Working at a Pharmacy while attending Pharmacy School....good or bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nparikh84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, forgive me if this question has already been posted but its something that i need an opinion on...

I'm just about to start Pharmacy school (MWU-CCP) and need to know if it's a good idea to simultaneously work at a local pharmacy. I don't live too far away from my school (probably 15 mins, maybe 40 with traffic) so I'm going to be commuting and i wanted to know how big a role that plays in attending pharmacy school. I used to work at the same pharmacy where I am being offered a job (again) and am wondering if its too much of a strain to ATTEND PHARMACY SCHOOL (AS A COMMUTER STUDENT), AND WORK AT A LOCAL PHARMACY . I'd like any and every opinion from people who are in the same situation and from those who already have experiences such as these.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nparikh84 said:
Hello, forgive me if this question has already been posted but its something that i need an opinion on...

I'm just about to start Pharmacy school (MWU-CCP) and need to know if it's a good idea to simultaneously work at a local pharmacy. I don't live too far away from my school (probably 15 mins, maybe 40 with traffic) so I'm going to be commuting and i wanted to know how big a role that plays in attending pharmacy school. I used to work at the same pharmacy where I am being offered a job (again) and am wondering if its too much of a strain to ATTEND PHARMACY SCHOOL (AS A COMMUTER STUDENT), AND WORK AT A LOCAL PHARMACY . I'd like any and every opinion from people who are in the same situation and from those who already have experiences such as these.

Thanks

It depends on the individual. I go to MWU-CPG and commute a minimum of 40 minutes each way and work 16 hours a week on average. It depends how much time you need for studying and how important straight A's are for you to a degree (and then there's Lord999 who worked practically full time and graduate Magna Cum laude...but I would say that's an exception), and what your support system is like.

Working can give you very valuable experience that will be helpful both in class and on rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
See the thing is I've been awarded financial aid and one of the apects of it is a Work-Study program. Now i'm not exactly clear on how work-study works....but wouldn't it be the same if I work on my own rather than work-study if i'd be getting the same amount of money??

nparikh84 said:
See the thing is I've been awarded financial aid and one of the apects of it is a Work-Study program. Now i'm not exactly clear on how work-study works....but wouldn't it be the same if I work on my own rather than work-study if i'd be getting the same amount of money??

Difference is Work-study = not taxed!!!

It seems working while in school has been discussed a bit here. I think it just comes down to if you can handle it or not. And if you really need money. I chose to work, i guess the trade off is that i dont have a perfect GPA, but i dont need a perfect GPA. Just depends on the person. Though one consideration is that as an intern, you generally get paid pretty well and now i get 14 an hour, which is more than work study will pay. I think its good to work in school, especially when that top 200 comes around and you already know brand/generic names. Working helps you to become more familiar with the meds and the functioning of a pharmacy.
What may be best is to hold off for a semester or so and see if you can handle working and school.
Andrea

I'm a second year at MWU-CCP and my commute is an hour at the most one way. I worked about 10hrs/week at a hospital and it was really stressful. I ended up quitting before spring quarter began. My grades didn't suffer much, but I'm glad I took the spring quarter off so I could make sure I made AGO. This year I have a part time job at a pharmacy (8-10hrs/week), but the shifts are much better (I used to get out at 11:30pm when I worked at the hospital!) and my boss is really understanding (she's a MWU alum) so I'm hoping it will work out better. This year I'm not too concerned about gpa either so I hope my overall stress level will go down.

I started doing work study over the summer and I would recommend it. It's $10/hr for community service and I'm at a place where I can just come and go whenever I please. I'm not sure if I'll be doing it alot during school though because of time constraints and the fact that I make more at my other job (but I'm not sure what that comes out to after taxes).

I have always felt working at a pharmacy during the school year was a key to my success on the boards. It also tremendously helped me in many of the practical classes. Seeing drug interactions, generic/trade names, medications in use, counseling, pharmacy law, etc. etc. is a reinforcement (and sometimes an introduction) to everything you see in class.

I didn't work during my first year but plan to during second. I agree with GravyRPH. While working, I realized I could have gained a lot more from my classes had I been working.

In my opinion, if you're going to work your first semester, just keep it to a few hours a week. Once you get used to pharmacy school then you can decide if you can personally handle more hours.

I opted not to work my first year and am thinking I probably won't work this year either. I do of course work during the summers and holidays, but I think the extra free time really helps me during the semester.

In my opinion, if you're going to work your first semester, just keep it to a few hours a week. Once you get used to pharmacy school then you can decide if you can personally handle more hours.

I opted not to work my first year and am thinking I probably won't work this year either. I do of course work during the summers and holidays, but I think the extra free time really helps me during the semester.

agreed.

I'll be attending MWU-CCP this fall as well and will be working one day a week. I also have work study, so we'll see how that works out.

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know if we're required to work a minimum number of hours each quarter/semester to keep our work study? I tried e-mailing the financial aid office, but it seems they don't like answering questions! :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Old thread...didn't want to start a new one since I have a similar question.

I am planning to save $$ on food/rent and commute to pharmacy school from my home, 40 minutes each way. Can anyone who commutes tell me their experiences? How does it affect your studies? Your social life? Do you have time to work? Or take part in organizations? Please, any advice and insight regarding commuting to pharm school would be appreciated.

I worked in a pharmacy on Saturdays and during vacations throughout my time at uni to which I commuted every day.
What I regret now is missing out on the social life. However, still had a great time.
johnep

Working at a pharmacy during pharmacy school is only good if you're passing your classes....

just sayin'.

I don't understand how one could not handle a few hours a week at pharmacy along with school.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that working/interning at a pharmacy while you're in pharmacy school is much more important than grades. When it comes down to getting a job, most employers could care less about your grades, they want experience. Networking is key as well.

Of course this changes a bit if you plan on doing a residency (something that's going to be a tall order here in a few years)...then grades take on more importance.

I'll go so far as to say, if you're not working during school, good luck getting a job when you get out. Most people on here are talking about the fact that CVS, walgreens, etc, are only hiring their interns and not taking many outside applicants.

So in my view, working is more important than school or grades. My employer has only a handful of jobs open in the entire country right now, and I have been told that they are pretty much tossing out the apps of people who havent had experience with the company. On the other hand, after talking with a recruiter the other day, I was told that it is possible if I have 4 yrs intern experience, to get hired even when there is not an official opening, simply because the company's goal is to retain as many already trained people as they can so that they dont have to retrain or train a new hire in the future.

I'll go so far as to say, if you're not working during school, good luck getting a job when you get out. Most people on here are talking about the fact that CVS, walgreens, etc, are only hiring their interns and not taking many outside applicants.

So in my view, working is more important than school or grades. My employer has only a handful of jobs open in the entire country right now, and I have been told that they are pretty much tossing out the apps of people who havent had experience with the company. On the other hand, after talking with a recruiter the other day, I was told that it is possible if I have 4 yrs intern experience, to get hired even when there is not an official opening, simply because the company's goal is to retain as many already trained people as they can so that they dont have to retrain or train a new hire in the future.

That's up for debate. I've heard many people online and in person talk about it and it really seems to be a 50/50 on that one. But then again, this is where the applicant really needs to show his worth.

It doesn't take long for someone like me to get used to a certain style of work flow or even a certain type of program used by techs and pharmacists. I've never worked for Walgreens or CVS but I can guarantee you I can master the work flow in a week or less.

That's up for debate. I've heard many people online and in person talk about it and it really seems to be a 50/50 on that one. But then again, this is where the applicant really needs to show his worth.

It doesn't take long for someone like me to get used to a certain style of work flow or even a certain type of program used by techs and pharmacists. I've never worked for Walgreens or CVS but I can guarantee you I can master the work flow in a week or less.

Do you have extensive retail experience? If so, I can (maybe) buy that, if not, are you serious? You are implying that all these people on the boards here with years of experience are basically no faster or more efficient than you are? What about building a quality managerial style and learning about how to do all the corporate reports to get high scores and still save time.. You could "master" all that in a week's time?

But on the other hand, say you got experience in retail and know **** like the back of your hand, i would buy being able to move from one chain to another easily - which leads me to agree with your first point.. It still seems crazy to me that a company will hire someone for 6 figures without prior experience, but I guess that goes to show you that the shortage is still out there in some places, and also , companies could be hiring outside their intern pool but still from other candidates who had retail experience, which would add to your 50/50 numbers.

Do you have extensive retail experience? If so, I can (maybe) buy that, if not, are you serious? You are implying that all these people on the boards here with years of experience are basically no faster or more efficient than you are? What about building a quality managerial style and learning about how to do all the corporate reports to get high scores and still save time.. You could "master" all that in a week's time?

But on the other hand, say you got experience in retail and know **** like the back of your hand, i would buy being able to move from one chain to another easily - which leads me to agree with your first point.. It still seems crazy to me that a company will hire someone for 6 figures without prior experience, but I guess that goes to show you that the shortage is still out there in some places, and also , companies could be hiring outside their intern pool but still from other candidates who had retail experience, which would add to your 50/50 numbers.

I've worked for an independent pharmacy for about 7 years: 2 years as a clerk, 4 years as a tech, and 1 year as an intern.

But even with your last point, many pharmacy students I go to school with have zero hours as an intern (minus IPPE hours). Is it really likely that all of these people will be struggling to find a job in 1-2 years?

I've worked for an independent pharmacy for about 7 years: 2 years as a clerk, 4 years as a tech, and 1 year as an intern.

But even with your last point, many pharmacy students I go to school with have zero hours as an intern (minus IPPE hours). Is it really likely that all of these people will be struggling to find a job in 1-2 years?

IF the market gets substantially worse (depending on all the factors like the legislation and the economy recovering), or even slightly worse (new schools?), I would bet that people with zero hours as an intern will be struggling to find jobs in major cities. Given that from what i hear its easy right now to get jobs if you have intern hours, maybe 'difficult' for people with no experience right now in some of the tough markets. If it gets worse, you would expect these are the people who are going to start having a harder time, considering a company will always tend to hire from within first. Granted, having 7 years of experience in general would be a huge win that would lift your chances way above those with no "company" experience, right? Hell at that point you might as well use your talents to make your own money (open your own shop) as opposed to wasting your independent experience in a chain.

I can't get hired ...

All retail chains say they are full. No more spots for interns.

:thumbdown:

Wait until May or June, when the p4 students leave. Many of their spots will open up at that time, before the p1 class arrives in the fall.

People are: scrambling, moving, and freaking out about jobs. It is becoming pretty freakin' difficult to get a job.

Target wasn't even at this last career fair... ;)

Oh. And, the career fairs were smaller this year than last year.

So... I disagree with renetto.

Especially in retail. Grades doesn't matter, work experience counts more.

The chains don't want you to be spewing out clinical knowledge to the patients, that doesn't help the profit. They want you to get their meds to them correctly and quickly and move on to the next. And that kind of speed and how to manage the workflow can only be learned through doing it day after day.

Well since this thread is already necro'd, I'd like to throw in my similar situation...

I'm a retail tech atm, and I'm not sure if I should keep my job when I start pharm school this fall.
On one hand, I could work like once a week to keep the job and I'd probably have easy access to an intern position once I get my intern license (since I will have been with the company 3 years at that point). Once I graduate I'd have 6 years with the company so getting hired as a pharmacist probably wouldn't be a problem.
On the other hand, I'm not exactly thrilled with retail from what I've experienced and don't think I'd like to end up in retail. I kinda wanted to have my weekends free during pharm school too so I could focus on keeping my grades high and other things (getting kinda tired of saying "No I can't, I have work...). What are the internship opportunities outside of retail and are they hard to get (I would imagine so... just wondering though)?

I'm working as an intern at a hospital. I started about 4 months before school started. I'm maintaining good working relationships with our managers and pharmacists, and also the technicians. It probably helps that I'm one of the only two male interns/technicians at the hospital :) I've NEVER had a nurse lose patience with me - on the contrary, they're quite friendly!

I'm also trying to work as much as I can. For one, the extra income is nice; also, I need to get used to balancing work and school, I've accepted this.

Bonus: the hospital I work at gives huge preference to its interns for residency spots - they actively recruit (as things stand). Also, they almost exclusively hire their own residents. The hospital is actually expanding quite rapidly right now.

Keep your options open, smile often, volunteer to pick up shifts when needed, and don't whine. NETWORK!

I've been shocked at just how small the pharmacy world is; indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if I know some of you! This is something I've heard quoted often and it's so so true.

However, I've found working during school to be extremely fun and rewarding. Also, it's a great learning tool. I was on scholarship for my "undergrad" experience, and worked minimally, just enough to get by. Working is great! I am so happy with pharmacy!

Sorry guys, huge huge rant...

Well since this thread is already necro'd, I'd like to throw in my similar situation...

I'm a retail tech atm, and I'm not sure if I should keep my job when I start pharm school this fall.
On one hand, I could work like once a week to keep the job and I'd probably have easy access to an intern position once I get my intern license (since I will have been with the company 3 years at that point). Once I graduate I'd have 6 years with the company so getting hired as a pharmacist probably wouldn't be a problem.
On the other hand, I'm not exactly thrilled with retail from what I've experienced and don't think I'd like to end up in retail. I kinda wanted to have my weekends free during pharm school too so I could focus on keeping my grades high and other things (getting kinda tired of saying "No I can't, I have work...). What are the internship opportunities outside of retail and are they hard to get (I would imagine so... just wondering though)?

My school made all 1st semester students get an intern license for the state I was currently in, which means you have to turn in your pharmacy technician license as a result.

So in a way, you really have no choice depending on your school.

My school made all 1st semester students get an intern license for the state I was currently in, which means you have to turn in your pharmacy technician license as a result.

So in a way, you really have no choice depending on your school.

Well, I don't think that really answers the question lol. Either way the decision comes down to whether to work as an intern or quit my job.

Well, I don't think that really answers the question lol. Either way the decision comes down to whether to work as an intern or quit my job.

Oh my bad lol I thought you were trying to ask if you should continue working as a tech and I thought "well, technically they can't".

Honestly, do whatever you think will benefit yourself more. People on this forum like to say "blah blah blah interning is better than your grades" but interning won't be worth a damn if you're failing your classes. If you want to do it, make sure you can handle the load.

Continue working as an intern for reasons already mentioned, but also because once you get out of the system it's exceedingly difficult to get back in!! And you don't have to work often, just once every now and then. It's really a good educational tool, too.

How about commuting? No one has answered my previous question yet...that's why I resurrected this old thread.....

How about commuting? No one has answered my previous question yet...that's why I resurrected this old thread.....

Yes commute, 40 min isn't that far/long. Save money on rent and food. Work every Friday and Saturday, study Sunday and the rest of the week. You don't need a social life while in pharmacy school it can wait till you graduate.

I will be commuting 2 hours every Friday and Sunday (will be staying the entire weekend) to and from my job in Phoenix. The pay, benefits, tuition reimbursement, and experience is all worth it. I am not a big partier or anything so I won't be missing out on much. I know the social aspect of pharm school is more important to some people though. Like others said, everything comes with a price. Your commuting + working is going to eat up a big chunk of time. You will probably want to take that time out of your social time rather than study time. If you're ok with that, then why not? I say go for it. I know I am not quite there yet experiencing it but from what many pharm students have told me, some regretted NOT working at least through P1 year and most are glad they did it because of the money and experience. It is a good way to put all that knowledge from class into practice. In a way, I imagine it would HELP you with your learning and help you do well in your classes. At least I am hoping lol

Okay, here is one for you guys: is it better to work at one place for more hours/week or work at two places for less hours/week each?

A handful of people that I've talked to at my pharmacy school work two internships: usually one retail and one hospital, or work retail and research. I'm thinking about doing the same thing because I believe networking is incredibly important and I want to establish relationships with as many people as possible. It will also be helpful to try my hand at something other than retail and see which I like better.

The thing is, I only want to commit a certain number of hours to working in general, so those would have to be divided between the two places. I'm talking like 20 hours every 2 weeks, so alternating between approximately 10 hours per week at one place and 10 hours per week at another place.

Beneficial or no?

Wow, same question that's been asked over and over again, but what a difference 5 years makes!

Look at 05, and somewhat even 08, people are telling the OP not to work, or to only work a few hours. Nowadays most people advise 10-20 hours a week, since the job market is more competitive and you need experience.

If someone thinks about not working in pharmacy school now, people are outraged.

Okay, here is one for you guys: is it better to work at one place for more hours/week or work at two places for less hours/week each?

A handful of people that I've talked to at my pharmacy school work two internships: usually one retail and one hospital, or work retail and research. I'm thinking about doing the same thing because I believe networking is incredibly important and I want to establish relationships with as many people as possible. It will also be helpful to try my hand at something other than retail and see which I like better.

The thing is, I only want to commit a certain number of hours to working in general, so those would have to be divided between the two places. I'm talking like 20 hours every 2 weeks, so alternating between approximately 10 hours per week at one place and 10 hours per week at another place.

Beneficial or no?

my opinion:

while it is beneficial to do two jobs instead of one (since the market is changing) remember as a first year pharm student you wanna see how much you can handle with school (like can you get away with studying for 10 hours a week or do you need more time). School comes first (I'm not talking about rho chi/deans list unless you are into that stuff).

Personally I think it is no excuse for a pharmacy student not to have a pharmacy job while to school. Two jobs are good but the problem is that they might want certain days that overlap with your other job....in my experience it didn't work out cause one boss wanted every saturday and the other boss wanted every other weekend. Plus they wanted the same holidays for me to work. So my plan was to work at a chain for 2 years for pharm school and then switch to hospital for my last 2 years. I left my chain in good terms and it helped me get networking experience.

In your situation, I don't know if you already have the 2 jobs lined up and no there is no overlap. If there isn't any overlap I think you should go for both jobs (after you started school and see how it is...you should add the 2nd job)

You should get a job in a pharmacy before you embark on a pre-pharmacy program! It blows me away how many people have no idea what they're getting into, and find the theory interesting and the actual practice, well, not compatible for them.

I actually did my pharmacy work during the summers, and was a hotel banquet server year-round in part because the money was much better AND the whole 3 1/2 years I worked there, there were NO pharmacy students. :p When I started, there was a former pharmacy student who had just graduated with a liberal arts degree, and told me, "Get out now while you still have brain cells." :laugh: I also made sure not to live with pharmacy students; it was so great to get away from that occasionally!