Working during dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pntbutter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it doable? What years would be best or worst years to work? I'm looking into working 10-20 hrs per week.

Members don't see this ad.

Anything is doable if you put your mind to it....well almost anything.
Now I would highly discourage you from working while attending dental school. Dental school is very intense. You are required to read and digest alot of new information and spend countless hours practising and learning. You should give your dental education your undivided attention, trust me it's well worth it. It's ok to borrow a little bit more money if you have to, just be responsible about it, only what you need.
You do not want to graduate w/ anything less than the best education you can have. and "that's the bottom line" :)

There is a girl in my class who works Friday and Saturday nights. She is doing very well in all our classes... I don't know how she does it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it doable? What years would be best or worst years to work? I'm looking into working 10-20 hrs per week.

10-20 hours per week?

Borrow the money and then pay it back when you are making the wages of a dentist. It is not worth the time away from studying to work as you are considering IMO.

Yeah it can be done. However more often than not your grades will not be as strong as the would be if you just focused on school. But if you just plan to get through dental school, get your degree and start practicing..thats fine. If you want to say, specialize.... probably not the best idea in the long run.

There is a girl in my class who works Friday and Saturday nights. She is doing very well in all our classes... I don't know how she does it.

mmm she probably just cuts "going out" out of her schedule (i would personally go crazy if i couldn't get out a couple nights a week). i don't think any dental students study on friday and saturday nights, nor should they.

jb!:)

We had a guy in our class that worked a 40 hour a week 3rd shift job at a fortune 500 company.

This guy would work 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM. Get off work and get a cup of coffee and a donut on the way to school. Then he would be at school from 8:00 to 4:30/5:00. Then after all that, he would go home to his wife and 2 kids!

This guy was amazing! He did not tell anyone what he was doing because he though the school administation would hassle him. He graduated on time and in the middle of the class.

I don't know how he did it!

Maybe I'm just an inefficient studier, but I dunno how I'd survive if I didn't study in the library during my "free time" out of class. Could I work a job right now? Yeah, right.

We had a guy in our class that worked a 40 hour a week 3rd shift job at a fortune 500 company.

This guy would work 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM. Get off work and get a cup of coffee and a donut on the way to school. Then he would be at school from 8:00 to 4:30/5:00. Then after all that, he would go home to his wife and 2 kids!

This guy was amazing! He did not tell anyone what he was doing because he though the school administation would hassle him. He graduated on time and in the middle of the class.

I don't know how he did it!

so when did he sleep? I want to work because it gives me something productive to do outside of school, and possibly will provide me with health insurance. the school's insurance is outrageously expensive and its not even that great of a plan. What do you guys think about 3rd and 4th year, I hear that it's mostly 8-5 everyday, which leaves plenty of time for a side job?

In some states, 3rd year dental students can get their hygiene license and make $30/hr part time.