Working as a resident without a license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rajshah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been reviewing the fsmb website and licensure requirements.

Looking at it the boards require postgraduate training experience before granting a license.

So does that mean you can practice for a year or 2 as a resident without a medical license?? (that's my understanding)

Hence you can enter a residency program without a license then??

Many thanks for any advice (I am sorry if I am naive about this, but I am not used to the US application procedures)

RS

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

So does that mean you can practice for a year or 2 as a resident without a medical license?? (that's my understanding)

Hence you can enter a residency program without a license then??

Sort of.

Depending on the state, you will either need:
- no license (the hospital reports your name to the medical board and receives a blanket 'permit' for all their residents)
- a 'graduate medical education license' or 'interns license' (you need to apply for it, your program director countersigns it to certify that you are accepted for the residency and you pay somewhere between $10 and $120 in fees)

The GME license is limited to work done under supervison AS A RESIDENT. So, you can't go out with it and 'moonlight' (work short term assignments that don't require a fully board certified physician). The paperwork is far less than a real license and it processes within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the info

The process is begining to make sense :)