Working as an Emergency Physician in the Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

crewmaster1

Nattitwo
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am one of the senior residents at a US Emergency Medicine residency and I would be interested in working in the Caribbean for 1-3 years after graduation residency. I'm wondering if there are any SDN useres that would have any advice, opinions, or information regarding opportunities like this. Thanks.
 
I once worked with a UK pediatrician who got a gig on an island (one of the British West Indies, I think).

I imagine that as a licensed American ER doc, your prospects would be very good, as many islands get drs from all over the world for short-term positions. You can try contacting hospitals at islands that you're interested in. The America West Indies (St. Thomas, etc.) might be easiest since they're US territories. Those that belong to the British, French, etc., might have extra requirements. Finally, the independent islands would probably be easy to get a job at, since they tend to be 3rd-worldish places and have great need for drs.

Let me know how it goes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Chartero dude, I've read some of your posts on the SDN forum and I'm voting you as the most resourceful and well read pre-med I've seen on this site. Good for you with your embedded websites!
Ariee