Working during Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the first two years of D-school are pretty grueling and I shouldn't expect to work during that time, and 3rd and 4th year are a little less time consuming. So, does anyone work during d-school. If so, what kind of jobs do you recommend? How many hours are good? Also, I heard that some states allow 3rd year dental students to work as hygienists. Do the students need to be certified first? Also, can you work as a hygienist during the week or mainly on Saturday? Lastly, which states allow this?

I'm the type of person who likes to have money in their pockets and a workaholic so I'll probably work during the last two years.

Thanks for info.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like anyone that knows about what states allow you to sit for the DH boards written and clinical, at what pt in dental school are we qualified to do such cleanings. Is anybody currently doing this?
Anybody that has knowledge on this subject I would gladly appreciate it.

wannabedr said:
I know the first two years of D-school are pretty grueling and I shouldn't expect to work during that time, and 3rd and 4th year are a little less time consuming. So, does anyone work during d-school. If so, what kind of jobs do you recommend? How many hours are good? Also, I heard that some states allow 3rd year dental students to work as hygienists. Do the students need to be certified first? Also, can you work as a hygienist during the week or mainly on Saturday? Lastly, which states allow this?

I'm the type of person who likes to have money in their pockets and a workaholic so I'll probably work during the last two years.

Thanks for info.

I've worked D2-D4, averaging maybe 5 hrs/week. A classmate of mine (D4) holds down a 30hr/wk job. Just depends on the time you have, and other school-related commitments.

You'd have to check with individual state boards to determine if 2 yrs of dental school is enough to be eligible to take the DH licensure board. (There are one or two in my class who do it on Saturdays, I believe) Check with the state you're in school with to determine that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a mini workstudy job right now as a D1, but it's only 4-5 hours a week, so no big time commitment. I definitely wouldn't have time for any more than that.

at Tufts, I've heard you can work as a hygienist.. I haven't looked much into it though, since I'm still getting through 1st year. So maybe MA is one of the states that allows it.

massachusetts allows you to take the exam after 2nd year.

i know a person from vcu that works as Dh on the weekends.. so virginia is in that boat too.

right now i work some on and off about 5-15 hours a week.. the work is usually done in my easy weeks

is there any way to work summers as a D1 and D2 as well? my employer agreed to let me transfer to a different store and give me a leave of absence each school year so that i could come back during the summers...