Working for an HMO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluedaisy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here worked at a family practice clinic run by a big HMO like Kaiser or Sutter? Growing up, that's where I always went for health care, and since I know I definitely don't want to run my own practice I was interested in learning more about what it's like to work there. Could you tell me a little about your experience there, and if you would recommend it? In particular, I'm interested in working in an urban, mostly-medicaid environment.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

bluedaisy said:
Has anyone here worked at a family practice clinic run by a big HMO like Kaiser or Sutter? Growing up, that's where I always went for health care, and since I know I definitely don't want to run my own practice I was interested in learning more about what it's like to work there. Could you tell me a little about your experience there, and if you would recommend it? In particular, I'm interested in working in an urban, mostly-medicaid environment.
Thanks!

A friend of mine works for Kaiser. He doesn't have to worry about covering his overhead. There are plenty of patients to be seen. Everything has its +s and -s.

An urban practice that sees mostly medicaid would probably need to be subsidized to make it. I see a large urban patient population. It can be very frustrating. Free clinics supported by charities have done well.

Good luck,

CambieMD