Working during Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjackson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Med students work during Med school or just the summers between years? If so, can you work during all 4 years and what kinds of jobs (and where) can you work (medically related work, that is)?

Thanks,

Sean

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is: it depends...

Some school will have you sign an agreement at the beginning of your first year that you agree not to work during medical school. At others, it is at your discretion whether you want to work or not, but the study schedule is brutal enough that, unless you have a easy job, where you spend most of your time studying anyways, working becomes out of the question.

Third and fourth year rotations run consecutively, so you don't have the time to work. Whatever free time is built into your schedule you will be using it for your residency interviews.

Some of my classmates work at our study hall, which gives them the chance to study while they are at work. Someone has a one intensive weekend a month job. The majority doesn't work though.

As for working in health related fields, some schools will make you sign an agreement that you will not do so (no matter whether you are a licensed professional in that field, such as nurses or PAs), without the authorization of the school. This is done to prevent instances where you may find yourself suspected of practicing medicine without a license.

Don't make a commitment to work before you start medical school, nor count on work income to help pay your way through. Plan on relying exclusively on loans to begin with and then see how you feel about working after you have been in school for a couple of months and what the policies of your school are in this area.

You only get one summer during med school!

Sorry, not true. I get two.

I should qualify that: there are quite a number of weeks during my 3rd and 4th years that will be free, if you consider 3rd year starting in June (by which time most at my school have taken boards). Some are jumping in to rotations; others are going backpacking in europe for a month. Depending on a few pending life events, I may decide to jump in early and take time off later, or drink it all in after boards and just sloth around for a bit.

As for working in med school... the spin I like to put on it is: what will it REALLY get you? You'll likely make minimum money, it will compete with your studies for time, and in the grand scheme of the world which you will enter, it's a few drops in the bucket and won't really change your overall loan status or anything. I can't imagine a financial aid office being cruel/stupid enough not to adequately meet a student's needs who has exhausted all better options. Try to do everything else but: the academic year should be just that: academics. With some fun thrown in. But don't let a job compete for your interest and attention.