Working for an HMO?

Started by bluedaisy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluedaisy

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone here worked at a family practice clinic run by a big HMO like Kaiser or Sutter? Growing up, that's where I always went for health care, and since I know I definitely don't want to run my own practice I was interested in learning more about what it's like to work there. Could you tell me a little about your experience there, and if you would recommend it? In particular, I'm interested in working in an urban, mostly-medicaid environment.

Thanks!
 
bluedaisy said:
Has anyone here worked at a family practice clinic run by a big HMO like Kaiser or Sutter? Growing up, that's where I always went for health care, and since I know I definitely don't want to run my own practice I was interested in learning more about what it's like to work there. Could you tell me a little about your experience there, and if you would recommend it? In particular, I'm interested in working in an urban, mostly-medicaid environment.
Thanks!

A friend of mine works for Kaiser. He doesn't have to worry about covering his overhead. There are plenty of patients to be seen. Everything has its +s and -s.

An urban practice that sees mostly medicaid would probably need to be subsidized to make it. I see a large urban patient population. It can be very frustrating. Free clinics supported by charities have done well.

Good luck,

CambieMD