Working for a small vs large PT company

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

freshchineselumpia

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am currently working at a SNF but I am looking into moving into the outpatient ortho setting. I am a relatively new PT (been a PT for almost 2 yrs now). I wanted to know what the pros and cons are of a small PT owned clinic vs hospital owned or bigger company owned facilities are. I currently have an interviews scheduled with a PT owned facility (it's a small one, only one location with 2 PTs, 2 OTs and a COTA) and one with a facility is owned by a larger corporation with multiple facilities. Will a smaller company be able to provide the same kind of benefits a big company can? I've heard that there's a tendency for poor work life balance at these bigger companies.

Looking forward to reading your input! Thanks!
 
I have never worked for a small PT clinic, but I've worked there as an intern. I've also worked, as a physical therapist, in a physician-owned practice (POP). I can't say much about pay since neither one paid me directly, but POP's have several advantages. Because they are part of a large organization, they have a consistent flow of patients because PT is only an ancillary source of income in in a POP's. The POP I worked had plenty of space, plenty of equipment, and the building was in excellent condition. I know 2 PT's who work in POP's and they are both satisfied. I loved that I could interact with the nurses in the PACU. Usually they pay better. I've known people who work at a private practice and make $60-65k/year.