Working as CC and anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x10694

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about critical care more and more as a fellowship choice and I have seen a lot of critical care intensivist on this forum. I am wondering if you guys work solely as an intensivist or do you try to juggle both like 1 week CCM: 3 weeks OR. I have seen a couple attendings doing this at my school. But doesn't know anyone who does that on a private setting. My question is can you work solely as an intensivist and because of shift work nature of critical care, can you also work in OR on part time basic or locum tenem basis ? Has anyone done this before? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I only know of two places with PP CCM anesthesiologists. One is a group that supports a couple of the partners who practice in the ICU. At one point the hospital need ICU docs, the group filled the need. The other, the group supported the arrangement for a while then the group ultimately the group wanted the partner to do a full time OR call schedule plus the unit. Partner said no, remained a per diem for the group and stayed in the unit.

PP groups exist. You probably won't find many common stories, but some are out there.

Thanks for answering. Is it possible to be an employee of a hospital working full time in ICU with one week on one week off and work for another employer with one week on one week off staggering two jobs like that. From my experience, not many employers like this type of arrangement but I have seen a few do this arrangement as a hospitalist. Is this possible as an anesthesiologist? ...

Anything is possible. If a private group values having a partner in the ICU, seeing that as adding more to what the group is able to provide, they'll probably be more flexible on that. Especially if the hospital subsidizing your ICU time.

If the group doesn't want to have one more mouth to feed, and see you taking less OR call, it might be difficult to impossible to make it work or ever become a partner.

Semper Gumbi.