Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Working as a resident without a license?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by Rajshah, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Rajshah

Rajshah Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello,

I have been reviewing the fsmb website and licensure requirements.

Looking at it the boards require postgraduate training experience before granting a license.

So does that mean you can practice for a year or 2 as a resident without a medical license?? (that's my understanding)

Hence you can enter a residency program without a license then??

Many thanks for any advice (I am sorry if I am naive about this, but I am not used to the US application procedures)

RS

2. f_w

f_w 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

Sort of.

Depending on the state, you will either need:
    - no license (the hospital reports your name to the medical board and receives a blanket 'permit' for all their residents)
    - a 'graduate medical education license' or 'interns license' (you need to apply for it, your program director countersigns it to certify that you are accepted for the residency and you pay somewhere between $10 and $120 in fees)

The GME license is limited to work done under supervison AS A RESIDENT. So, you can't go out with it and 'moonlight' (work short term assignments that don't require a fully board certified physician). The paperwork is far less than a real license and it processes within a couple of weeks.

3. OP
    OP
    Rajshah

Rajshah Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the info

The process is begining to make sense :)