Working during medical school: Worthwhile jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealDrDorian

Dr. Acula
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

I hope to begin medical school this fall, and plan to throughout my tenure. I just wanted to know if anyone has any jobs they think are beneficial career wise (i.e. paid research position) as opposed to a job purely to make money (i.e. waiter). I've been trying to think of some, but have not had much success.

Thanks to all for input.

Members don't see this ad.

I think research is probably going to be your best bet. I haven't done it, but students who have note that the hours are flexible, profs are understanding about your classes, don't have to work too much, etc. I guess if you had to work, I'd go that route. Also you might want to check with your med school, some schools explicitly prohibit students from holding a job during their tenure at the school.

Editorial disclaimer:: My $.02, I'd avoid a job at all costs. You've got enough on your plate as it is. I don't know what your personal situation is, but even top students need to study enough to not have time for a job.

Be a guinea pig. You can be involved in a study and get a couple of hundred dollars for letting them poke you with stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would try the first block without working, see how it rolls for ya. I could probably pull it off but would have to sacrifice my social life which would drive me nutty which would probably affect my grades so I decided against it after I saw how much effort I needed to expend to get the grads/understaning of the material that I had aimed for. People do it, but unless you are brilliant (which you may be) you will probably have to sacrifice either your grades or your fun time for it. I would guess that something that lets you work night shifts would be best, mabey as an EMT. Also make sure that your job has some flexiblity that will allow you more time off as you approach an exam and need to put in some extra hours.

Another job that a friend of mine has that doesn't require that much time or effort is Kaplan prep course teacher. If you've scored high enough on an exam (i.e. MCAT, SAT, ACT) then you could probably hold that job w/o much trouble.

Another job that a friend of mine has that doesn't require that much time or effort is Kaplan prep course teacher. If you've scored high enough on an exam (i.e. MCAT, SAT, ACT) then you could probably hold that job w/o much trouble.

There are other threads on this too if you want to hear more people's opinions on it.

I work for Princeton Review and plan to continue to do so in medical school. If you know your stuff the teaching is easy enough and then by working for them you have the chance to take on proctoring jobs where you get paid to study and call time every couple of hours. Not a bad deal.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't recommend starting while in med school. The first time you teach it takes HOURS to prep the classes (which are 2.5 hrs each). So if you want to do this teach this summer so your lectures will already be made by the time you teach in medical school. Otherwise you will seriously kill yourself trying to find time to make all your lectures.

PA! Flexible shifts in the ED and good money for the time investment. Course, you have to be a PA first...and probably a bit of a masochist to go back for another helping....:rolleyes:

PA! Flexible shifts in the ED and good money for the time investment. Course, you have to be a PA first...and probably a bit of a masochist to go back for another helping....:rolleyes:

I actually gave this option considerable thought, but the PA program made up my mind for me via rejection.

I work 10-25 hours/week as a med tech, and I have carte blanch as far as the schedule goes. I have access to a small amount of research, and I get considerable access to faculty interaction. I probably wouldn't do it if it I didn't get $30/hour, but it brings me some sanity to be around everyday Joe's from time to time. Of course this only works because I was already a certified and trained med tech.

Most people would not place their step 1 in jeopardy by working. The potential damage to your number of specialty choices is too great to risk it. Some may view it as sacrificing a lifetime of satisfaction for a relatively small monetary benefit in the short term.

I plan to continue teaching spinning at a local gym. As few classes as possible though...just using it as an excuse to work out and make money at the same time.

If you are fluent in another language, try to get a translation gig going. I do translations and its pretty good money. If you translate technical stuff, like research articles you can charge even more. Also you can work from home or wherever on your laptop and can surf the internet while you work:laugh:
Im now working for the med school administration translating stuff into English for them, including our school website.

Two words: Sperm Donator.

'nuff said. :cool:

I actually gave this option considerable thought, but the PA program made up my mind for me via rejection.

I work 10-25 hours/week as a med tech, and I have carte blanch as far as the schedule goes. I have access to a small amount of research, and I get considerable access to faculty interaction. I probably wouldn't do it if it I didn't get $30/hour, but it brings me some sanity to be around everyday Joe's from time to time. Of course this only works because I was already a certified and trained med tech.

Most people would not place their step 1 in jeopardy by working. The potential damage to your number of specialty choices is too great to risk it. Some may view it as sacrificing a lifetime of satisfaction for a relatively small monetary benefit in the short term.

I think that might be the best avatar I've seen yet.

Startup a Tutor & Admissions Consulting Firm.

This works especially well over the summer for students who want to get a head start on the next season of applications, or for students who just missed out on the current cycle, and you can carry the practice over into the fall. You can guide study, proof essays, advise on volunteer/ECs. Way i approached it was to always play to my marketable strengths, which were science and math (biomedical engineering in ugrad). Try it out with 1 or 2 people, build up your confidence and credibility, and then use those first couple as references for the rest. (can you tell i secretly want an MBA :love:). Even if you don't have a lot of confidence in yourself, just try it out and see how it goes. You can charge fixed hourly rates: $ x for tutoring. $ y for proofing. $ z for application advice to family. After doing this for a while and building a correspondence with my students, I would have them email their essay's to me and I could do my work from home and save money on gas.

Do not work unless you are 100% percent sure you can study as much as you want to. I guarantee you that if, as an M4, you can't get that ENT spot b/c your Step1 score was low you will wonder if those 15 hours a week as a tech were worth the money.

You have a job now. Welcome.