This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is this the normal amount of work a kennel tech gets?

• Total voters

Eprada

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I’m new to the forum but I just wanted to know of you guys’ experience.

I recently started a job as a kennel technician, and I have been feeling very under-appreciated and overworked.

My shift goes like this: I have to take out approx. 27 dogs to potty, clean each kennel (with water, soap, etc... even if they don’t look dirty), wash blankets and bowls and feed them. Then, I have to give them all their medicines. Then if there are baths, I have to give baths (Mondays are between 7 and 9 baths a day). Then, I check on the cats. Then, i take all the dogs out again, sweep and mop, poop scoop the yard, take out the trash and go home. This is all in the morning shift from 8am -12pm. So, 4 hours (most times I have to stay overtime). I am the only kennel tech in these shifts. But it is also my first time working as a kennel tech.

Is this the normal amount of work a kennel tech gets? Or is that too much?

I really would appreciate your answers.
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I worked as a kennel tech for 5 years (part time through high school and university), and that looks pretty similar to my work day! Except I worked 8 hours so my morning was similar to that, and afternoon was more exercising dogs and scooping yards. Then evening shifts which was like the morning in reverse. I remember it seemed overwhelming at first, but once you get a handle on a good routine and time management, its really enjoyable and decent animal experience!

Reactions: 1 user
That is pretty standard! I worked as a kennel technician in high school and was able to work myself up to a technician in college. If you want more experience it will come with time! Being a kennel technician is a great way to get animal experience as it will provide a gateway to new experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

I’m new to the forum but I just wanted to know of you guys’ experience.

I recently started a job as a kennel technician, and I have been feeling very under-appreciated and overworked.

My shift goes like this: I have to take out approx. 27 dogs to potty, clean each kennel (with water, soap, etc... even if they don’t look dirty), wash blankets and bowls and feed them. Then, I have to give them all their medicines. Then if there are baths, I have to give baths (Mondays are between 7 and 9 baths a day). Then, I check on the cats. Then, i take all the dogs out again, sweep and mop, poop scoop the yard, take out the trash and go home. This is all in the morning shift from 8am -12pm. So, 4 hours (most times I have to stay overtime). I am the only kennel tech in these shifts. But it is also my first time working as a kennel tech.

Is this the normal amount of work a kennel tech gets? Or is that too much?

I really would appreciate your answers.
Thanks!!

I’m assuming your planning on applying to vet school? While this might get your foot in the door, personally I would have had zero interest in cleaning cages for experience. To each their own, but definitely see if you can find an assistant job or shadow for true vet experience.

Reactions: 2 users
I worked briefly as a kennel attendant but it was overnight at an ER and felt more like a janitorial position. After having been a manager at a dog hotel it was a huge step down. For me, it wasn't worth it. I quit and quickly found an assistant job that was more along of what I wanted to do.

There will be vets out there who will take you on without experience. If that's what you would like, definitely keep an eye out on positions...I would recommend to use indeed or Craigslist

Definitely pretty standard kennel tech position in my experience.

For assistant positions, check the job board of your local vet tech school!!

The benefits of starting as a kennel associate at a hospital is that it gets your foot in the door into a vet related position that is sometimes hard to come by. Once you’re there, you might have a chance to move up. I was a kennel associate for a few months before becoming a veterinarian assistant and by the time I applied to vet school (this cycle) I have been at the same hospital for over 3 years, which showed consistency, as well as gave me a bunch of vet experience hours.

I’m assuming your planning on applying to vet school? While this might get your foot in the door, personally I would have had zero interest in cleaning cages for experience. To each their own, but definitely see if you can find an assistant job or shadow for true vet experience.

I was a kennel tech at a veterinary clinic. That is how I got my foot in the door. Granted the clinic I was at was not a boarding facility, but I was able to learn about veterinary medicine, learn some restraint, but my main job was cleaning and stocking the clinic. I did eventually move up from there into reception, then into veterinary assistant/tech for 7 years, then to vet school and now a graduated vet.

It can work to be a kennel tech at first, I wouldn't discard it. There is no guarantee of finding an assistant job or even a clinic to shadow in as a lot of clinics have strict rules regarding shadowing.

If this is just at a boarding facility that isn't a vet clinic, then yes, I agree try to find something else specifically with a veterinary clinic or a shadowing opportunity if you can. As just kennel work at a boarding facility is unlikely to help you too much. Will get you some animal experience but that is about it.

I was a kennel tech at a veterinary clinic. That is how I got my foot in the door. Granted the clinic I was at was not a boarding facility, but I was able to learn about veterinary medicine, learn some restraint, but my main job was cleaning and stocking the clinic. I did eventually move up from there into reception, then into veterinary assistant/tech for 7 years, then to vet school and now a graduated vet.

It can work to be a kennel tech at first, I wouldn't discard it. There is no guarantee of finding an assistant job or even a clinic to shadow in as a lot of clinics have strict rules regarding shadowing.

No you’re totally right, if it’s a good excuse to get your foot in the door (and maybe make a little money), then great. I guess I just feel like I see a lot of people on here and in life, taking kennel jobs that don’t really go anywhere into getting them decent experience, that’s more my point. If you want to go to vet school just make sure you’re working towards spending time in the clinic and not just the kennel.

Reactions: 1 users
This was essentially my first two years in a veterinary practice. It's great experience and if you keep at it, hopefully you'll start getting more medical responsibilities. I know it can be rough and a lot of times you'll feel undervalued, but kennel workers are the backbone of the clinic. Don't give up! You can do it! :giggle: