working for princeton review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonyjerry

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi does anyone know how much you get paid for teaching mcat classes for princeton review? is it by hour, which sections you teach (theres no way im doing verbal), etc... thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

tonyjerry said:
hi does anyone know how much you get paid for teaching mcat classes for princeton review? is it by hour, which sections you teach (theres no way im doing verbal), etc... thanks a lot

Its by hour and last I heard, it was around 20$.

I was going to teach bio, but I don't think I could have given it as much time as I would have liked/should have.

Adrian

I know that you have to qualify to teach each section and you qualify by scoring high in that section. I got an email asking me to teach but have not heard back yet. You paid 20 bucks per hour and I think you get free classes and books (or they are super discounted).

Members don't see this ad :)
W222 said:
I know that you have to qualify to teach each section and you qualify by scoring high in that section. I got an email asking me to teach but have not heard back yet. You paid 20 bucks per hour and I think you get free classes and books (or they are super discounted).

How high does one have to score in a section?

I scored a 12 in verbal and a 10 in bio, that was apparently enough becuase they said I qualified to teach both sections.

One of my PR teachers said that the requirements recently went down from 11 in a section to 10.

So yeah, 10+ and they'll let you teach it, unless they have some further screening.

I think the minimum score to teach varies for each location. I looked into teaching here at UT and was a bit discouraged when the guy said "While your score is great....12 (on physical) is on the lower end for our teachers." He may have just been giving me a line and it worked cause I didnt apply.

Any thoughts on teaching for TPR while going to med school?

I teach Bio, G Chem, & Verbal for PR. It's $20/hr ($50 per class), but you get raises after your first class based on student evals. You generally need an 11 in any section you wish to teach (but if the people in the office like you or think you'll be a good teacher you can get away with a 10). If you don't have 11 or above in any section, you can teach for Kaplan with a 10.

If you want to teach, they'll bring you in for an audition where you teach a subject of your choice for 5 minutes. I personally chose pimping, something I was familiar with. If you pass audition, you go into training for 1 weekend where you get paid minimum wage. At the end of training you have to give a lesson to your trainer & if you do well, you will be certified.

I would definitely suggest teaching for TPR while in medical school. Almost all of the teachers I know are in med school right now. The money's good & it's really only the 1st time you teach a given subject that it requires a significant amount of your time. After that, I've already made myself notes, so I glance at them for 5 minutes before class starts & then I'm ready to go. Hope this helps...

arsenalgunner said:
I teach Bio, G Chem, & Verbal for PR. It's $20/hr ($50 per class), but you get raises after your first class based on student evals. You generally need an 11 in any section you wish to teach (but if the people in the office like you or think you'll be a good teacher you can get away with a 10). If you don't have 11 or above in any section, you can teach for Kaplan with a 10.

If you want to teach, they'll bring you in for an audition where you teach a subject of your choice for 5 minutes. I personally chose pimping, something I was familiar with. If you pass audition, you go into training for 1 weekend where you get paid minimum wage. At the end of training you have to give a lesson to your trainer & if you do well, you will be certified.

I would definitely suggest teaching for TPR while in medical school. Almost all of the teachers I know are in med school right now. The money's good & it's really only the 1st time you teach a given subject that it requires a significant amount of your time. After that, I've already made myself notes, so I glance at them for 5 minutes before class starts & then I'm ready to go. Hope this helps...

Does TPR give you an outline to follow for each class or do you make your own? Do you do a lot of practice problems or a lot of lecture (probably depends on the class)?

Also, how much time would you say you had to spend preparing outside of class that first time you taught? Would that make starting to teach during the first year of med school difficult?

Personally, I'd love to teach for TPR (probably verbal section), but I just worry about the time commitment. I definitely have a tendency to overcommit myself.

TPR gives you a syllabus for each lecture telling you what topics to teach, what order to teach them in, and how long to spend per topic. I felt that these were OK references, but I generally switched them around quite a bit to focus on what was most important for my students.

The first time you teach prep does take a long time!!! I personally made notes in word with diagrams & images for my students for each lecture, so my prep time could take several hours. Most teachers don't make notes, so their prep time is only a couple of hours or so. This is definitely a pain when you're teaching 8-10 classes & I wouldn't want to have to prep like that while in med school. (Verbal instructors don't have to prep near as much, basically you just have your students do passages all the time, but the other subjects are lecture heavy & you only do 1-2 practice problems each class)

I would suggest contacting an office near you this week so you could teach a class over the summer. Then you could have all your prep taken care of before you start school.

For god's sake, DON'T TEACH IF YOUR NOT QUALIFIED, or CAN'T COMMIT THE TIME.. :mad:

It will only waste my time (had a ******* teacher in biology that couldn't tell a signaling particle from her a$$.) In the end, I wish I had just bought the books from a friend and spent the time studying on my own, instead of listening to my "teacher's" a$$ backwards drivel. I mean, come on, if you're gonna teach, at least feel comfortable with the subject matter, or commit the time to feel comfortable with it.

Rant over... :D

i'm suprised most of you guys are saying that princeton review requires a minimum score on the mcat.

i was gonna teach bio for princeton review this past summer, but decided against it because it's alot of work (you def. want to prepare lectures for your class well) and not many working hours. but the pay is pretty good. if i remember correcntly, they pay around 25 bucks for MCAT per hour and i think you'll be teaching for a total of like 22 hours for the course.

basically, they'll take anyone who knows their stuff. you don't even have to have had taken the mcat. you call whatever center is closest to you, set up an appointment time, take a section test (biology for me because that's what i wanted to teach), and then you give a 5 min. teaching demonstration on any topic you want.

if you do well on the diagnostic test AND they like your teaching style, they invite you for training. training is 2 days long (paid). they send you books (which you can keep). you're assigned classwork AND you're assigned a topic to teach again (in front of the other trainees). so long as you pass training, you're hired.