Working as a Medical Assistant in Cardiology clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gayhopefulnurse_93

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all! I've been lurking the forums, and I think it's my time to ask for advice now. I just landed a position with a Cardiology medical group, one that was willing to take me in and accommodate to my final semester in the fall before going full time in December. I'm really excited because this is my first real hands-on experience in the doctor's office, coming from a psychology background. I'm no Cardiology expert, but I do know the basics. What should I expect in a Cardiology clinic? Any words of wisdom? Btw, I'm planning to apply to either med school or nursing after a few years (3-5) because I need to gain experience and take my pre-reqs - trust me, I need those years after an awful burnout. Plus, it will buy me time to decide which path is right for me. Thanks, y'all!
 
I've never been a medical assistant, but I'd assume you'll be taking vitals, patient history, and probably some clerical work. This is a great time to practice your clinical skills and learn how to talk to patients, make them feel comfortable.

Aside from that I'm sure that if you hook a patient up to an ECG or something of the sort, you can probably ask the physician you're working with to explain what the peaks mean, how the read out works, etc. sounds like a good clinical experience!
 
Be comfortable doing phlebotomies and ECG's. Besides that, this is great clinical experience and you'll look good as an applicant 🙂