Working during med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heldicus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if it's feasible for med students to maintain jobs while going to school. If so, how many hours per week? If not, what do most people do for money? Beg from the parental units? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about working. Your financial aid office should provide you with a reasonable amount of money to to live on. And you really won't have time for a job between the hours you'll be in class and the time you need to study.

I don't work and neither do the vast majority of people in my class. Those that do work very few hours.

I wouldn't recommend working (except maybe some work-study), you'll be very busy already. Its worth taking out more loans to maintain some semblance of sanity. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a second year and have worked an average of 10 hours a week at banana republic since the first week of my first year. A lot of people give me grief saying, "Oh my gosh, I couldn't find the time". Well, truth is, sometimes I find myself needing an escape from all things medicine and my job at banana has been the perfect escape. Plus, I get a discount on clothes that will be useful for those clinical years, and they are really flexible with me around exam times. I wouldn't recommend a job for everyone, it's just something I need to keep my head straight. :)

I work as a CPR instructor and will be an ACLS instructor soon. 20 bucks/hour. not bad pocket money. i know several that do this.

later

I also work as a sort of distraction from med school. I would see how your first semester or so goes before making any committment to working, especially if you are thinking of working more than 10 hours/week right off the bat.

Does anybody teach the mcat while in med school? I'm thinking about getting a job w/kaplan or princeton review, and wanted to know if anyone is doing this and how is it affecting their school work?

I have tutored some private school kids throughout the past couple of years for some extra cash. It is minimal time and good pay. Not a bad setup.
And working actually helps in organizing the study time...

Originally posted by Deuce 007 MD
Does anybody teach the mcat while in med school? I'm thinking about getting a job w/kaplan or princeton review, and wanted to know if anyone is doing this and how is it affecting their school work?

That is the most common job to have while in med school. Not just MCATs, but also SATs. There are a couple students in each first and second year class who teach with minimum time committments and they make decent money.

I'm planning on doing 10 hours/week in my current lab. I plan on doing the first two years of med school than breaking to do a PhD - in the mean time my PI (an MD, by the way) wants to keep me involved in the lab. He is really cool about balancing classes and work - he has suggested that rather than actually running experiments, that I just be involved in the planning, analysis, and writing parts (stuff I can do on evenings, weekends, and whenever I find the time). He also suggested that I do some in-depth reading into different topics that are relevant to our research (getting paid to study!). The job will be an official research assistantship, so I'll get tuition and health benefits on top of decent pay. This should cover 1/4 to 1/3 of my student budget for the first two years. I feel really really lucky to be in such a situation - not only do I get compensated generously, but it's also a great learning opportunity.

Originally posted by Adcadet
I'm planning on doing 10 hours/week in my current lab. I plan on doing the first two years of med school than breaking to do a PhD - in the mean time my PI (an MD, by the way) wants to keep me involved in the lab. He is really cool about balancing classes and work - he has suggested that rather than actually running experiments, that I just be involved in the planning, analysis, and writing parts (stuff I can do on evenings, weekends, and whenever I find the time). He also suggested that I do some in-depth reading into different topics that are relevant to our research (getting paid to study!). The job will be an official research assistantship, so I'll get tuition and health benefits on top of decent pay. This should cover 1/4 to 1/3 of my student budget for the first two years. I feel really really lucky to be in such a situation - not only do I get compensated generously, but it's also a great learning opportunity.

*is eaten alive by the green-eyed monster*

cool opportunity! :)

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
*is eaten alive by the green-eyed monster*

cool opportunity! :)

Yeah. Hence the reason I pulled my other apps as soon as I was accepted by Minnesota :)

Originally posted by Bonds756
That is the most common job to have while in med school. Not just MCATs, but also SATs. There are a couple students in each first and second year class who teach with minimum time committments and they make decent money.

I teach for TPR right now and plan to take summer and fall off to rest and get adjusted to MS1 and will probably resume teaching in the spring. Typically it's between 2-5 hours of instruction time, and about 5 hours of outside prep work/grading/office hours. During class time and office hours, it's $22 an hour.

You can also proctor the diag tests on the weekends (sit at a desk and study while the kiddos freak out!) for $60 a day. $30 for the LSAT or SAT, which has a few more interruptions because of the shorter test segments In either case, it's good money, in my book, to be paid for a day of studying.

Originally posted by Pinki
I teach for TPR right now and plan to take summer and fall off to rest and get adjusted to MS1 and will probably resume teaching in the spring. Typically it's between 2-5 hours of instruction time, and about 5 hours of outside prep work/grading/office hours. During class time and office hours, it's $22 an hour.

You can also proctor the diag tests on the weekends (sit at a desk and study while the kiddos freak out!) for $60 a day. $30 for the LSAT or SAT, which has a few more interruptions because of the shorter test segments In either case, it's good money, in my book, to be paid for a day of studying.

only 60? I get $130 for proctoring! My teaching comes out to about $30 per hour for 3 hour sessions, and $25 per hour for 6 hour sessions.

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
only 60? I get $130 for proctoring! My teaching comes out to about $30 per hour for 3 hour sessions, and $25 per hour for 6 hour sessions.

For whom do you teach? Are you a guy? Damn that glass ceiling!:p

I am a guy..a top prep company..I'm the man :cool:

Wow! I didn't expect so many people to be working in med school. I don't know if I'd want to try that. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Just wondering though, does anyone work as ER tech? I know there are a lot of EMTs are there.