume. Gl to all those trying to find a job.

hi sreshta,
i understand they say that........but most of the time they will hire u coz u r over qualified for the job, basically the truth is here a person who needs to b a dental assistant will b trained by the doctor most of the time who is hiring them .......that time is saved by the doctor if they hire people like us .......and v need not know much abt dental materials coz v r familiar with them except the one used in US and the most recently used one. I had only a training period of around 15 days to the maximum not more than that. That time was to cop up with the speed of dentistry being practised in US thats all.Now i think iam doing fine and i hav been working like around 7 months......So u can keep trying for it......definitely ull b getting it.......

hope this helps.
bye
cheers.....

Hello everyone,

I am also trying for a DA position and i attended an interview 3 weeks back, but didnt hear from them, when i called, the doctor told me that she hired someone who is a certified DA and she said me to keep in touch with her, coz eventually she'll be retiring some day and i can purchase her practice. This is the exacct answer i ended up with following my DA position.

I felt that she is trying to point out that i'm over qualified for the job. I dont know what to do? Do i have to modify my reume. Any input regarding how to find DA position is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Listen, this worked out for me very good 'cause they called me back from every enterview I had. Don't try to impress them with what you know (even tought u may know a lot more than them) Just Tell them how great they are, how great dentistry is in USA and that you have so much to learn, and you would like to learn it from them. Believe it, it always works! American Pride!! Take advantage of it and along the way they will realize how smart you are. In my fisrt Job I got 3 Raises in 4 months. I not longer work there but they still call me to do some lab work or just to help them out.

Hi,
I agree with aspita. They are looking for a dental assistant and not a dentist.So you should tell them the way u can use ur training for the DA job.Do not try to emphasize ur work experience as a dentist coz the employers feel it may cause friction with your colleagues beacuse U are more experienced and knowledgeable.Just paly it down.Gl

is any one working in MD as a dental assistant and if so can anyone help me with any info, regarding rules, requirements and also steps to be a registered DA in MD,
Thanks

sreshta said:
I too am in the process of finding a job as dental assistant. I attended an interview last week and the dentist told me that I was too qualified for the offered position. What does that mean ? I am a dentist and am still willing to work as DA coz I do not have a license.But he made me feel as if having the experience has negative effect on my resume. Gl to all those trying to find a job.

I think most Dentists have low expectations of a DA. First and foremost they simply want someone that is reliable, and easily trainable. The fact that you are a trained dentist isn't useful to them. They don't need your extra training.
What they need is that you are X-ray certified, any other certifications are good too. Certification programs are usually cheap($100-200) and 2-3 weeks long.

The best thing to tell them is that you are a foreign trained Dentist, and would like to work in their office in some capacity until you are able to get into a Dental school. That way they will likely decide to help you, other wise it will seem strange that you want to settle for a DA position.

My advice:

1) Get certified in Dental Radiography. Call your State Dental Assoc. or visit their website to find out how.

2)Tell them you are trying to get into a Dental program somewhere. So they understand your position. Don't approach them as a dentist, but as a Grad student, looking for experience working with US dentists. Otherwise they may think you have too much expectations from them. They just want an assistant , not an associate.

3) No need to show off your advanced knowledge, not becasue of "egos" but because it is of no use to them. You cannot do any work that you are not certified to do.

Goodluck :)

denzel said:
is any one working in MD as a dental assistant and if so can anyone help me with any info, regarding rules, requirements and also steps to be a registered DA in MD,
Thanks

Maryland: You don't need to be certified to assist, but you do if you want to take X-rays or any thing advanced.

In the Newspaper job listings, the dentist will state if they want you to be certified or if they will train you. Maryland State Dental Assoc. offers certification courses in Dental Radiography as well as expanded functions Certificatio for DAs

I live and work in NJ and i know they need an x-ray liscence BUT , some dentists might not need it.In NY you dont need to have it. My advice to all of you DONT mention to them that you have been accepted to dental school and you will be joining because they dont like that. just say that you have applied and you wont be joining this year and give them whatever reason. About payment its about 12-16 in NY & NJ

toothie said:
hi

usually 11 to start out.

depends which state you are in and if in a rural area.

some cities its up to 16 an hour.

not bad to sit and watch someone else do the hard work.

caninus_molarus said:
it depends, but generally you would start with 8 to 10$.

no god, not that low.

where are you quoting ???

hi ,
i totally agree with u guys, always keep a low profile though v might b dentists in our home land, v hav nothing to do here , just make them comfortable by saying ur a responsible and r looking forward to work ......thats all they need ....

bye
cheers.......

Aspita said:
Listen, this worked out for me very good 'cause they called me back from every enterview I had. Don't try to impress them with what you know (even tought u may know a lot more than them) Just Tell them how great they are, how great dentistry is in USA and that you have so much to learn, and you would like to learn it from them. Believe it, it always works! American Pride!! Take advantage of it and along the way they will realize how smart you are. In my fisrt Job I got 3 Raises in 4 months. I not longer work there but they still call me to do some lab work or just to help them out.

HI Aspita,
Thts a gr8 thing ur doing. Is it mandatory to have a Work permit or ppl on H4 can take this post too? How many hrs a day do u work & r u studing for NBDE also? DId u work at an indian dentist or someone frm here?
THnx
drsj

drsj said:
HI Aspita,
Thts a gr8 thing ur doing. Is it mandatory to have a Work permit or ppl on H4 can take this post too? How many hrs a day do u work & r u studing for NBDE also? DId u work at an indian dentist or someone frm here?
THnx
drsj
Well, I live in Illinois here you need a work permit. But you don't need to be a certified DA or Rx certificate to take Rx. My Doctors payed for my coronal polishing and sealants certificate ($600).

Hi all,
I live in NY now preparing for part 1.In the meantime I also thought of working as a DA.But for me I thought its not that easy since for x-ray certificate they are asking to submit certificate I-III[it seems x-ray cert.is 4].Also for coronal polishing they r asking for experience of 1 yr.In such cases how did u guys apply & how do u work?
I'm confused!Any other job for us guys[profession related-without DDS?]
Plz let me know ur suggestions.
Thanx

can anyone tell me how to go about work permit for dental assistance, i am still a MPH student in philadelphia.

hey,if u did that way that's good,but I didn't feel ur suggestion as "kidding"

now for real. Don't forget that after you finish your school you have the right to work for a year after that here. So, I recommend to find a job where u can show ur skills and then ask them to sponsor you for a work visa.I have a friend who s doing that, we'll se how it goes. Her working permit expires this june along with hwr student visa.

another thing, if is ur firt assisting job look for the "not experience required" 'cause assisting can e a little different than doing the work by urself and will give you the confidence to get a better job!

All those starting school this year,please read and reply to the "Universal 2007 Acceptance Thread" started by yours truly.

Thanks

with SOOO many 'dental/medical assistant' technical institutes opened, there will be 1000 DA for every dentist soon. its ridiculous. so yes, the pay is 8-10$ starting without experience. FL is loaded with DA. how can you demand more without experience. and its risky for the dentist since you do plan to leave. and training a new assistant every year isnt exactly profitable.

ive met people who are DA certified, and they do other work, since the pay was so dissapointing.

go in humble, and say you just started studying. :luck:

hi
lifes a struggle

Some people have asked me about Coronal Polishing and Sealant certificate for Illinois so I thought about posting the information here it is:
ILLINOIS DENTAL INSTITUTE
P.O. BOX 9319 NAPERVILLE, IL 60567
PHONE: 630 726 2000
FAX 630 922 1186
IS $300 FOR EACH CERTIFICATE, you can get both at the same time is held in one day for 8 hours, 4 hours theory and the afternoon is practice in usually in a hotel or in A dental office. after that they give you your polishing certificate and for the sealant one you have to do six sealants before the certificate the doctor that you work for have to sign a form as a witness that you performed the sealants :rolleyes: It is very very easy and basic! But is worth it 'cause if you have those certificates in Illinois they pay you a lot more! Good luck y'all!!! :thumbup:

hi everyone... i'm new here...
i 'm wondering if anyone is from south America?... i am a dentist and i got an offer to work in a dental office in Georgia (as a dental assistent).... the doctor asked me to pass NBDE part1... i am preparing for that (at kaplan center in my hometown)... after i read all questions and answers in this forum i got confused.... could anyone could help me out here, please?... so... is it nessessary to get a license for DA?.... is it nessessary to take NBDE1?....
(of couse my goal is to work some day as a dentist but i know it is very difficult for trained foreing dentist... takes a lot of time, study and MONEY$$$... so i think my first goal is to work with him as a DA)
he said something about a sponsor my visa... by the way i will have to travel to USA for taking NBDE and for the interview with the dentist....
if it is not nessary to take the NBDE.... why he said so?... what are the responsabilities for a DA?
SORRY for all my questions... i hope someone can help me... thanks in advanced

odontoV said:
hi everyone... i'm new here...
i 'm wondering if anyone is from south America?... i am a dentist and i got an offer to work in a dental office in Georgia (as a dental assistent).... the doctor asked me to pass NBDE part1... i am preparing for that (at kaplan center in my hometown)... after i read all questions and answers in this forum i got confused.... could anyone could help me out here, please?... so... is it nessessary to get a license for DA?.... is it nessessary to take NBDE1?....
(of couse my goal is to work some day as a dentist but i know it is very difficult for trained foreing dentist... takes a lot of time, study and MONEY$$$... so i think my first goal is to work with him as a DA)
he said something about a sponsor my visa... by the way i will have to travel to USA for taking NBDE and for the interview with the dentist....
if it is not nessary to take the NBDE.... why he said so?... what are the responsabilities for a DA?
SORRY for all my questions... i hope someone can help me... thanks in advanced

as far as i know ..
u dont need a liscence to work as a DA.maybe he will sponser ure visa thus he wants u to do extra stuff ???? u could probabaly ask him directly , why he wants u to do it.
another thing check the state laws for working as a DA in Georgia..... as far as i knew in the state of florida u are allowed to work as a dental HYGIENST if u pass ure boards.....
i dont know why the dentist ure working with wants u to pass NBDE part 1.
but do well in ure part 1 so that u can try for admission to the Advanced standing DDS/DMD programme for international students.
to get ure DDS/DMD degree here it does take time , money and studies but its not impossibe.
u may need to get a certificate for Coronal Polishing and Sealant applicationa nd a certificate for X rays... u get paid better if u have these certificates when working as a DA..... but its not a neccesity....
after clearing ure part 1..get a high score and apply for admission.... its 2 yrs after that in most universities....
where as money is concerned.. loan with a co signer is the way out...
hope this kinda answered ure questions

toothie said:
as far as i know ..

as far as i knew in the state of florida u are allowed to work as a dental HYGIENST if u pass ure boards.....

u may need to get a certificate for Coronal Polishing and Sealant applicationa nd a certificate for X rays... u get paid better if u have these certificates when working as a DA..... but its not a neccesity....
after clearing ure part 1..get a high score and apply for admission.... its 2 yrs after that in most universities....
where as money is concerned.. loan with a co signer is the way out...
hope this kinda answered ure questions

Hi Toothie,
1. What are the visa requirements to work as a DA? Is it possiblt to work as an DA in florida on an H4 visa? Is it possible in any other US state? Have you heard of dentists who are willing to sponsor your h1 if you sign a contract to work with them for a year or so?
2. What are the visa requirements for a foreign dentist to work as a dental hygenist in florida (i hrd that only GC holders can get away with clearing NDBs and not having to do a DH course).
3. What are the visa requirements to do polishing/materials certification courses?

Thanks in advance.

faith25 said:
just say that you have applied and you wont be joining this year and give them whatever reason. About payment its about 12-16 in NY & NJ
Does anybody know how much salary to expect in los angeles?
Thanks!

Another Question,

Are you paid better if u work for a specialist than if u work for a general practitioner?

Thanks!

Iam presently on a f1 status doing my masters in georgia. i would like to work as a dental assistant. could you please let me know visa issues related to it.
thanks

I am presently on a f1 status doing my masters in georgia. i would like to work as a dental assistant. could you please let me know visa issues related to it.
thanks

futurdentist said:
Another Question,

Are you paid better if u work for a specialist than if u work for a general practitioner?

Thanks!
I guess so. Although I haven't landed a job yet, I have had several interviews.An oral surgen's office I was interviewed offered starting saray at $12/hr.and some other General practitioners's offer were lower than $10/hr. But even I'm ready to accept whatever the payments, there is no offer for me yet. :confused:

denzel said:
Thanks

I want to know the requirements needed to work as DA in MD.Any foreign trained dentist in MD working as DA?coz i'm foreign trained dentist
:)

Hello,Plse let me know whether a foreign trained dentist is eligible to work as
DA in MD.

Hi Aspita,
Thanks for the information.I am on F1 visa in chicago,kindly tell me how i can get a work permit if I were to take the coronal polishing course & land a job as a dental assistant while preparing for my boards. how do you look for jobs once you get the certificates from this course.do you contact indian dentists?Does the pay vary in downtown & suburbs?kindly guide.This would be very helpful.Thanks.